Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Evil Yoda

Body brokers: pieces of you are their profit!

22 posts in this topic

An article about companies profiting by shipping parts dissected from altruistic donors pretty much everywhere. And how some of these people, overwhelmed by their greed, sent infected bodies and parts overseas. Apparently, in a lot of places, cutting up bodies for anatomical use is difficult due to local religious or cultural tradition. Here in the United States, that's less of a problem, so the demand produces a steady flow of parts.

"A different Rathburn supplier, Steve Gore of Phoenix, pleaded guilty to providing customers with infected body parts. A Reuters report in December described how Gore’s business used construction saws to dismember donated bodies and employed an untrained intern to rip out cadavers’ fingernails with pliers.

In early 2016, authorities stopped nine torsos that were being returned from Vancouver, Canada, to MedCure in the United States. According to U.S. government records reviewed by Reuters, some torsos were infected with sepsis. At least one had MRSA, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus."

Is this a great country or what?

Well, Planned Parenthood sold dead baby parts so it's all in the pursuit of the almighty dollar. It removes the dignity and respect due each human being.

"Pieces of me?" Only from my cold, dead fingers. Oh, wait ... 

16 minutes ago, com6063 said:

Well, Planned Parenthood sold dead baby parts so it's all in the pursuit of the almighty dollar. It removes the dignity and respect due each human being.

Nope.

4 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

An article about companies profiting by shipping parts dissected from altruistic donors pretty much everywhere. And how some of these people, overwhelmed by their greed, sent infected bodies and parts overseas. Apparently, in a lot of places, cutting up bodies for anatomical use is difficult due to local religious or cultural tradition. Here in the United States, that's less of a problem, so the demand produces a steady flow of parts.

Two things:

1. The movie "Get Out" was not a comedy.

2. This is why I don't check donor on my license.

34 minutes ago, com6063 said:

lying is a sin....you know you shouldn't lie, but you did anyway...

4 hours ago, workerbee said:

"A different Rathburn supplier, Steve Gore of Phoenix, pleaded guilty to providing customers with infected body parts. A Reuters report in December described how Gore’s business used construction saws to dismember donated bodies and employed an untrained intern to rip out cadavers’ fingernails with pliers.

In early 2016, authorities stopped nine torsos that were being returned from Vancouver, Canada, to MedCure in the United States. According to U.S. government records reviewed by Reuters, some torsos were infected with sepsis. At least one had MRSA, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus."

Is this a great country or what?

sure is.....if there is a buck to made, people will find a way to make it, no matter who they exploit or harm along the way....

4 minutes ago, can you hear me now! said:

lying is a sin....you know you shouldn't lie, but you did anyway...

Nope.

40 minutes ago, com6063 said:

Lol, yeah, I was gonna say, it's only a problem if Planned Parenthood does it.

I do remember a few years ago someone tried to sell one of their kidney's on Ebay. It was up to several hundreds of thousands before it was noticed and removed.

So what's the alternative plan?

Does it involve just letting the bodies of donors rot because no one is paid to move them where they need to go?

7 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

7 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

This is disgusting on its face.  

But I toured the Houston Medical School (I think it is actually part of the University of Texas)  and as you walk the halls, I saw three different people whose heads had been sliced like a ham slicer on all three axes and the slices were framed and hanging on the walls.  My HS friend who was attending the med school showed me his cadaver that he was dissecting during lab classes.  I was kind of grossed out.  But understand that is how doctors learn.  

If there are places like the ME or Asia that disallow this kind of treatment of the dead, I suppose it could make some sense to help their medical schools with cadaver donations.  Although it is pretty hypocritical on the part of those buying the bodies, if they don't allow med research on their own deceased citizens.  

1 hour ago, jdsample said:

If there are places like the ME or Asia that disallow this kind of treatment of the dead, I suppose it could make some sense to help their medical schools with cadaver donations.  Although it is pretty hypocritical on the part of those buying the bodies, if they don't allow med research on their own deceased citizens. 

