Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thirteen

Jimmy G. gets PAID

35 posts in this topic

Details which were released, no doubt, by Garoppolo's agent.

Still, a pretty handsome arrangement, no matter how you slice it. I'm curious, though, as to how much of the deal is fully guaranteed. A per-year basis isn't potentially worth nearly as much if the contract is essentially a pay-as-you go arrangement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I don't understand the way they do contracts. You can make it 5 years and 200 million dollars but the agent and the player knows they will never see 200 million dollars. Usually everyone understands it is actually a  3 year 75 million dollar deal because the player has to know he is either going to be cut in year 4 or renegotiate the contract.

The above was just a generic example

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The looked like a championship contender with him. Night and day after he took the helm. Though intriguing, the sample size was too small to justify that contract. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Thirteen said:

Still don't know the breakdown, however, between fully guaranteed money and money that is guaranteed for injury only. The record for fully guaranteed money is Matthew Stafford's $60.5 million, while Derek Carr is second at $40 million. Still, the Niners had over $100 million in cap space this offseason, so even a heavily front-loaded contract isn't going to break them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And people complained about Flacco getting paid.  Jimmy G has never started a full season of NFL football and is now the highest paid player in history.  :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

And people complained about Flacco getting paid.  Jimmy G has never started a full season of NFL football and is now the highest paid player in history.  :rolleyes:

No, people complain about Flacco sucking up a large part of the cap and not delivering .....

If he played as well as Jimmy g did last year folks wouldn't be complaining .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eastside Terp said:

No, people complain about Flacco sucking up a large part of the cap and not delivering .....

If he played as well as Jimmy g did last year folks wouldn't be complaining .....

Sure, after the fact.  There were plenty of complaints when Flacco signed his first big deal and that was coming off a SB MVP run.  Jimmy has 7 total starts in his NFL career. 

He might be the real deal, but let's see a full season with DC's having film to prepare with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Sure, after the fact.  There were plenty of complaints when Flacco signed his first big deal and that was coming off a SB MVP run.  Jimmy has 7 total starts in his NFL career. 

He might be the real deal, but let's see a full season with DC's having film to prepare with. 

I don't disagree that these salaries are crazy but I think the majority of folks supported Flacco when he signed the deal .....

In hindsite, In many ways Joe's contract was based on a hot half season as well.....

He never played that well before or since .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

Sure, after the fact.  There were plenty of complaints when Flacco signed his first big deal and that was coming off a SB MVP run.  Jimmy has 7 total starts in his NFL career. 

He might be the real deal, but let's see a full season with DC's having film to prepare with. 

I'd imagine there is grumbling among the 49ers faithful over throwing this much money at a guy who started only 7 games in his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

And people complained about Flacco getting paid.  Jimmy G has never started a full season of NFL football and is now the highest paid player in history.  :rolleyes:

But did Jimmy G. ever say he was elite?  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quarterbacks always get paid. And I would imagine Joe's going to want to be paid again in '20. It will be interesting to see what the Ravens choose to do. It might be time for them to suck for awhile and wait for a better option. Hey, if it works for baseball teams... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

And people complained about Flacco getting paid.  Jimmy G has never started a full season of NFL football and is now the highest paid player in history.  :rolleyes:

Interestingly enough, going into 2018 at this moment Joe Flacco is currently the 5th highest paid NFL player.  He will make more than Aaron Rogers, Russell Wilson, and Ben Roethlisberger who are 6, 7 and 8 respectively.  That of course will probably change when Kirk Cousins hits the market.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flacco also carried the league's highest cap number this past season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Kirk Cousins is having an orgasm right now. 

LMAO! That was too good for you. Who did you steal that from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RavingManiac said:

LMAO! That was too good for you. Who did you steal that from?

All me baby B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Evil Yoda said:

Quarterbacks always get paid. And I would imagine Joe's going to want to be paid again in '20. It will be interesting to see what the Ravens choose to do. It might be time for them to suck for awhile and wait for a better option. Hey, if it works for baseball teams... :)

Flacco's big contract days are over. He's not worth what he's being paid now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Flacco's big contract days are over. He's not worth what he's being paid now.

I agree. But his agent won't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Evil Yoda said:

I agree. But his agent won't.

Well we'll see if there's a team crazy enough to pay him. If it's the Ravens I'm done with the team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt Flacco finishes out this current contract with the Ravens.

Now if he plays like he did in the second half of last year, he'll be here until the end.

But if he's mediocre he'll be gone, as soon as after this year.

Flacco's chances of being a Raven post 2019 are very slim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a summary of the terms, as per Adam Schefter:

Garoppolo is actually guaranteed $50.1 at signing (which he can't do, of course, until the new league year kicks in). The total guarantees are more than Derek Carr but less than Matthew Stafford. He's essentially guaranteed for two years, assuming he stays healthy. The Niners, however, can cut him after 2019 with no further repercussions to their cap.

Very team-friendly deal, actually. Garoppolo's total earning potential is huge, but the 49ers have left themselves with an escape hatch in just two years if Garoppolo fails to produce.

Edited by mdrunning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Very team-friendly deal, actually. Garoppolo's total earning potential is huge, but the 49ers have left themselves with an escape hatch in just two years if Garoppolo fails to produce.

Do you anticipate team friendly deals for quarterbacks becoming the norm? The 49ers also got Kaepernick to sign such a deal years ago. I'm talking about for quarterbacks in general; the elites are always going to demand, and get, whatever they want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Do you anticipate team friendly deals for quarterbacks becoming the norm? The 49ers also got Kaepernick to sign such a deal years ago. I'm talking about for quarterbacks in general; the elites are always going to demand, and get, whatever they want.

I would call this a mutually friendly deal. Jimmy G gets set up for the rest of his life, the Niners have an out. Just about every QB in the league would take that deal. He literally gets $74 Mil win , lose or draw. 

Quote

Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area reported the deal includes a total of $74 million in guaranteed money. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2741812-report-jimmy-garoppolo-49ers-agree-on-record-5-year-1375-million-contract

Any year past 2019 that he isn't released tack on his $25M salary, That's a dream contract no matter how you slice it. 

Edited by bmore_ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0