Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Calamari

Mike Pence doesn't stand for Korea, skips meal with North Koreans

153 posts in this topic

https://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/2018-olympics-mike-pence-doesnt-stand-for-korea-skips-meal-with-north-koreans/

But the vice president, per reports from CBS News and the Associated Press, neither interacted with Jong nor stood to recognize the joint North and South Korea team that entered for the ceremony.
Other reports corroborated the suggestion that Pence and his wife, Karen, were the only people in the VIP press box not to stand in recognition of the Korean Olympic delegation, which marched united for the first time since 2007. And Voice of America later reported that Pence willingly opted to sit in the box, so as to be seen by North Korean officials, rather than simply sit with a delegation of only Team USA representatives.

According to BBC, the vice president, who at one point said he might consider meeting with North Korean officials during his time in South Korea, also skipped an Olympic dinner, where he was "due to share a table with North Korea's ceremonial head of state Kim Yong-nam."

That's the sound of the right forfeiting their outrage at any other political demonstration during the olympics, or ever.

Admin is in a snit that SK is pursuing rapprochement with NK. Wait til China gets invited to the party. Tweets a-plenty!

Your administration has a lot to learn about diplomacy, until it does, your country will continue to be embarrassed by them.

3 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

Your administration has a lot to learn about diplomacy, until it does, your country will continue to be embarrassed by them.

They do, but they can't learn; that is an end-stage symptom of conservatism.

Edited by Calamari

4 minutes ago, Calamari said:

It seems just like a child stamping it's feet in a tantrum to me.

11 minutes ago, Calamari said:

That’s a funny line :lol:

The administration - rightly or wrongly - took a stand by bringing the father of Otto Wambier (the young man who died soon after his return from N. Korea) to the games. Standing with or acknowledging Ms Kim would send a mixed message about the disdain for human rights exhibited by  the PRK. 

While I would have preferred to see some movement towards reconcilation, it may not have been possible given Mr. Wambier's presence.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mike-karen-pence-apos-took-155530853.html

When North and South Korean athletes

walked out together during the Pyeonchang Winter Olympics opening ceremony Friday, most people present cheered it as a sign of possible peace during a tumultuous time.

But not Vice President Mike Pence.

Pence and his wife Karen were in attendance for the Parade of Nations as competing athletes of the world filed in. Athletes from North and South Korea entered together, wearing matching outfits and waving flags. The stadium erupted in cheers for the symbolic show of unity.

As everyone stood, the Pences sat the whole thing out.

So .....What the pences are saying is that not standing up during a ceremonial event is one way to protest something unrelated to the event?

Diplomacy is a no-no for the Trump Administration.  The State Department is slowly being dismantled.

28 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mike-karen-pence-apos-took-155530853.html

So .....What the pences are saying is that not standing up during a ceremonial event is one way to protest something unrelated to the event?

I'm not sure how NK's bellicosity became "unrelated" to NK.  

As I recall, President Carter boycotted one whole Olympics over events in Afghanistan.  That is, he did not allow any US athletes to go.

8 minutes ago, jdsample said:

As I recall, President Carter boycotted one whole Olympics over events in Afghanistan.  That is, he did not allow any US athletes to go.

Carter has no problem with NFL players kneeling.

2 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

That's fine.  We all have our opinions.  Pence was not kneeling for the National anthem.  He chose not to honor a bellicose nation threatening a regional war and nuclear holocaust.  I don't think that is too extreme.  

15 minutes ago, jdsample said:

And you consider him a good example of leadership?

1 minute ago, jdsample said:

He chose not to honor a bellicose nation threatening a regional war and nuclear holocaust.  I don't think that is too extreme.  

He is VP to  bellicose leader threatening nuclear holocaust.  I don’t that is too extreme a statement 

9 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

Neither does Colin Kaepernick, how's that working out for him?

9 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

Neither does trump.  He hopes for it so he can blow his dog whistle 

1 minute ago, Boobie said:

Neither does Colin Kaepernick, how's that working out for him?

I would bet better than your trolling works out for you.

1 minute ago, Dinglehopper said:

I would bet better than your trolling works out for you.

sorry I call out ignorance.  Call it what you want.

41 minutes ago, jdsample said:

Protesting one nation invading another? I get it.

28 minutes ago, jdsample said:

That's fine.  We all have our opinions.  Pence was not kneeling for the National anthem.  He chose not to honor a bellicose nation threatening a regional war and nuclear holocaust.  I don't think that is too extreme.  

And yet, at the same time, he represents such a nation.

16 minutes ago, Dinglehopper said:

And you consider him a good example of leadership?

Carter was a profoundly good man dealt a very bad hand.  It was like the Kobayashi Maru scenario.  In hindsight he should have cut taxes like Reagan later did, but I doubt Carter could have gathered the votes.  Besides that is not a Democrat's instinct when faced with an impossible economy.  

2 minutes ago, hst2 said:

And yet, at the same time, he represents such a nation.

Sometimes you get way stupider than normal.  :lol:

I don't know what the pudgy poltroon in NK is trying to accomplish, but I do not trust murderers and he is one, many times over. This is a Trump admin action I have no problem with.

3 minutes ago, jdsample said:

Sometimes you get way stupider than normal.  :lol:

How so?