Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Calamari

Mike Pence doesn't stand for Korea, skips meal with North Koreans

153 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jdsample said:

And of course you are free to dishonor our flag.  Burn one if you like.  

And you are free to completely misrepresente what I said and what the kneelers were doing and why.  

I also knew that would not address the specific issues I mentioned.  It is easier for the dim to fall back on rhetoric 

Edited by Dinglehopper

I think Pence was wrong in this case.  The Olympics are a time of worldwide competition that should be free of politics and political statements.  Politics and sports should be separated, period.  You want to make a statement, do it some other way on some other venue.  Leave all of the grandstanding out of sports, any and all of them.  If Pence was going to attend the Olympics he should have been respectful to all of the nations and leave political feelings at home.  

35 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

I think Pence was wrong in this case.  The Olympics are a time of worldwide competition that should be free of politics and political statements.  Politics and sports should be separated, period.  You want to make a statement, do it some other way on some other venue.  Leave all of the grandstanding out of sports, any and all of them.  If Pence was going to attend the Olympics he should have been respectful to all of the nations and leave political feelings at home.  

You make a very good point. My instinct would be to stand, but who knows?  Maybe it was a DC decision not to show any bending toward NK.  They are known for their charm offensives when the heat gets too high, and we always caved in the past.  It may simply be a signal that US policy is not softening.  That sad thing is we were disrespectful of the South Koreans who march in at the same time.  

27 minutes ago, jdsample said:

You make a very good point. My instinct would be to stand, but who knows?  Maybe it was a DC decision not to show any bending toward NK.  They are known for their charm offensives when the heat gets too high, and we always caved in the past.  It may simply be a signal that US policy is not softening.  That sad thing is we were disrespectful of the South Koreans who march in at the same time.  

I'm sure there were a lot of things that went into the decision, and I don't think it is a that huge of a deal, I just think it should not have been done.  Statements and policy can be made at another time and place.  It's not as selfish a decision as Carter made when he boycotted the 1980 Olympics.  I just think Pence should not have chosen the Olympic venue to make a visual statement on behalf of policy.  

1 hour ago, cprenegade said:

I'm sure there were a lot of things that went into the decision, and I don't think it is a that huge of a deal, I just think it should not have been done.  Statements and policy can be made at another time and place.  It's not as selfish a decision as Carter made when he boycotted the 1980 Olympics.  I just think Pence should not have chosen the Olympic venue to make a visual statement on behalf of policy.  

This is probably a case of a propaganda war with NK.  They are doing their best to make hay and present themselves as a civilized country.  Maybe a decision was made not to do anything to help them play nice and look good in front of the world stage?  

16 hours ago, jdsample said:

That's fine.  We all have our opinions.  Pence was not kneeling for the National anthem.  He chose not to honor a bellicose nation threatening a regional war and nuclear holocaust.  I don't think that is too extreme.  

You talking about NK or us?

15 hours ago, mlatoman said:

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Team USA entered the arena prior to the united Korean team, and when they did, Kim Jong Un's sister not only did not applaud...she had a scowl that was austere as can be. 

Touché? 

The two governments have quite a bit in common. I don't recall, certainly not in my life time, an American leader so assiduously emulating the qualities of a tyrant.

17 hours ago, EgyptKang said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mike-karen-pence-apos-took-155530853.html

So .....What the pences are saying is that not standing up during a ceremonial event is one way to protest something unrelated to the event?

The sister of Kim Jong-un remained seated when the USA team marched in while others in the VIP box stood. Rightly or wrongly, Pence behaved in similar fashion. To pretend there should not be tension in that VIP box is to be naive. 

3 minutes ago, Papi said:

The sister of Kim Jong-un remained seated when the USA team marched in while others in the VIP box stood. Rightly or wrongly, Pence behaved in similar fashion. To pretend there should not be tension in that VIP box is to be naive. 

LMAO!!!  Another one who doesn't get it.

14 minutes ago, hst2 said:

The two governments have quite a bit in common. I don't recall, certainly not in my life time, an American leader so assiduously emulating the qualities of a tyrant.

In my lifetime I can't recall anyone who even came close. The problem with this is that trump has set the bar so low. Now future presidents, particularly republicans, will only need to raise the bar slightly and people will believe it is an improvement. Freedom as we have known it has changed under the trump administration.

