Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EgyptKang

A Texas teacher just died because of flu

152 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, jtowne-swim said:

Teachers in Texas don’t start at 48K hell teachers here don’t start at that.

not true, how can say that?  Do you know the salary scale in every school district in Texas?

The median annual Public School Teacher salary in Austin, TX is $54,069, as of November 28, 2017, with a range usually between $47,202-$62,422 not including bonus and benefit information and other factors that impact base pay.

Or how about San Antonio?

http://www.swisd.net/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=2533323

Edited by Boobie

19 minutes ago, Boobie said:

I bet your cable bill is too

Mine is but I am not the question

17 minutes ago, Boobie said:

not true, how can say that?  Do you know the salary scale in every school district in Texas?

The median annual Public School Teacher salary in Austin, TX is $54,069, as of November 28, 2017, with a range usually between $47,202-$62,422 not including bonus and benefit information and other factors that impact base pay.

Or how about San Antonio?

http://www.swisd.net/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=2533323

No I don’t but ISD’s in Texas don’t all pay so high. Teachers rarely get bonuses!

What part of they could afford the medication but chose not to buy the medicine until it was too late are you folks having a hard time understanding?

1 hour ago, WKDWZD said:

Even on the 'grey market' Tamiflu can be bought for only £23-50 (under $30) over here. Your Big Pharma and insurance companies are robbing you all sideways, and most on here just meekly roll over an say - 'can I have some more, please?'

This young lady passed away of flu this month. Are you going to blame your healthcare system for her death?

An 18-year-old engineering student died of flu after following NHS warnings to not attend A&E over Christmas unless it was an emergency.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-43001128?intlink_from_url=http://www.bbc.com/news/topics/cp7r8vglnnwt/nhs&link_location=live-reporting-story

17 hours ago, EgyptKang said:

http://washingtonpress.com/2018/02/10/texas-teacher-just-died-couldnt-afford-116-flu-treatment/

NOW is it time to talk about Universal Healthcare Repubs?  I mean she is a Teacher in Texas AND she is white. Maybe....now?

http://keranews.org/post/free-flu-shots-dallas-county

Free flu shots are available in Texas and in more than one location.  

Massive thread fail.   

3 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Massive thread fail.   

This is not about flu shot (which we all know is free in many locations and that some people refuse to have anyway).  It's about the teacher's decision to not spend money, something she could afford according to her own husband, on Tamiflu until it was too late for her.  

The thread title is a lie but to be expected from the writer of the piece in the link - and those who will swallow swill at will.

3 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

This is not about flu shot (which we all know is free in many locations and that some people refuse to have anyway).  It's about the teacher's decision to not spend money, something she could afford according to her own husband, on Tamiflu until it was too late for her.  

The thread title is a lie but to be expected from the writer of the piece in the link - and those who will swallow swill at will.

So, it's actually about misplaced spending priorities by a working married couple, not an impoverished teacher victimized by evil Republicans.   

10 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Massive thread fail.   

Flu shots that allegedly prevent the flu. People still get sick from Flu shots.  What we are talking about here is the affordability of healthcare AFTER catching the Flu.

Do keep up.  Your post is the fail.....as usual.

A little more information would be helpful. Tamiflu is available as a generic and the copay seems a bit out of line.

4 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

So, it's actually about misplaced spending priorities by a working married couple, not an impoverished teacher victimized by evil Republicans.   

Yes.

1 minute ago, EgyptKang said:

Flu shots that allegedly prevent the flu. People still get sick from Flu shots.  What we are talking about here is the affordability of healthcare AFTER catching the Flu.

Spending priorities matter.

2 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

People do not get sick from the flu shot.

17 hours ago, EgyptKang said:

http://washingtonpress.com/2018/02/10/texas-teacher-just-died-couldnt-afford-116-flu-treatment/

NOW is it time to talk about Universal Healthcare Repubs?  I mean she is a Teacher in Texas AND she is white. Maybe....now?

Sounds like she must have had some of that wonderful insurance offered under the Affordable Care Act. 

2 hours ago, jtowne-swim said:

Texas didn’t expand Medicaid 

She likely made too much money to qualify.

24 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

People do not get sick from the flu shot.

I've worked for several companies over the years that offered us free flu shots. Then several days later people complained of flu like symptoms and missed time from work. It never affected me that way. 

1 hour ago, Sprightly said:

This young lady passed away of flu this month. Are you going to blame your healthcare system for her death?

An 18-year-old engineering student died of flu after following NHS warnings to not attend A&E over Christmas unless it was an emergency.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-43001128?intlink_from_url=http://www.bbc.com/news/topics/cp7r8vglnnwt/nhs&link_location=live-reporting-story

No, I do not blame our health system for her death. The A&E (Accident & Emergency) should be the last resort of health care. In this womans case it sounds like she was an emergency and should have attended, however, long before she reached that condition other options were available to her. Her first actiion should have been to contact her own GP (General Practitioner), failing that or out of surgery hours she should have contacted the NHS Healthline 111, both of those actions would have vetted the lady and if either deemed it necessary they would have had her admitted to hospital. 

