soulflower

US troops got into a firefight with Russian/Syrian forces

39 posts in this topic

The [mess] in Syria continues

Inching closer to WW3 every day the US stays in Syria

Edited by Baltimatt
Language

Not like we can do anything about it.

We are weak with Trump, and everyone knows it - and it endangers our troops abroad.

Why did we even get involved in Syria to begin with?  It was a civil war that does not concern us. The use of chemical weapons by Assad on his own people is the only reason I can see.  So what?   We should have let Assad do what he will.  If the UN wants to take part in it, so be it.  We need to stop being a moral compass around the world.  Let them kill themselves if they want to.  Get involved only when it threatens us or our allies.  

3 hours ago, Calamari said:

Not like we can do anything about it.

We are weak with Trump, and everyone knows it - and it endangers our troops abroad.

Yes, ISIS has expanded bigly since Trump changed the ROE.  LOL.  

5 hours ago, cprenegade said:

Why did we even get involved in Syria to begin with?  It was a civil war that does not concern us. The use of chemical weapons by Assad on his own people is the only reason I can see.  So what?   We should have let Assad do what he will.  If the UN wants to take part in it, so be it.  We need to stop being a moral compass around the world.  Let them kill themselves if they want to.  Get involved only when it threatens us or our allies.  

After the Syrian Civil War began, Obama joined Turkey and Saudi Arabia in supporting the armed Opposition to Bashar Assad’s regime. 

Al Qaeda and ISIS took advantage of the situation and expanded their activity in Syria. 

ISIS began taking over large swaths of Iraq and Syria and directing terror attacks in Europe. 

Obama put US troops in Iraq to counter ISIS and that operation expanded into fighting ISIS in Syria.

Trump continued or accelerated the anti-ISIS military operation. He also has ordered the US military to protect the Kurds in Syria. 

Now Assad is trying to regain control of all of Syria, Russia is defending Assad, Turkey is trying to control Northeastern Syria, and Israel is launching attacks from Southeastern Syria. 

Now that ISIS has been defeated or rolled back, I’m not sure what America’s role in Syria is. 

Once again, our friend and enemies are the same people depending on what day of the week it is.  

Remember who the learning curve is for.

5 hours ago, soulflower said:

Now that ISIS has been defeated or rolled back, I’m not sure what America’s role in Syria is. 

I would suggest we leave sufficient forces there to warn if ISIS regroups. Organizations like that rarely die; they fade from view for awhile and then reappear when conditions are right. Otherwise, we should leave.

25 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

I would suggest we leave sufficient forces there to warn if ISIS regroups. Organizations like that rarely die; they fade from view for awhile and then reappear when conditions are right. Otherwise, we should leave.

I think Syria’s government and their Russian allies have the Resources to prevent ISIS from returning as a formidable military force. 

I’m not so sure about Iraq’s government though. 

Just now, soulflower said:

I think Syria’s government and their Russian allies have the Resources to prevent ISIS from returning as a formidable military force. 

I’m not so sure about Iraq’s government though. 

You would hope Syria/Russia could smack them. But I don't trust the Russians with Putin as virtual dictator. He's a Cold War trained individual and the Russians will be better off when he's dead (I'd say out of power, but that won't happen until he's dead. He's basically president for life.)

Iraq's government ought to be strong enough, now, but their troops ran away from ISIS on several occasions. Their morale must be garbage, and that's probably because no one has any faith in the government. So, yeah, a big question mark.

33 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

Once again, our friend and enemies are the same people depending on what day of the week it is.  

Remember who the learning curve is for.

I’d like to know what our Syria strategy is

Republicans no longer ask that question now that Trump is President 

Where are the Dems? 

2 minutes ago, soulflower said:

I’d like to know what our Syria strategy is

Republicans no longer ask that question now that Trump is President 

Where are the Dems? 

Why do we even need a Syrian strategy?   Assad has been Russia's puppet for decades.   Why do we care now?   Why should we care if Putin/Assad want to pound ISIS?  Let them!

Our 'friends' the Saudis pound Yemen in much the same way.  So let's be raging hypocrites too?

We know that the Kurds and Turkey don't get along to the point of violence.   Yet we take up both sides.   The Kurds for helping out in Iraq and Turkey because of the airbase.   Yet if we washed our hands of the middle east then we wouldn't need either.   So I agree, what exactly is the policy here?

Wouldn't we be better off staying out of it?   If the results of such a policy turn out to be too ugly to live with then we can cross that bridge when we get there.

10 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

You would hope Syria/Russia could smack them. But I don't trust the Russians with Putin as virtual dictator. He's a Cold War trained individual and the Russians will be better off when he's dead (I'd say out of power, but that won't happen until he's dead. He's basically president for life.)

Iraq's government ought to be strong enough, now, but their troops ran away from ISIS on several occasions. Their morale must be garbage, and that's probably because no one has any faith in the government. So, yeah, a big question mark.

I think what we need is a diplomatic solution for Syria.

Escalating our military activity there will only make things worse.

It probably won’t happen because the Trump administration doesn’t seem to believe in Diplomacy but Syria should be partitioned into 2 or 3 States. 

Just now, soulflower said:

Escalating our military activity there will only make things worse.

It probably won’t happen because the Trump administration doesn’t seem to believe in Diplomacy but Syria should be partitioned into 2 or 3 States. 

If one of those states is Kurdistan then you know what our 'friends' in Turkey will think of that.  I'm not fond of the idea of leaving the Kurds to the tender mercies of Erdogan but what else can we do without resorting to military force?

And I think this would be good time to remind people of that time Erdogan's thugs were beating people on the streets of our own capital.   With friends like these...

12 hours ago, cprenegade said:

To help those civilians that were being massacred?

if I remember, that was the secondary reason for re-invading Iraq once the WMD excuse went up in smoke.

2 minutes ago, FormerlySouthSide said:

To help those civilians that were being massacred?

if I remember, that was the secondary reason for re-invading Iraq once the WMD excuse went up in smoke.

The people being killed by ISIS, not Syria. 

Obama got involved to prevent ISIS from expanding into Iraqi Kurdistan. 

Then we started fighting ISIS in Syria.

The US hasn’t really fought the Syrian government directly but there have been skirmishes and of course the missile strike last spring. 

7 minutes ago, soulflower said:

The people being killed by ISIS, not Syria. 

Obama got involved to prevent ISIS from expanding into Iraqi Kurdistan. 

Then we started fighting ISIS in Syria.

The US hasn’t really fought the Syrian government directly but there have been skirmishes and of course the missile strike last spring. 

IIRC, it was Putin/Assad that was bombing Aleppo into ruins.

1 hour ago, Evil Yoda said:

I would like to leave.  But we did that and spawned ISIS.  We don't need a force there to warn us when they reform and massacre the Kurds.  We can watch it on CNN.  

I think you are right about organizations like that, but I fear that the moment we are gone, it makes the conditions right for them to reappear.  

25 minutes ago, soulflower said:

What we need is to leave.

1 hour ago, SemiAuto said:

IIRC, it was Putin/Assad that was bombing Aleppo into ruins.

The US did the same to Raqqa and Mosul

1 hour ago, soulflower said:

And, the State Department is a mess, with an apparent incompetent at the helm and key people exiting on the regular.

Eastern Syria is sparsely populated but has lots of oil and natural resources 

Edited by soulflower