The republican voters, who trump called stupid, will never get it.

15 hours ago, mlatoman said:

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Team USA entered the arena prior to the united Korean team, and when they did, Kim Jong Un's sister not only did not applaud...she had a scowl that was austere as can be. 

Touché? 

So it seems the Pence's was just playing a childish game of tit for tat.

18 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Right.  We've so much in common with North Korea and it's family Communist dictatorship. 

LOLZ.  :D 

I agree with him skipping the meal with North Korea. Totally different from him not standing when a UNIFIED, which included our ally, entered the arena.

I also believe pence is a hypocrite.  Most of the trump followers don't see it.

Just an observation about North Korea. I would not be a bit surprised if there are some number of athletes among the 22 from North Korea who would like to defect and stay in the south. I would also not be surprised to learn that the families of those athletes are being held in a secure location with guns at the ready should any such thing occur. What would really be a story worthy of a great movie would be if Kim Jong-un's little sister defected, although I would be willing to bet money that any persons close to her are also under guard and threat of death should such a thing happen. 

Comparing the leadership of the USA, no matter how bad it may be at the moment, to the leadership of a hell hole like North Korea is a classic false equivalency. 

7 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

LMAO!!!  Another one who doesn't get it.

I "get it" just fine. My post does not mean I agree with Pence's action, just that I understand it. Now please go pick up your A that fell off. :D

22 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Right.  They are very similar.  :D  :D  :D 

7 minutes ago, Papi said:

I "get it" just fine. My post does not mean I agree with Pence's action, just that I understand it. Now please go pick up your A that fell off. :D

LMAO! Your post DID indicate that you agreed with Pence's action.  You are now backtracking because you see the error of your post. Typical.  However, i won't argue this point any longer. I don't want the Mods to shutdown this thread as is the usual trick you repubs do to get threads you don't like taken down. 

Have a great day. :D

1 minute ago, EgyptKang said:

LMAO! Your post DID indicate that you agreed with Pence's action.  You are now backtracking because you see the error of your post. Typical.  However, i won't argue this point any longer. I don't want the Mods to shutdown this thread as is the usual trick you repubs do to get threads you don't like taken down. 

Have a great day. :D

Too bad that your reading comprehension is so impaired by your personal bias that you don't "get it". Please feel free to point out where in my post I agreed with Pence's action. 

17 minutes ago, Papi said:

Just an observation about North Korea. I would not be a bit surprised if there are some number of athletes among the 22 from North Korea who would like to defect and stay in the south. I would also not be surprised to learn that the families of those athletes are being held in a secure location with guns at the ready should any such thing occur. What would really be a story worthy of a great movie would be if Kim Jong-un's little sister defected, although I would be willing to bet money that any persons close to her are also under guard and threat of death should such a thing happen. 

Comparing the leadership of the USA, no matter how bad it may be at the moment, to the leadership of a hell hole like North Korea is a classic false equivalency. 

I like the story of the 200+ cheerleaders NK sent. But they can only find 22 athletes to compete.

This guy Kim brutally kills members of his own family and we're supposed to show respect?    lmao...

35 minutes ago, Papi said:

Yes.  The comparisons between Trump’s team and Kim Jong Ub are clear.

1 minute ago, Boobie said:

This guy Kim brutally kills members of his own family and we're supposed to show respect?    lmao...

Putin doesn’t kill people? 

I think the comments earlier about separating sports events from politics is spot on, and is something the Olympics has always aspired to, but never quite achieved.  This goes back to at least the 1936 Berlin Olympics, the 1972 Munich Olympics, and of course the US and USSR boycotts of the Moscow and LA Olympics, respectively.  So for VP Pence is make a statement as he did (but not standing) is not really surprising, and certainly not as drastic as actions in the aforementioned ones.  However, this was an opportunity to try to thaw some of the ice, one can argue NK did take the first step.  And of course by not standing for the Unified team, VP Pence was also not standing for the South Korean delegation.  

Just now, Dinglehopper said:

Putin doesn’t kill people? 

you should start a thread about Putin, this one is about North Korea and Kim.   Try and keep up,