Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EgyptKang

A Texas teacher just died because of flu

152 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, jdsample said:

Oh was it repealed & replaced?  I didn't hear.  

Our national healthcare policy is the responsibility of those in government now. It is not the responsibility of the previous administration.

Just now, Evil Yoda said:

Not entirely. Trump owns a big piece of it now, because he screwed with it trying to make it worse.

He eliminated the mandate yes, and unconstitutional payments to insurance companies.  If they wanted to transfer tax dollars to the big insurance companies, they should have made it part of the law rather than relying on illegal executive orders.    This lady obviously had insurance.  

Just now, jdsample said:

He eliminated the mandate yes, and unconstitutional payments to insurance companies.  If they wanted to transfer tax dollars to the big insurance companies, they should have made it part of the law rather than relying on illegal executive orders.    This lady obviously had insurance.  

He could have worked to correct its flaws. But he can't stand the idea that the country had a black president and is trying to eliminate everything Obama did. He even struck down a regulation requiring tests for sleep apnea for certain drivers/engineers, etc. Look what that led to.

3 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Our national healthcare policy is the responsibility of those in government now. It is not the responsibility of the previous administration.

LOL.  So I guess Obama doesn't get credit or blame for anything anymore and it's all on Trump.  Maybe you think Trump is responsible for winning WW II?  

2 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

He could have worked to correct its flaws. But he can't stand the idea that the country had a black president and is trying to eliminate everything Obama did. He even struck down a regulation requiring tests for sleep apnea for certain drivers/engineers, etc. Look what that led to.

He did try to fix it but was defeated in Congress.  Where we disagree is I think the entire concept was a giant flaw.  My entire life I have seen people complain about healthcare, so we give it another injection of government and we make it worse.  Repeat every 4 years.  

11 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

and he's supposed to accomplish this in the first year in office, and never mind that demlib state AG's  sue to block everything he does and find sympathetic judges who block his actions even when they are clearly under the Presidents power to do, and add in Shutdown Nancy & Chuck and toss in a few establishment Trump hater R Senators--- yeah, its Trump's fault all right.  But,actually its no one's fault. its just fate,  this poor lady did not die due to any shortages of the US healthcare system.  You guys should find better examples to try to prove your points, instead of picking just anything close and trying to make it fit your narrative. 

Edited by Saticon3

24 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

and he's supposed to accomplish this in the first year in office, and never mind that demlib state AG's  sue to block everything he does and find sympathetic judges who block his actions even when they are clearly under the Presidents power to do, and add in Shutdown Nancy & Chuck and toss in a few establishment Trump hater R Senators--- yeah, its Trump's fault all right.  But,actually its no one's fault. its just fate this poor lady did not die due to any shortages of the US healthcare system. 

He's supposed to make some progress. As for Congress working against him because it has some people who disagree with him, well, see "Reagan, Ronald". Trump's party controls Congress as well as the executive. The problem with their attempts to "fix" Obamacare was that some of them thought those fixes were too cruel and the rest thought they were cruel enough. That's the Republicans. I had a friend who supports Trump bemoan that "they (he meant Democrats) won't let him do anything" early in his presidency. Of course not - they disagree with his ideas. That is how politics works. If the job was easy, anyone could do it. Well, okay, most people. Not Trump. :)

As far as whether an action is within the president's power - are you a Constitutional scholar or lawyer? If not, then the chances are, those judges are right and you are wrong. There was a guy (perhaps a troll) on the other board who was absolutely certain he understood the Constitution better than men and women who had studied it their whole lives. Is that what you believe?

As far as this woman is concerned, since she's dead we cannot ask her the basis for her decision; the likelihood that we'll ever be certain why she died is close to zero.

Edited by Evil Yoda

31 minutes ago, RileyMartin said:

She went to the doctor, had prescribed medication and was taking it.  The website in the original post is fake news.  Probably Russians duping people who need to be upset to make it through the day.

I am seriously sick of the fake "news" that is posted on this forum and everywhere else.

Ms. Holland went to the pharmacy. She learned the antiviral medication would cost her $116 under the prescription-drug coverage she had as a teacher, and she refused it. They had the money, Mr. Holland said: “It’s principle with her. She’s a very frugal person in general, always has been.”

