Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pitbull

One week until pitchers & catchers report...

20 posts in this topic

...and Big Dan has done NOTHING to improve a Last Place team. Terrible!

Given the amount of unsigned players out there, I'd say a lot of teams are in the same position.

Yeah my gut reaction was it's really one week until catchers reports, and some other guys who will try throwing to them... 

2 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Given the amount of unsigned players out there, I'd say a lot of teams are in the same position.

A lot of teams didn’t finish last in their division. Just the fact that there so many unsigned players is even more reason why the team should already be improved. The O’s should be taking advantage of the situation. And trust me, I know I’m dreaming.

Edited by bmore_ken

On 2/6/2018 at 3:12 PM, bmore_ken said:

A lot of teams didn’t finish last in their division. Just the fact that there so many unsigned players is even more reason why the team should already be improved. The O’s should be taking advantage of the situation. And trust me, I know I’m dreaming.

I agree wholeheartedly.

You're trying to tell me that there aren't pitchers out there who would

1) be an upgrade over what we had last year

and

2) aren't getting desperate enough to jump on a one or two year deal at $5 to 8 million a year?

Edited by JoyinMudville

1 hour ago, JoyinMudville said:

I agree wholeheartedly.

You're trying to tell me that there aren't pitchers out there who would

1) be an upgrade over what we had last year

and

2) aren't getting desperate enough to jump on a one or two year deal at $5 to 8 million a year?

It's pretty pathetic if you ask me.

They did acquire two new pitchers:

The Orioles signed left-handers Élvis Araujo and David Holmberg to minor league deals.

Araujo, 26, joins the Orioles with 72 games of major league experience — all with the Philadelphia Phillies and all in relief — in 2015 and 2016. He has a 4.35 ERA in 62 career innings. He spent last season with the Chunichi Dragons in the Japanese Central League, posting a 6.48 ERA in six relief appearances.

Holmberg, 26, was the Chicago White Sox’s second-round draft pick in 2009. He has 51 games of major league experience (19 starts) with a 5.49 ERA. He received his most major league work last season, going 2-4 with a 4.68 ERA in 37 games (seven starts) with the White Sox. He has also pitched in the majors with the Arizona Diamondbacks and Cincinnati Reds.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-gentry-20180208-story.html

18 hours ago, Rob said:

The Orioles signed left-handers Élvis Araujo and David Holmberg to minor league deals.

These two seem like they will turn the pitching staff around...

Edited by Evil Yoda

And don’t forget, Craig Gentry is coming back.

16 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

I have zero excitement for this 2018 team as things stand right now.  I had a little back in December when I thought the O's could trade Manny for three young players that could contribute this year and then the O's could flip Manny's 16mil salary for an impact free agent pitching signing.  Now its just the same last place, overpaid  club minus Castillo.  Crap.

18 hours ago, Rob said:

It's pretty pathetic if you ask me.

They did acquire two new pitchers:

Araujo, 26, joins the Orioles with 72 games of major league experience — all with the Philadelphia Phillies and all in relief — in 2015 and 2016. He has a 4.35 ERA in 62 career innings. He spent last season with the Chunichi Dragons in the Japanese Central League, posting a 6.48 ERA in six relief appearances.

Holmberg, 26, was the Chicago White Sox’s second-round draft pick in 2009. He has 51 games of major league experience (19 starts) with a 5.49 ERA. He received his most major league work last season, going 2-4 with a 4.68 ERA in 37 games (seven starts) with the White Sox. He has also pitched in the majors with the Arizona Diamondbacks and Cincinnati Reds.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-gentry-20180208-story.html

DD taking the bent and dent approach to a new level.  Digging the one bite gone Danish out of the garbage can.  Hello Costanza.

15 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

I just saw this :lol:

15 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

I just saw this :lol:

14 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

DD taking the bent and dent approach to a new level.  Digging the one bite gone Danish out of the garbage can.  Hello Costanza.

"Adjacent to refuse, is refuse." Thanks for the memory. I haven't seen that is years. 

Here's the thing that makes this year, so much different from most. Most years, as we're approaching ST, we look at the pitching staff, and discuss how it could/should be upgraded. This year, they literally have only two starting pitchers. TWO! 

Most years, I imagine DD and Buck talking, "Do you think we should improve the rotation?". "Nah, we're good". This year it's "Do you think we should have a rotation?". "Nah, we're good."

Relax everyone. The market is still percolating.

11 hours ago, weird-O said:

Here's the thing that makes this year, so much different from most. Most years, as we're approaching ST, we look at the pitching staff, and discuss how it could/should be upgraded. This year, they literally have only two starting pitchers. TWO! 

Well, really 1.5. Bundy will hopefully this year be up to a full season (he tired out last year), and Gausman will hopefully not hit a huge suck patch in the middle of the campaign. I'm crediting them each as 0.75 of a pitcher for now. :)

On 2/9/2018 at 8:48 PM, Evil Yoda said:

Well, really 1.5. Bundy will hopefully this year be up to a full season (he tired out last year), and Gausman will hopefully not hit a huge suck patch in the middle of the campaign. I'm crediting them each as 0.75 of a pitcher for now. :)

that's more than far

Now it's one day and Dan has done exactly the same he'd done last week this time.

Maybe we can convert Chris Davis into a starter. :P