Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soulflower

US troops got into a firefight with Russian/Syrian forces

45 posts in this topic

On 2/8/2018 at 0:19 AM, cprenegade said:

Why did we even get involved in Syria to begin with?  It was a civil war that does not concern us. The use of chemical weapons by Assad on his own people is the only reason I can see.  So what?   We should have let Assad do what he will.  If the UN wants to take part in it, so be it.  We need to stop being a moral compass around the world.  Let them kill themselves if they want to.  Get involved only when it threatens us or our allies.  

Bingo. We've learned nothing from Vietnam or Iraq. We need to leave and deal with whatever chips are left. 

Edited by bmore_ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Israel is retaliating after one of their jets were shot down over Syria

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/10/israeli-fighter-jet-shot-down-by-syrian-fire-says-military

That escalated pretty fast. Luckily the Syrians aren't in a position anymore to get in a real fight with the Israelis so it should stay pretty limited.

I'm sure Israel has been generally happy about this situation in Syria since it essentially got one of their biggest threats off their front lawn.

Edited by bmorepunk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bmorepunk said:

That escalated pretty fast. Luckily the Syrians aren't in a position anymore to get in a real fight with the Israelis so it should stay pretty limited.

I'm sure Israel has been generally happy about this situation in Syria since it essentially got one of their biggest threats off their front lawn.

One would think that Israel (and indirectly the US) doesn’t want the wars in Syria to end. They seem to benefit from Iran and Hezbollah being preoccupied. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, soulflower said:

One would think that Israel (and indirectly the US) doesn’t want the wars in Syria to end. They seem to benefit from Iran and Hezbollah being preoccupied. 

Purely from a functional standpoint, our motivation is general global/regional stability and keeping terrorism manageable. I don't know if we're doing better just leaving it alone or doing the stuff we're doing, but it's costing us a lot of money and people's lives/time so I don't see how it's worth it. We're certainly not making those countries better places for the regular people who live there.

The Israelis' best interest is to keep the Syrians and Palestinians weak so they don't have to fight another open war. But that's at the expense of a lot of regular people who are caught in the middle. Syria has so many actors in it right now when you start to map it out, it seems crazy. It's several proxy wars going on at once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bmorepunk said:

Purely from a functional standpoint, our motivation is general global/regional stability and keeping terrorism manageable. I don't know if we're doing better just leaving it alone or doing the stuff we're doing, but it's costing us a lot of money and people's lives/time so I don't see how it's worth it. We're certainly not making those countries better places for the regular people who live there.

The Israelis' best interest is to keep the Syrians and Palestinians weak so they don't have to fight another open war. But that's at the expense of a lot of regular people who are caught in the middle. Syria has so many actors in it right now when you start to map it out, it seems crazy. It's several proxy wars going on at once.

I understand that indefinite instability in that region in the world gives a short-term benefit. A stable Syria gives Iran and Hezbollah greater ability to threaten Israel. 

The long-term consequences are concerning though. The destabilization policy has already created a huge refugee problem.

I also think the policy is enabling the next generation of Al Qaeda/ISIS to grow and adapt in Syria. Sort of like how our policies in Afghanistan in the 1980s led to the Talban and Al Qaeda. 

Edited by soulflower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 0:52 PM, SemiAuto said:

Why do we even need a Syrian strategy?   Assad has been Russia's puppet for decades.   Why do we care now?   Why should we care if Putin/Assad want to pound ISIS?  Let them!

Our 'friends' the Saudis pound Yemen in much the same way.  So let's be raging hypocrites too?

We know that the Kurds and Turkey don't get along to the point of violence.   Yet we take up both sides.   The Kurds for helping out in Iraq and Turkey because of the airbase.   Yet if we washed our hands of the middle east then we wouldn't need either.   So I agree, what exactly is the policy here?

Wouldn't we be better off staying out of it?   If the results of such a policy turn out to be too ugly to live with then we can cross that bridge when we get there.

The U.S.A. is still feeling good, flush with great results after the success that followed the removal of Saddam Hussein and Gaddafi. 

What could possibly go wrong by removing one more dictator like Assad? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

The U.S.A. is still feeling good, flush with great results after the success that followed the removal of Saddam Hussein and Gaddafi. 

What could possibly go wrong by removing one more dictator like Assad? 

The former two lead to the problem of the latter.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least Sen. Chris Murphy is talking about our policy on Syria 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one knows what to do with Westerners who fought for ISIS in Syria. Some detainees have been sent to Iraq 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SemiAuto said:

The former two lead to the problem of the latter.   

Stop making sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Syria Warz update:

- Assad has sent fighters to Afrin (northern Syria) to join the Kurds in the fight against Turkey and the Syrian Rebels. 

- Russia’s Foreign Minister says the US is “playing with fire” in Syria and demanded that the US pull out of Southern Syria

- Turkey is accused of using Chemical Weapons against the Kurds last week

 

Edited by soulflower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2018 at 2:49 PM, Ode2Joy said:

The U.S.A. is still feeling good, flush with great results after the success that followed the removal of Saddam Hussein and Gaddafi. 

What could possibly go wrong by removing one more dictator like Assad? 

 

On 2/10/2018 at 10:53 PM, SemiAuto said:

The former two lead to the problem of the latter.   

 

On 2/11/2018 at 1:33 PM, bmore_ken said:

Stop making sense. 

Wait, he was serious? I thought that post reeked of sarcasm.  Geez.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

When was diplomacy ever used in Syria?

I think the deal allowing us to destroy their chemical weapons might qualify, other than that, though, I'm not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Struds said:

 

 

Wait, he was serious? I thought that post reeked of sarcasm.  Geez.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic.  I don't feel the need to dumb things down that are beyond obvious to dullards who you'd think would know about what the results were of those military adventures I mentioned.  We're still experiencing the results today and will for a long time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0