After bringing their children home from church that night, Mr. Holland discovered his wife was taking Nyquil, he said. She told him she thought the price of the antiviral was ridiculous. He went to the pharmacy Thursday morning and got it filled himself. “I made her start taking it,” he said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-mothers-six-day-struggle-with-americas-deadly-flu-1518196692

Heather's unfortunate death is not Obama's fault. It's not Trump's fault. She made an unfortunate decision.

2 hours ago, jdsample said:

He did try to fix it but was defeated in Congress.  Where we disagree is I think the entire concept was a giant flaw.  My entire life I have seen people complain about healthcare, so we give it another injection of government and we make it worse.  Repeat every 4 years.  

LMAO!!!  He (trump) tried to fix it?  He only wanted to lower the taxes of the rich and put more money in the pockets of Health Insurance carriers.

1 minute ago, EgyptKang said:

LMAO!!!  He (trump) tried to fix it?  He only wanted to lower the taxes of the rich and put more money in the pockets of Health Insurance carriers.

He ripped money out of the pockets of insurance carriers.  Get some facts.  

2 minutes ago, jdsample said:

He ripped money out of the pockets of insurance carriers.  Get some facts.  

Link please!

6 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

It's more likely she did not consider the flu worth a $116 co-pay. Relatively few people die from the flu these days, and especially few otherwise healthy people, so her decision isn't entirely meritless. She just happened to be wrong this time.

I agree. That $116, was probably less than her cable tv bill.

On 2/11/2018 at 2:20 AM, kandace said:

The co pay should not have been that high.

Even on the 'grey market' Tamiflu can be bought for only £23,50 (under $30) over here. Your Big Pharma and insurance companies are robbing you all sideways, and most on here just meekly roll over an say - 'can I have some more, please?'

Edited by WKDWZD

On 2/11/2018 at 2:21 AM, Saticon3 said:

that's your opinion, fine. The co-pay for my dexilant shouldn't be $60, but I pay it because I'd rather do without the $60 than suffer the effects of GERD.

I think that you're missing the point entirely.

Edited by WKDWZD

9 hours ago, jdsample said:

LOL.  So I guess Obama doesn't get credit or blame for anything anymore and it's all on Trump.  Maybe you think Trump is responsible for winning WW II?  

I think your Orange hero may well be responsible for starting WW III. ;)

I bet she would have had a 10$ co-pay for the same medication prior to Obama care. Just like me.

She undoubtedly got her health care from the school district that was her employer and this would have absolutely nothing to do with Obamacare.. I understand conservatives have gotten into the habit of blaming it for everything that happens in the health care marketplace but try and just stick with the facts.

9 minutes ago, michiganjoe said:

She undoubtedly got her health care from the school district that was her employer and this would have absolutely nothing to do with Obamacare.. I understand conservatives have gotten into the habit of blaming it for everything that happens in the health care marketplace but try and just stick with the facts.

Yes, her union should have got a better deal on health insurance.

14 hours ago, com6063 said:

Obamacare? Why does it matter what color she is?

Texas didn’t expand Medicaid 

11 hours ago, Saticon3 said:

her salary would be 48,000 to 60,000, not jet set pay sure, but not poverty either, and she had a husband as well-- who presumably is employed as well---  I think it was more an economic choice rather than a necessity- had she known she would die without it,  no doubt she would have and could have bought it, but there's in no way a certainty that she would not have died anyway even if she had the medicine. Her husband didn't blame poverty for it, in fact, he bought it for her when she got worse, but it was too late to help at that point, if it would have helped at all.  It needs to be taken 36 - 48 hours within onset of symptoms to even have a chance.  She had been sick for a week already before she even went to the doctor, according to her husband. This is pure exploitation to make a political point. 

Teachers in Texas don’t start at 48K hell teachers here don’t start at that.

I bet her cable bill was more than $116 a month.  If she didn't care about her health, why should I?   

What does the color of her skin have to do with it?    Ooops, forgot EK started the thread.  I know why now.  

2 minutes ago, Boobie said:

I bet her cable bill was more than $116 a month.  If she didn't care about her health, why should I?   

What does the color of her skin have to do with it?    Ooops, forgot EK started the thread.  I know why now.  

How do you know she had cable?

Just now, jtowne-swim said:

How do you know she had cable?

I bet your cable bill is too