Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dystopia

Maryland fair map

36 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Redistricting affects political power. It determines which party controls Congress and state and local governments across the country. Even when the population is divided equally, drawing the lines one way can reward Democrats and punish Republicans or vice versa. Some line-drawing can protect incumbents. Some line-drawing can guarantee they will face a potent challenger, either from their own party or the opposite party. Consequently, redistricting has a direct bearing on what matters a legislature chooses to tackle, and which to ignore. 

Thanks, it's a little clearer. Do they (the seats) relate to electoral votes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I took some of your suggestions, but I think I like my original map better, as this one is less competitive.
 
 
Updated PVI scores (Partisan Voting Index):
 
District 1: R +11.7
District 2: D +14.1
District 3: D +7.7
District 4: D +24
District 5: D +28.2
District 6: D +23
District 7: R +9.5
District 8: D +24
 
Truth be told I wasn't focused on county lines much when I made the map. I was more concerned with population equality and district compactness. In this one, I made Baltimore 2 districts instead of 3, Baltimore County is 4 districts instead of 5. Again, the problem is Baltimore County and the city have so many people that it's just almost impossible to keep it under 3. You can see one CD is entirely in the county and it doesn't even take up half the space. CD 5 looks kind of weird to me. Each district is still roughly 720k people. Also I changed one district from light blue to black so it doesn't blend in with the green one too much, it was kind of hard to tell them apart in the first one.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Redistricting affects political power. It determines which party controls Congress and state and local governments across the country. Even when the population is divided equally, drawing the lines one way can reward Democrats and punish Republicans or vice versa. Some line-drawing can protect incumbents. Some line-drawing can guarantee they will face a potent challenger, either from their own party or the opposite party. Consequently, redistricting has a direct bearing on what matters a legislature chooses to tackle, and which to ignore. 

It is more than obvious that lines for districts are NOT for the benefit of those within those boundaries.

If 'your vote' was meant to be the powerful thing it once was....then a simple grid (for expediting counts)....and the votes fall they may was implemented....well....parties lose control to the people....can't have any of that ....can we. :mad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

I would think PG county would be more dem than Montgomery, by a hair. TBH, I really don't understand what role districting plays in an election.

It is, by more than a hair, I'd say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2018 at 2:08 PM, mrdeltoid said:

Thanks, it's a little clearer. Do they (the seats) relate to electoral votes?

One electoral vote per Senator/Rep, so Wyoming, for example, gets 3 EVs because they have two senators and one rep. No state has less than 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

One electoral vote per Senator/Rep, so Wyoming, for example, gets 3 EVs because they have two senators and one rep. No state has less than 3.

OIC. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2018 at 9:20 PM, Smokey 1 said:

Districts 1, 3 and 7 would likely go republican.

+5 Democrat would favor Republicans. There are many older people registered Democrats who don’t buy into the Marxist principles being put forth today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2018 at 11:43 AM, Dystopia said:

It is, by more than a hair, I'd say.

PG is Democrat by nature. Montgomery County buys into the radicalism being spewed on college campuses and the New York Times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Manny said:

+5 Democrat would favor Republicans. There are many older people registered Democrats who don’t buy into the Marxist principles being put forth today. 

LOL. Talk about some wishful thinking. More like magical thinking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did the map yesterday and killed off Sabanes district and changed it to cover AA and Howard Countries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Manny said:

+5 Democrat would favor Republicans. There are many older people registered Democrats who don’t buy into the Marxist principles being put forth today. 

I don't know about that. According to the program I used to draw this map, Obama would have won this hypothetical district by over 10 points even though he lost Anne Arundel country that year. And in 2016 Clinton won the country outright anyway. I would give this district to the Dems in most elections, but obviously if the GOP put up a solid candidate and Dems ran a milk dud in the mold of Anthony Brown, Republicans can easily take the seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0