I had occasion to use the 111 service two years ago when, on a Sunday I called them as I was suffering a particularly bad coughing spell for advice, I had had the cough for about 2 weeks. The nurse that I spoke to after asking about my medical history was concerned about my sounding short of breath and because of a heart condition she asked me to go straight to the Out Of Hours practice at the hospital, she asked if I could make my own way there but would send an ambulance when one was available if necessary. Upshot, after a check up, all the regular stuff, was a pat on the head and a course of antibiotics, with instructions to visit my GP if no improvement within 48 hours.

Our NHS isn't perfect by any means but in the instance of your lady, the Tamiflu would have cost no more than $30, though from what I read, it would have been too late anyway.

Edited by WKDWZD

3 hours ago, WKDWZD said:

Even on the 'grey market' Tamiflu can be bought for only £23-50 (under $30) over here. Your Big Pharma and insurance companies are robbing you all sideways, and most on here just meekly roll over an say - 'can I have some more, please?'

Yes, they are. With the complete support of politicians, most of them from the GOP.

40 minutes ago, Papi said:

Sounds like she must have had some of that wonderful insurance offered under the Affordable Care Act. 

Couldn't Congress fix it? It is their job, after all.

1 minute ago, Evil Yoda said:

Yes, they are. With the complete support of politicians, most of them from the GOP.

:rolleyes: That would be true if not for the fact that almost as many Democrats have received financial support from pharmaceutical companies. More in the Senate than in the House. But hey, why let facts stand in your blame game?

His first secretary for Health and Human Services, Tom Price, resigned in disgrace last September after it was revealed that he spent $400,000 chartering private jets at taxpayer expense. The president’s choice for C.D.C. director, Dr. Brenda Fitzgerald, resigned in January after reports that she had recently bought stock in a tobacco company. That capped months of recusing herself from various official duties because she owned shares in biotech and health-information companies.

...It was screamingly obvious that this season might well be bad. ...But the C.D.C. issued no unusual warning and appeared to do less than usual to promote the intervention that matters most: flu shots....In previous years, the C.D.C. usually held autumn events to encourage flu shots. Led by the director, they could involve detailed discussion of the looming viral threat. Dr. Fitzgerald, new to office, did not hold one.

Mr. Price’s tenure focused less on public health than on repealing the Affordable Care Act, a mission Mr. Trump demanded. “He better get the votes,” Mr. Trump told a crowd. “If he doesn’t, I’m going to say, ‘Tom, you’re fired!’”

link

The Trump administration and those interested in public health have different priorities.

3 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

:rolleyes: That would be true if not for the fact that almost as many Democrats have received financial support from pharmaceutical companies. More in the Senate than in the House. But hey, why let facts stand in your blame game?

I'm sure there are culpable Democrats as well. But when you ask someone whose constituency consists only of wealthy people, they will tell you the GOP - if they are honest.

17 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

No, I do not blame our health system for her death. The A&E (Accident & Emergency) should be the last resort of health care. In this womans case it sounds like she was an emergency and should have attended, however, long before she reached that condition other options were available to her. Her first actiion should have been to contact her own GP (General Practitioner), failing that or out of surgery hours she should have contacted the NHS Healthline 111, both of those actions would have vetted the lady and if either deemed it necessary they would have had her admitted to hospital. 

I had occasion to use the 111 service two years ago when, on a Sunday I called them as I was suffering a particularly bad coughing spell for advice, I had had the cough for about 2 weeks. The nurse that I spoke to after asking about my medical history was concerned about my sounding short of breath and because of a heart condition she asked me to go straight to the Out Of Hours practice at the hospital, she asked if I could make my own way there but would send an ambulance when one was available if necessary. Upshot, after a check up, all the regular stuff, was a pat on the head and a course of antibiotics, with instructions to visit my GP if no improvement within 48 hours.

Our NHS isn't perfect by any means but in the instance of your lady, the Tamiflu would have cost no more than $30, though from what I read, it would have been too late anyway.

The fact is that the teacher could have paid for the treatment and chose not to until it was too late.

I am glad that your medical issue was resolved to your satisfaction.

And I know that I've never had to wait for a sick visit appointment and have always received good care from my primary. And when I've had urgent care needs, I have gone to urgent care centers. And when I've had emergency care (twice), I know to go to the ER. But I also know that an ER is not the place to go for a cold.

Americans are just not quite ready to pay up to 45% of their income in taxes to help support a NHS type system. 

7 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Indeed, it is a bi-partisan mess, but now, the GOP has all the power so only they can do something about it, and they have decided not to.