Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hst2

White House officials knew about Porter's abuse allegations and scrambled to protect him

133 posts in this topic

CNN)Allegations of domestic abuse levied against top White House staffer Rob Porter by his ex-wives were known among senior aides to President Donald Trump for months, even as his stock in the West Wing continued to rise, multiple sources told CNN on Wednesday.

Porter denied the allegations but resigned on Wednesday. A scramble ensued inside the West Wing to defend him when the claims became public this week, the sources said. That effort continues even after his resignation.

...By early fall, it was widely known among Trump's top aides -- including chief of staff John Kelly -- both that Porter was facing troubles in obtaining the clearance and that his ex-wives claimed he had abused them. No action was taken to remove him from the staff. Instead, Kelly and others oversaw an elevation in Porter's standing. He was one of a handful of aides who helped draft last week's State of the Union address. He traveled instead of Kelly to the World Economic Forum in Davos last month. And he was one of a select group of aides who shook Chinese President Xi Jinping's hand during a state visit to Beijing in November.

1 minute ago, hst2 said:

I thought Trump was going to hire 'the best people'

He sounds like he was good at his job and that’s rare in this White House so I understand keeping him on. Still, in this current atmosphere, it was a big gamble and they just lost.

The Republicans are developing quite a reputation for not giving a crap about ethics or morals.

As it is now it seems that all you have to do to get rid of a male is have a woman make accusations against them and they will be fired or have to resign.  No evidence required.

Edited by Smokey 1

10 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

As it is now it seems that all you have to do to get rid of a male is have a woman make accusations against them and they will be fired or have to resign.  No evidence required.

Kelly told Porter to stay and defend himself and he resigned anyway. That tells me he knew there was proof of his wrongdoing.

Wife-beaters. Child molesters. Slavers. Tell me, is there an act too vile for you to defend it? :)

10 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

“No evidence required”.

Do you happen to know the numbers of race kits that go untested?

Stand in line for your outrage.

4 minutes ago, Boobie said:

never heard of him

Well to be fair no one lasts long enough to bother to learn their names.

:D

so the abuser denied the allegations...yet he resigned.:rolleyes:

This entire administration is a sham.

Edited by ODENTON

5 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

Kelly told Porter to stay and defend himself and he resigned anyway. That tells me he knew there was proof of his wrongdoing.

Wife-beaters. Child molesters. Slavers. Tell me, is there an act too vile for you to defend it? :)

I am not defending anything.  If you were smarter you could see that.

6 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

I thought Trump was going to hire 'the best people'

No, the people most like Hillary.  Porter is just a little slower on the besmirching of victims.  Give him a little time.  

I read the link. What exactly did White House officials "scramble" to do to "protect" Porter?

Pictures of the abuse is what changed the game. WH would still be pushing ahead with support for Porter if they didn't exist.

Of course they knew about it....it held up his security clearance.  Of course those pesky clearances don't seem to really matter to this crew.

6 minutes ago, michiganjoe said:

Pictures of the abuse is what changed the game. WH would still be pushing ahead with support for Porter if they didn't exist.

Pretty good shiner on one of them...was that from her honeymoon?

They should have quietly ushered him out back in November during the tax bill debates. No one would’ve really noticed or cared.

11 hours ago, hst2 said:

The Republicans are developing quite a reputation for not giving a crap about ethics or morals.

And liberals are developing quite a reputation for adopting the credo "guilty until proven innocent". In today's environment an accusation is an immediate conviction in the media and the court of public opinion, which reflects that same gaggle of folks who harp on our need to preserve the rule of law. What a stunning example of hypocrisy. 

11 hours ago, songfourone said:

“No evidence required”.

Do you happen to know the numbers of race kits that go untested?

Stand in line for your outrage.

Does hst know that you think there are race kits used for testing? :lol:

Of course they did, Porter's behavior is normal for Republicans.

They'd have no one left.

Edited by Calamari

9 minutes ago, Calamari said:

Of course they did, Porter's behavior is normal for Republicans.

They'd have no one left.

I see you have traded in your broad brush for a very wide paint roller. Why not just post that every Republican in the country is a child of Satan and get it over with. :lol:

26 minutes ago, Papi said:

And liberals are developing quite a reputation for adopting the credo "guilty until proven innocent". In today's environment an accusation is an immediate conviction in the media and the court of public opinion, which reflects that same gaggle of folks who harp on our need to preserve the rule of law. What a stunning example of hypocrisy. 

You're confusing legal processes with other things. Two ex-wives stating the same kind of behavior and the FBI telling the White House in November. They should have had the sense to cut him loose. When someone shows a pattern like this, it doesn't take a conviction to know they shouldn't be there.

4 minutes ago, bmorepunk said:

You're confusing legal processes with other things. Two ex-wives stating the same kind of behavior and the FBI telling the White House in November. They should have had the sense to cut him loose. When someone shows a pattern like this, it doesn't take a conviction to know they shouldn't be there.

In this case you are probably right, because there is an actual paper trail, the evidence of two divorces, and I think at least one restraining order on record. I was referring more generally to the "me too" movement that has led to various people being fired, forced to resign, forced to lose income or assets, on the basis of an accusation that does not have the same kind of paper trail or any legal process to support it.

It's almost as if the same dynamic that caused people not to report abuse when it occurred decades ago is at play, causing people accused to be vilified if they try to defend themselves or deny the accusations, so they just quit. I am troubled by the tendency to take the definition of what was (or may have been) "consensual" of decades ago and morph it into "abuse" or "misconduct" in 2018.There is a certain lack of fairness in that process. No doubt that some of the accusations being made today are valid, but the sheer volume of such accusations and "me too" being accepted as sufficient to bring a person down is downright scary.