Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnpolitics

McDaniels screws Colts

51 posts in this topic

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22349872/josh-mcdaniels-spurns-indianapolis-colts-remain-new-england-patriots

After two days of reflection and conversations with the Patriots, New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has decided not to accept the Indianapolis Colts' head coaching job, league sources told ESPN.

In the past 48 hours, Patriots owner Robert Kraft began talking with McDaniels and ultimately wound up sweetening his contract, helping to entice him to remain in New England rather than leave for Indianapolis, which announced it would be holding a news conference Wednesday to introduce its new head coach. But McDaniels did not have a signed contract with the Colts, according to a source.

Belichick's successor. 

I wonder if there is now a timetable for Belichick's departure? I've kind of assumed it would coincide with Tom Brady's retirement.

Belichick will retire when he's ready to. He certainly isn't under any pressure to do so at the moment, but I'm guessing McDaniels came back with the understanding he's the heir-apparent.

I don't get this move by McDaniel. Brady and Belichick is a hard act to follow. The Pats probably become a mediocre team after those two retire.

3 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Too bad irsay ......

Yup.

"After agreeing three weeks ago to terms with the Colts to become their next coach, after hiring multiple members of his coaching staff, after arranging to fly Wednesday morning from Boston to Indianapolis on Jim Irsay’s jet to be introduced at an afternoon news conference, Josh McDaniels backed out."

“That’s Kraft putting it to the Colts again. He will forever try and (expletive) that place ever since deflate gate," a source told Schefter."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2758104-josh-mcdaniels-reportedly-wont-accept-colts-hc-job-will-stay-with-patriots?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

8 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I don't get this move by McDaniel. Brady and Belichick is a hard act to follow. The Pats probably become a mediocre team after those two retire.

While the Colts have many problems, McDaniels at least gets a pretty decent QB in Luck to start with.  Most new coaches don't get that.  Instead, he'll maybe take over the equivalent of the Bulls after Jordan and Phil Jackson are gone.

It probably comes down to him being offered HC money to stay.   Working for Irsay is no picnic.  Even though the son is better than the father, that bar was set pretty low.  The Colts also have a lot of money invested in Andrew Luck, money that isn't available to fix their defense and some other problems they have.  Maybe he wasn't offer the job as Belicheck's successor.  Maybe he felt taking the extra cash, staying with Brady, and waiting to see what else might open up in coming years was the better option.  

9 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Belichick will retire when he's ready to. He certainly isn't under any pressure to do so at the moment, but I'm guessing McDaniels came back with the understanding he's the heir-apparent.

Yea, like Franklin at umcp with the fridge .....

We know how that worked out ....

57 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

It probably comes down to him being offered HC money to stay.   Working for Irsay is no picnic.  Even though the son is better than the father, that bar was set pretty low.  The Colts also have a lot of money invested in Andrew Luck, money that isn't available to fix their defense and some other problems they have.  Maybe he wasn't offer the job as Belicheck's successor.  Maybe he felt taking the extra cash, staying with Brady, and waiting to see what else might open up in coming years was the better option.  

Didn't Jason Garrett do something similar and turned down the Ravens to stay with the Cowboys as heir apparent?  Hasn't turned out too well if comparing Ravens to Cowboys over that period.  :lol:

That's a d!ck move, but no sympathy for Irsay.  This seems like a good day to mention that McDaniels has never done anything without Brady, and that in addition to going 11-17 as Denver's coach, he also was caught cheating and find $50,000 for Spygate II:
https://www.milehighreport.com/2010/11/27/1838850/denver-broncos-josh-mcdaniels-fined-50000-for-spygate-ii-incident

Edited by JasonM

10 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I agree. Especially with Garoppolo in SF. It will be a rebuild in NE once BB and TB are gone. But, I guess there is loyalty with Kraft, and I wouldn't be surprised to see BB stay on in some kind of FO/advisor role. Parcells has done that before so it wouldn't be a shock to see BB do it either, but he is in his upper 60's.

I love that this happened to the Colts, though. Screw Irsay and screw those fans. They deserve this. Luckiest fanbase and franchise since 2000.

20 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Didn't Jason Garrett do something similar and turned down the Ravens to stay with the Cowboys as heir apparent?  Hasn't turned out too well if comparing Ravens to Cowboys over that period.  :lol:

No, this is the Patriots MO. Belichick did it to the Jets, McDaniels did it last year (forget who he did it to) and now the Colts. I wouldn't be surprised if this crap is intentional to screw other teams. Wouldn't put anything past them.

