Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EgyptKang

Trump tweets on lives 'being shattered ... by a mere allegation'

25 posts in this topic

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/10/politics/trump-tweets-on-porter/index.html

Peoples lives are being shattered and destroyed by a mere allegation," the President tweeted."Some are true and some are false. Some are old and some are new. There is no recovery for someone falsely accused - life and career are gone. Is there no such thing any longer as Due Process?

You mean like the innocent Central Park five who you took out a full page ad calling for their execution?

Trump is the best definition of enigma that I have ever seen.

People who are innocent are free to remain and fight their allegations. If Trump told innocent men to leave his administration to improve his optics then he is a hypocrite. And if he is referring to Porter, then he chose very poorly, as photographic evidence constitutes a little more than a "mere allegation".

Maybe there's so much stupid swirling around in there, the only way he can bleed some of it off is Twitter? I guess before Twitter he spoke to his spouses or friends, and they're all full up now? :)

“We found out about it recently and I was surprised by it, but we certainly wish him well and it’s a tough time for him.”

“But it was very sad when we heard about it, and certainly he’s also very sad now.”

In Trump’s construction, he uses “it” instead of a number of verbs. The small, ambiguous noun can’t do the work.

“It” does not describe “punched his wife.”

“It” does not describe “bruised her arm.”

“It” does not describe “smashed glass.”

“It” does not describe “yelled obscenities.”

It is benign. It requires no apology, no accountability, and no responsibility. It omits the actor. And itpretends the victim never existed. The result is that a predator is held up and the accusers are erased.

...Trump’s attempt to help Porter on Friday shows he understands the root of #MeToo’s power. When victims speak, when they take action, when they force us to see, the power of predators fades away. The best Trump could do for Porter was to take away his victims’ humanity, their active descriptions, and replace it all with just one word: “it.”

Link

42 minutes ago, michiganjoe said:

Central Park 5

You beat me to it.

Took out a full page ad in New York papers about the death penalty for those kids.

Then it comes out with DNA evidence and they found the guy that did it and they get released. When interviewed during his campaign, Captain Due Process states that they're still guilty.

And this spousal abuse has nothing to do with "due process". He was absolutely welcome to keep both Porter and the speechwriter on his staff (Porter was kept on when they knew he had issues, why not longer?). No legal process removed them. 

41 minutes ago, bmorepunk said:

You beat me to it.

Took out a full page ad in New York papers about the death penalty for those kids.

Then it comes out with DNA evidence and they found the guy that did it and they get released. When interviewed during his campaign, Captain Due Process states that they're still guilty.

And this spousal abuse has nothing to do with "due process". He was absolutely welcome to keep both Porter and the speechwriter on his staff (Porter was kept on when they knew he had issues, why not longer?). No legal process removed them. 

I said that in my initial post.

There is no recovery for someone falsely accused - life and career are gone.

Donny maintains that he’s been falsely accused. Life and career seem fine.

Like him or not, there is truth in what he said. ALLEGATIONS have destroyed lives.

58 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Like him or not, there is truth in what he said. ALLEGATIONS have destroyed lives.

Someone truly innocent can stay and fight. If his employer fires him without proof that might be actionable. If he resigns, that's his choice - and it probably means he knows he's guilty. For a very long time, the powerful in politics and business have felt like the powerless were their toys to play with, especially women and children. That's finally changing. Is that going to catch a few people who "didn't think they were doing anything wrong"? Probably. But it still needs to change.

1. Don't tell a co-worker a joke you wouldn't tell your Mom.

2. Don't touch anyone unless they have invited that, unambiguously. If you're not sure, keep off.

Those rules aren't so difficult for even people of modest intelligence to understand. Surely top politicians, business executives and others in power have the mental toolkit to comprehend them.

15 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Someone truly innocent can stay and fight. If his employer fires him without proof that might be actionable. If he resigns, that's his choice - and it probably means he knows he's guilty. For a very long time, the powerful in politics and business have felt like the powerless were their toys to play with, especially women and children. That's finally changing. Is that going to catch a few people who "didn't think they were doing anything wrong"? Probably. But it still needs to change.

