Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EgyptKang

A Texas teacher just died because of flu

152 posts in this topic

http://washingtonpress.com/2018/02/10/texas-teacher-just-died-couldnt-afford-116-flu-treatment/

While a particularly virulent strain of the H3N2 flu virus is responsible for more complications, hospitalizations and deaths, especially among children, seniors, and people with certain chronic illnesses, preventable deaths are being exacerbated by a lack of access to reasonably priced treatment.

Take the case of Heather Holland, a second-grade teacher at Ikard Elementary School in North Texas. Holland fell ill with the flu on a Tuesday and sought treatment, but delayed picking up her medication because her prescription had a $116 co-pay.

NOW is it time to talk about Universal Healthcare Repubs?  I mean she is a Teacher in Texas AND she is white. Maybe....now?

Obamacare? Why does it matter what color she is?

Edited by com6063

19 minutes ago, jdsample said:

So Obamacare doesn't work?  Who knew?  

Just look at who is responsible for it.

37 minutes ago, com6063 said:

Obamacare? Why does it matter what color she is?

It matters to republicans.

It's more likely she did not consider the flu worth a $116 co-pay. Relatively few people die from the flu these days, and especially few otherwise healthy people, so her decision isn't entirely meritless. She just happened to be wrong this time.

That treatment here would cost a maximum of £8.60 (~$10.00), for me it would have been free.

16 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

It's more likely she did not consider the flu worth a $116 co-pay. Relatively few people die from the flu these days, and especially few otherwise healthy people, so her decision isn't entirely meritless. She just happened to be wrong this time.

Not to mention if that treatment is tamaflu, she may have decided she didn’t want the risk it comes with.  Like death or psychotic issues.

57 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Just look at who is responsible for it.

Obama.  

1 hour ago, EgyptKang said:

It matters to republicans.

No; I'm a Republican and I don't care. I think the only person who does is you.

3 hours ago, EgyptKang said:

http://washingtonpress.com/2018/02/10/texas-teacher-just-died-couldnt-afford-116-flu-treatment/

NOW is it time to talk about Universal Healthcare Repubs?  I mean she is a Teacher in Texas AND she is white. Maybe....now?

Isn't Obamacare still the law of the land? I mean I know the mandate's gone but hasn't had any affect yet, so you should be blaming Obama and the dems.

"Until a universal, Medicare-for-all-style health system is finally established in this country, get your flu shot now, if you can afford it, and don’t take the flu lightly if you do catch it."

Basic medicare doesn't cover prescriptions and even Part D has co-pays

Edited by Saticon3

2 hours ago, WKDWZD said:

That treatment here would cost a maximum of £8.60 (~$10.00), for me it would have been free.

You are blessed to live in a civilized society.  In America Mad Max style barbarism reigns and any attempt to ameliorate the situation is opposed with fanatical intensity. ( Republican subversion of Obama care)

her salary would be 48,000 to 60,000, not jet set pay sure, but not poverty either, and she had a husband as well-- who presumably is employed as well---  I think it was more an economic choice rather than a necessity- had she known she would die without it,  no doubt she would have and could have bought it, but there's in no way a certainty that she would not have died anyway even if she had the medicine. Her husband didn't blame poverty for it, in fact, he bought it for her when she got worse, but it was too late to help at that point, if it would have helped at all.  It needs to be taken 36 - 48 hours within onset of symptoms to even have a chance.  She had been sick for a week already before she even went to the doctor, according to her husband. This is pure exploitation to make a political point. 

Edited by Saticon3

2 hours ago, jdsample said:

Obama.  

Not any more.

1 minute ago, hst2 said:

Not any more.

oh, so now you're blaming Trump for not fixing Obama's mess fast enough. 

2 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

her salary would be 48,000 to 60,000, not jet set pay sure, but not poverty either, and she had a husband as well-- who presumably is employed as well---  I think it was more an economic choice rather than a necessity- had she known she would die without it,  no doubt she would have and could have bought it, but there's in no way a certainty that she would not have died anyway even if she had the medicine. Her husband didn't blame poverty for it, in fact, he bought it for her when she got worse, but it was too late to help at that point, if it would have helped at all.  It needs to be taken 36 - 48 hours within onset of symptoms to even have a chance. This is pure exploitation to make a political point. 

She went to the doctor, had prescribed medication and was taking it.  The website in the original post is fake news.  Probably Russians duping people who need to be upset to make it through the day.

from the husband:

"Holland fell ill about a week ago and planned to pick up flu medication but felt the $116 copay was too high, her husband said. "

Note he doesn't say they couldn't afford it, but rather that she "felt the co-pay was too high"

Just now, Saticon3 said:

from the husband:

"Holland fell ill about a week ago and planned to pick up flu medication but felt the $116 copay was too high, her husband said. "

Note he doesn't say they couldn't afford it, but rather that she "felt the co-pay was too high"

The co pay should not have been that high.

7 minutes ago, RileyMartin said:

She went to the doctor, had prescribed medication and was taking it.  The website in the original post is fake news.  Probably Russians duping people who need to be upset to make it through the day.

Yes

"Frank Holland said his wife started feeling ill a week ago and went to the doctor on Wednesday.

She was diagnosed with the flu and given a prescription for TamiFlu, which she started taking Thursday, he said.

Her condition worsened and she checked into Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Southwest Fort Worth late Friday, her husband said."

was too late for tamiflu to have helped her anyway

Edited by Saticon3

1 minute ago, kandace said:

that's your opinion, fine. The co-pay for my dexilant shouldn't be $60, but I pay it because I'd rather do without the $60 than suffer the effects of GERD.

Edited by Saticon3

6 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Not any more.

Oh was it repealed & replaced?  I didn't hear.  

2 hours ago, jdsample said:

Obama.  

Not entirely. Trump owns a big piece of it now, because he screwed with it trying to make it worse.

2 minutes ago, kandace said:

For stuff like that I agree.   Unfortunately insurance is burdened with a lot of stuff that should be out of pocket like check ups and annual shots & blood work.  If auto insurance worked the same way, you would call your agent and make a claim every time you got below a quarter of a tank of gas or needed an oil change or wiper fluid.