13 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

is there a possibility that Belichick retires before Brady?

3 minutes ago, mikemor1 said:

is there a possibility that Belichick retires before Brady?

Possibly, but not likely imo. As long as Brady is around, he knows he's in the SB conversation. I would imagine that's kind of hard to give. I also believe next season is the last season. I think it's clear Brady is the G.O.A.T, I can't imagine he wants to go the Peyton Manning route. 

5 hours ago, cprenegade said:

Maybe he felt taking the extra cash, staying with Brady, and waiting to see what else might open up in coming years was the better option.  

The problem is that teams will now be leery of hiring him, wondering if he's going to back out at the last minute. At least for the next few years, he would struggle to be offered an interview, I think. The top talent in the world is useless if he's unreliable. And McDaniels isn't that.

Edited by Evil Yoda

45 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Possibly, but not likely imo. As long as Brady is around, he knows he's in the SB conversation. I would imagine that's kind of hard to give. I also believe next season is the last season. I think it's clear Brady is the G.O.A.T, I can't imagine he wants to go the Peyton Manning route. 

And what is that, win a SB and retire? LOL

Or go to another team?

Edited by Pickle20

32 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

And what is that, win a SB and retire? LOL

Or go to another team?

Be a shadow of his former self. Manning was on a SB winning team, but they clearly won despite him. I believe he'll come back next season for one last hurrah and win or lose call it quits after. JMO

Edited by bmore_ken

28 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Be a shadow of his former self. Manning was on a SB winning team, but they clearly won despite him. I believe he'll come back next season for one last hurrah and win or lose call it quits after. JMO

Manning went downhill pretty fast. His 2014 season is great.

Brady did say he'll retire when he sucks. I think he'll do that too. But he also told Giselle "two more super bowls" before this one so I think he at least plays 2 more seasons.

Brady was 40 this past season. Manning's last season was at age 39. Brady is in much better shape than Manning. And Brady just lead the league in attempts and passing yards. I doubt he'll slow down much at age 41, or even age 42 or 43.

Brady is one of a kind. He's a freak. No one in the history of football or even sports has been able to do what he did. So I don't think it's "one more year".

Mike Florio of ProFootball Talk had been reporting last week over rumblings that McDaniels might ultimately stiff-arm the Colts. Even Super Bowl pre-game shows were reporting that McDaniels had yet to inform the Patriots he was leaving.

McDaniels had better hope he's in line to one day take over from Belichick because he probably screwed himself out of consideration anywhere but New England at this point. He'd be a hard sell for any future openings elsewhere.

16 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

I wonder if there is now a timetable for Belichick's departure? I've kind of assumed it would coincide with Tom Brady's retirement.

I'd be willing to bet he wants to prove he can win without Brady. 

The Colts are better off without him. I would love to see my fellow-Terp Frank Reich get a shot.

18 hours ago, Rael said:

I'd be willing to bet he wants to prove he can win without Brady. 

Yeah, I hope he does try to prove it. It will show the world that Brady was always 90% of the key there...

42-58 before Brady's first start. HoF since. Bill is a solid defensive coach / mind with the most accurate QB of the last 30 years. And 3 rings where many of his foes still believe the Pats were stealing signals unlike anyone else...

Edited by Ravens2006

1 hour ago, Ravens2006 said:

Yeah, I hope he does try to prove it. It will show the world that Brady was always 90% of the key there...

42-58 before Brady's first start. HoF since. Bill is a solid defensive coach / mind with the most accurate QB of the last 30 years. And 3 rings where many of his does still believe the Pats were stealing signals unlike anyone else...

In fairness, he went 11-5 with Matt Cassel in 2008. Recall, they missed the playoffs despite that record. Cassel got a nice contract afterwards, but he flopped. 

1 hour ago, Manny said:

In fairness, he went 11-5 with Matt Cassel in 2008. Recall, they missed the playoffs despite that record. Cassel got a nice contract afterwards, but he flopped. 

Yeah, I know. And Todd Haley went 10-6 with the same Matt Cassel and a LOT less supporting cast. Billick once went 10-6 with Wright and Boller too. That 11-5 Pats team was still LOADED with talent, and they probably win 14 games with Brady at QB in my opinion... they're not missing the playoffs with him.