1. Don't tell a co-worker a joke you wouldn't tell your Mom.

2. Don't touch anyone unless they have invited that, unambiguously. If you're not sure, keep off.

Those rules aren't so difficult for even people of modest intelligence to understand. Surely top politicians, business executives and others in power have the mental toolkit to comprehend them.

Really? Like Al Franken? What about "entertainers" with allegations made against them? Are they guilty until proven innocent?

How very silly.

Once an allegation is public, the man's life is ruin whether the allegations are based in fact or not.

I am tired of people acting like people, yes, including women, are incapable of lying for their own personal gain or for revenge. Or for politics. 

53 minutes ago, Patapeake said:

ABUSE has destroyed lives as well.

No kidding.

23 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Really? Like Al Franken? What about "entertainers" with allegations made against them? Are they guilty until proven innocent?

How very silly.

Once an allegation is public, the man's life is ruin whether the allegations are based in fact or not.

I am tired of people acting like people, yes, including women, are incapable of lying for their own personal gain or for revenge. Or for politics. 

I agree to a point but in Porter’s case, the abuse of his ex-wives is documented by court records and FBI reports. He had no business working in the White House 

1 minute ago, soulflower said:

I agree to a point but in Porter’s case, the abuse of his ex-wives is documented by court records and FBI reports. He had no business working in the White House 

These things have to be taken on a case-by-case basis.  And I agree that he had no business working in the WH. Then again, IMO, neither does the man sitting in the OO.

40 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

How very silly.

Al Franken is innocent? There were multiple accusations and he left the Senate - an admission of guilt.

1 hour ago, soulflower said:

There are court records, hadn't seen that .......

If he's been charged with domestic violence, I'd like to see the link.....

If he did hit those women then they should have gone to the police and he should have been punished .....

Domestic violence should be punished and shouldn't not be dependent on the abused testified or spousal protection.....

In general I do have a problem with a lot of these recent cases being tried in the media, many after decades of silence with no legal recourse for the accused ....

Even folks convicted and punished for domestic violence at some point have to get on with their lives and work again, albeit not necessarily in the white house .....

But someone never legally charged and allow to defend themselves don't even have the chance to move on .....

Edited by Eastside Terp

1 hour ago, Evil Yoda said:

Al Franken is innocent? There were multiple accusations and he left the Senate - an admission of guilt.

Right, Evil Yoda. Life is just that black and white and cut and dry. 

22 hours ago, Patapeake said:

More like a cancer. 

18 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Right, Evil Yoda. Life is just that black and white and cut and dry. 

Not always. But run from your accusers and I assume it's because they're speaking the truth.

What is remarkable about Trump's tweet, is how much it applies to him. Here, he bragged about assaulting women, and was elected president. And most white women voted for him. His administration is rife with men who have been accused of assaulting women. He lives in a world where it is not only condoned. It is expected. Women should beware. Its their fault if they are sexually assaulted by men.

And, of course, the tweet is a contradiction of his bringing the Bill Clinton accusers to the debate.

But we are no longer shocked by his contradiction, by his own criminality. In fact, it probably helps him. As he denigrates these women who have been assaulted by ignoring their charges and the evidence of the crimes, he casts people like himself as victims, and his supporters act accordingly to that. Its like ringing a bell.

Edited by hst2

4 hours ago, Sprightly said:

These things have to be taken on a case-by-case basis.  And I agree that he had no business working in the WH. Then again, IMO, neither does the man sitting in the OO.

So what are people arguing about here?

5 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

You're conflating politics with law.

Franken left the Senate because the allegations put him in a politically untenable position.

Has Franken been charged with violating any law?

On 2/10/2018 at 4:33 PM, Patapeake said:

When you understand that everything is about him and him only, he's not so hard to figure out.