It wasn't real popular in western society when formal anatomy was first being studied. Doctors hired sketchy characters to rob graves.

There is a need for this service. But there is a need to keep the greedy out of it, and a need to ensure that disease is not being shipped around the world. That's going to horrify people who oppose regulation in most or all forms, but that's what needs to happen.

9 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

It wasn't real popular in western society when formal anatomy was first being studied. Doctors hired sketchy characters to rob graves.

There is a need for this service. But there is a need to keep the greedy out of it, and a need to ensure that disease is not being shipped around the world. That's going to horrify people who oppose regulation in most or all forms, but that's what needs to happen.

Yes, I recall stories of grave robbers.  

And of course there should be precautions against spreading disease.  I'm not sure you would regulate against "greedy people."  Price controls?    

9 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

35 minutes ago, jdsample said:

And of course there should be precautions against spreading disease.  I'm not sure you would regulate against "greedy people."  Price controls?    

Come back Messrs Burke and Hare - All is forgiven. 

3 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

Come back Messrs Burke and Hare - All is forgiven. 

Not familiar with them.  Grave robbers?

1 minute ago, jdsample said:

Not familiar with them.  Grave robbers?

Very famous Scottish ones. Unfortunately, they got fed up with waiting for people to die and then get dirty digging them up so they cut out the middle man, so to speak ;), and delivered even fresher and cleaner cadavers, 16 in all. 

Just now, WKDWZD said:

Very famous Scottish ones. Unfortunately, they got fed up with waiting for people to die and then get dirty digging them up so they cut out the middle man, so to speak ;), and delivered even fresher and cleaner cadavers, 16 in all. 

Hopefully their corpses were sent to the same place after they were hanged.  

5 hours ago, jdsample said:

Regulations and inspections - underwritten by that industry as fees - should cover the disease angle. You can never entirely get the greedy out of anything, although maybe if we started teaching kids in school that greed is something to be ashamed of that would be a good general step. Clearly the churches aren't sending that message. Especially when the pass the plate. Price controls is a step too far, IMO.

1 hour ago, Evil Yoda said:

Regulations and inspections - underwritten by that industry as fees - should cover the disease angle. You can never entirely get the greedy out of anything, although maybe if we started teaching kids in school that greed is something to be ashamed of that would be a good general step. Clearly the churches aren't sending that message. Especially when the pass the plate. Price controls is a step too far, IMO.

I'm not sure how to explain to a kid that ambition, hard work, initiative, and creativity are good, but greed is bad.  Because they are largely the same thing.  

Now theft and cheating I can equate with simple greed.  

12 minutes ago, jdsample said:

I'm not sure how to explain to a kid that ambition, hard work, initiative, and creativity are good, but greed is bad.  Because they are largely the same thing.  

Now theft and cheating I can equate with simple greed.  

I don't see them as the same thing at all, but different things along a spectrum of behavior. The positive qualities you cite must be tempered by other forces; the very end of that spectrum is greed.

The problem I see is bankers. Specifically, the Wall Street sort of investment bankers who set expectations which companies must meet. We know from various reports that these are incredibly greedy men. Greed may not be all they ever had, but it's all they have left. For more on this you can look for the back and forth between Southwest Airlines' CEO and these bankers. You an also look at how these firms treat entry level employees. As CEOs strive to meet these expectations (lest they lose their jobs), they lose their restraints until eventually they, too, have nothing left but greed.

Maybe the real problem is that government should have stepped in to prevent a lot of the mergers that led to giant companies. Being that size serves the company well, but should be ever consider what might serve the society in which that company is embedded? I believe so. That society, after all, provided the bedrock on which that company grew. People hollered bloody murder when Obama said, "you didn't build that" but that was mostly because he was verbally maladroit. The truth is that no one builds a large enterprise alone. However, they come to believe they did, and secure in that belief they behave poorly.