Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pitbull

BREAKING: Ryan Flaherty (“Flash”) signs with Phillies

36 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, pitbull said:

Flash wrote a nice “farewell message” on social media to Orioles fans. I don’t follow the team as many of you do on here, so i’m sure you’ve seen it. Seemed really heartfelt.

Lol yet you somehow saw it

Unless  

Holy Smokes youre flash

Thus ends the great and inexplicable love affair between Buck and Ryan.  

1 hour ago, jamesdean said:

It's not over 'til it's over!

23 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

But... 

it was so important to have him here so we could all compare his record to Schoop's

Oh the great memories! :D

8 hours ago, pitbull said:

Flash wrote a nice “farewell message” on social media to Orioles fans. I don’t follow the team as many of you do on here, so i’m sure you’ve seen it. Seemed really heartfelt.

As it should be.  And no hard feelings. Nearest pick up flash when he was on his way out of baseball and gave him a chance. And, for what it’s worth, a salary that most Americans would kill for. Good luck to him

Edited by JoyinMudville

Maybe if the Orioles somehow find a decent starting pitcher, they can flip him in a trade later on in the season to get Flaherty back...

14 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Spending 2 mil on Flash wasn't in the cards for DD/Pete.  If he was on a minor league deal with O's, he would of made the team with Buck no matter how crappy he was..  DD pinching pennies it seems. I think they wanted him but at way less than 2 mil.   Either DD is saving every last penny for some pitching or Pete has slashed the payroll big time.

On the topic of a budget. Here's an interesting tidbit, if you didn't already know this. Most owners set a budget, and tell their GM, here's the amount you have to spend. Pete doesn't operate that way. He doesn't set a budget. So his GMs don't know ahead of time, how much money is available. Every time DD wants to sign someone, he has to get permission. That's just one reason why dealing with the O's is such a long, drawn out process.  

15 hours ago, jamesdean said:

Buck will be watching the wire for the minute the Phillies cut him, and he'll be back here so fast all they'll see in Philly is an afterimage.

Flaherty had a tense moment when he misheard he'd be traded to Philles, because he knows that guy kills people.

14 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

It's not over 'til it's over!

You got that right. How many times did Reimold come back?

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:21 AM, weird-O said:

On the topic of a budget. Here's an interesting tidbit, if you didn't already know this. Most owners set a budget, and tell their GM, here's the amount you have to spend. Pete doesn't operate that way. He doesn't set a budget. So his GMs don't know ahead of time, how much money is available. Every time DD wants to sign someone, he has to get permission. That's just one reason why dealing with the O's is such a long, drawn out process.  

This is crazy, but makes sense as to why the O's are so dysfunctional in acquiring players.  I thought the O's were close to having 140mil already committed this year.  But its closer to 115-120mil when you add in what Gausman will make and some of the guys who make the team that are close to the  ML minimum.  Unless Pete has completely closed his wallet, you would think DD would have at least 20-25 mil to play with.  But as you point, he may have no idea.  This has to be the dumbest business plan of all time not to have a budget in place.  How would DD ever be able to plot a series of dependent moves?   I guess it goes back to the fact Pete is a lawyer not a business man.  ANd he hasn't learned a stinking thing about running the team in his 20 plus years of ownership.  Just keep the MASN and Asbestos spigot turned on is the plan.  

9 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I guess it goes back to the fact Pete is a lawyer not a business man.  ANd he hasn't learned a stinking thing about running the team in his 20 plus years of ownership.  Just keep the MASN and Asbestos spigot turned on is the plan.  

He made that clear in how he dealt with Duquette's potential promotion to the Blue Jays. A businessman understands that if you mistreat an employee you will get at best mediocre work from him - he'll give you exactly enough to keep his job and nothing more. Even less if he's under contract. To Pete, a lawyer, all that matters is whether someone honors a contract. So Duquette gives him mediocre work and now the contract is turned against Angelos; he'd have to pay if he fired Duquette without a good reason.

And he is certainly impervious to baseball knowledge. Judging by the way he runs the team, what he knows about the game would fit on a matchbook, with room left over for drawing the little picture to see if you can be an artist! :)