Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnpolitics

Cubs sign Darvish... O's just miss out AGAIN

24 posts in this topic

The Cubs and Yu Darvish have agreed to terms a contract that will bring the righty to Chicago, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports on Twitter. The deal guarantees Darvish $126MM over six years (though the total value can reportedly reach $150MM), and is pending a physical.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/02/cubs-to-sign-yu-darvish.html

Maybe they can bring Jake back?

Lol, Big Dan and the O’s were never in the running for Darvish.

MLBTR initially had Darvish at about 6/$160, while Fangraphs had him as high as 6/$168. By those standards, at least, Darvish is going cheap. I thought those estimate were a tad high, given Darvish's injury history. I wonder if the two opt-out clauses in the deal (for years and two and three) are what sealed the deal, although I wonder how much kinder the market would be for Darvish even if he does have more than one bite at the apple.

1 hour ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Os wouldve been idiotic to pay that gor Darvish 

Yeah  who needs Darvish when  the rotation we currently have is kick arse. :huh:

6 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Yeah  who needs Darvish when  the rotation we currently have is kick arse. :huh:

Would love to have him but a 6yr deal is nuts 

Especially when it would play out like this 

Yr 1 5-12 

Yr 2 12-9 

Yr 3 DL 

Yr 4 tommy john 

Yr 5 traded to cubs 

Yr 6 WS MVP 

Why because its the Orioles way when it comes to pitching 😢😢😢😢

Thing is, with Darvish getting six years--even if the total dollars are below projected value--guys like Arrieta, Cobb, and Lynn are sure to take notice. Given the Orioles refusal to give more than three years to a pitcher, none of those guys may "fall back" to them now since they're sure to insist on longer terms.

3 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

Thing is, with Darvish getting six years--even if the total dollars are below projected value--guys like Arrieta, Cobb, and Lynn are sure to take notice. Given the Orioles refusal to give more than three years to a pitcher, none of those guys may "fall back" to them now since they're sure to insist on longer terms.

Realistically the O's weren't going to pay any of those guys even half of that.

1 minute ago, mdrunning said:

Sigh

The Orioles were unlikely to sign any kind of quality pitcher, and the Darvish signing doesn't change that. It's a dysfunctional franchise and it will be as long as current ownership (to include the two Baby Docs) is involved.

5 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Realistically the O's weren't going to pay any of those guys even half of that.

There have been rumors of the Orioles talking with Lance Lynn about a three-year deal for $57 million. I don't think Lynn is worth that on an annual basis, but if the Orioles remain steadfast in their refusal to go beyond three years (which I think is foolish), then a few more bucks over fewer years might be the only way he'd be tempted.

5 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

There have been rumors of the Orioles talking with Lance Lynn about a three-year deal for $57 million. I don't think Lynn is worth that on an annual basis, but if the Orioles remain steadfast in their refusal to go beyond three years (which I think is foolish), then a few more bucks over fewer years might be the only way he'd be tempted.

Rumors are what they are. You have more confidence in the O's front office than I do. 

1 minute ago, bmore_ken said:

Rumors are what they are. You have more confidence in the O's front office than I do. 

I didn't take it for anything more than that either, particularly since the Orioles have this annoying habit of blowing hot and cold in these instances, making it impossible to gauge whether or not "talks" have actually evolved into negotiations. 

Pitchers aren't exactly knocking the down the door to pitch at Camden Yards to begin with. It isn't a favored destination by any means. Couple that with all of the uncertainty regarding the team given all of the expiring contracts--including Duquette and Showalter--and that reluctance understandably increases. 

I wonder sometimes whether the Orioles have a guy whose job is to drop baseless rumors so fans think the front office is actually doing something. :)

48 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

I wonder sometimes whether the Orioles have a guy whose job is to drop baseless rumors so fans think the front office is actually doing something. :)

Whoever he is he should be fired. Because most of us aren't fooled.:lol:

16 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

Agree.  This Lance Lynn rumor seems to have zero traction.  Leak from the O's FO via their propaganda media arm MASN. Past history shows this is the O's MO.  Look fans, we're out there competing for top end players.  Its all bull.

I think some of this is put out there by the agents as well, just to create the impression of interest and urgency. The Twins were reported to have offered Darvish a contract, but that proved to be nothing but hot air. The Yankees were said to be "in talks" with Darvish's agent, which immediately led to speculation they were finalizing a deal, but both sides claimed that no serious negotiations ever took place. Oftentimes, these talks are nothing more than due diligence on the part of the clubs than anything else. Asking around doesn't cost anything, after all.

According to Jon Heyman, the Cubs, for instance, were reportedly "in touch" with Arrieta as well, but decided to go with Darvish largely due to price. There was also the belief from Cubs management that they could stay under the luxury tax even after adding Darvish's $21.6 AAV, which may have been a factor as well.

NY & Boston own Darvish. But he kept Bal, TB and Tor in check. 

Darvish also came without compensation attached, which I think also explains why he was the first of the big-name starting pitchers to sign. The others, Arrieta, Cobb and Lynn, all rejected qualifying offers from their previous clubs.

Jim Duquette was on The Fan today, and while he frankly admitted he was worried about the Orioles' seemingly glacial approach to the rotation, he also pointed out the dangers of waiting for the market to come back to them. If the price continues to drop on these guys, that's going to inevitably result in more interest from other clubs, particularly those who wouldn't have to surrender that much in free agent compensation. 

On 2/11/2018 at 10:32 AM, CROUSEMAN said:

Agree.  This Lance Lynn rumor seems to have zero traction.  Leak from the O's FO via their propaganda media arm MASN. Past history shows this is the O's MO.  Look fans, we're out there competing for top end players.  Its all bull.

Roch is their puppet for delivering the team’s talking points.

On 2/10/2018 at 4:41 PM, bmore_ken said:

Roch & Smuck won’t ask these questions but I wonder how many calls Big Dan made about Dsrvish. (Answer: none).

1 hour ago, pitbull said:

Roch & Smuck won’t ask these questions but I wonder how many calls Big Dan made about Dsrvish. (Answer: none).

Schmuck is likely candidate to be hired by MASN when the Sun lets him go or goes out of business. By echoing  the front office narrative, he is essentially saying “please hire me, guys.”

He would fit in good with the other water boys: Tom Davis, Dave Johnson and Roch Dorkbaco. 

Edited by Manny