Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EgyptKang

A Texas teacher just died because of flu

152 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Are you serious? Those of us who work and file a TAX RETURN every year know what we pay in taxes.

I'm not so sure.  Do you add up the taxes you pay on gasoline, internet, state & local taxes?  How about sales taxes and property taxes?  And then there are all the taxes you pay that are impossible to see.  Sure, your Taco Bell receipt lists the sales tax, but how much corporate tax is built into the price of the burrito?  And that is true of literally everything you buy from automobiles to haircuts.  I've never tried to do the math, but it would be interesting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jdsample said:

I'm not so sure.  Do you add up the taxes you pay on gasoline, internet, state & local taxes?  How about sales taxes and property taxes?  And then there are all the taxes you pay that are impossible to see.  Sure, your Taco Bell receipt lists the sales tax, but how much corporate tax is built into the price of the burrito?  And that is true of literally everything you buy from automobiles to haircuts.  I've never tried to do the math, but it would be interesting.  

Income tax is the discussion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Income tax is the discussion.

 

OK, Yoda just said taxes.  You are right, any yahoo can see how much income tax they pay.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sprightly said:

Income tax is the discussion.

 

he cant be wrong, it must be us ......

we are all too dumb to know what we are doing ......

big brother and the government knows what is best for us ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jdsample said:

OK, Yoda just said taxes.  You are right, any yahoo can see how much income tax they pay.  

But a lot of people think the percentage is a lot higher than it actually is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

But a lot of people think the percentage is a lot higher than it actually is.

That could be.  A lot of people can't calculate a percentage.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jdsample said:

This largely confirms what Evil Yoda has been saying.  They look at the revenue from premium pricing, defined as the difference between the price in the US and other countries.  They compare this added revenue with R&D expenditures and find in most cases the revenue exceeds R&D by a sizable fraction.  The result in most cases is that R&D only accounts for 2/3 to 1/2 of the premium price.  Interestingly, European pharma does the same thing, charging a premium in the US that more than covers their R&D.  

https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/hblog20170307.059036/full/

 

European pharma is just the same as US pharma, they will charge as much for their products as the market can stand. I imagine that the US market makes that very easy for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jdsample said:

I'm not so sure.  Do you add up the taxes you pay on gasoline, internet, state & local taxes?  How about sales taxes and property taxes?  And then there are all the taxes you pay that are impossible to see.  Sure, your Taco Bell receipt lists the sales tax, but how much corporate tax is built into the price of the burrito?  And that is true of literally everything you buy from automobiles to haircuts.  I've never tried to do the math, but it would be interesting.  

You all do realize how the game is rigged don't you?

A story; When I was growing up in NJ, my high school graduate Mother was a MASTER record keeper. Every receipt with a tax on it, every Dr visit, every prescription....EVERYTHING went into the ledger and each piece of paper was 'foldered'.

Why you ask....because back in the 60-70's well when you did your federal taxes....EVERY SINGLE ITEM could be deducted....no 'thresholds'..no 'that doesn't counts' like we have now.

I watched my parents labor through the paperwork preparing their taxes and I also noticed that every years fewer and fewer deductions were being allowed....and their taxes of course went up.

So now we have the Trump tax plan....the ultimate in screwing people.

Now, I am going to be very frank....in my given situation....I have nothing to itemize anymore....the great standard deduction for my wife and I ....at the moment...is a windfall. I likely will get back way more money than ever before taking that deduction.

But why should I care or even post.....well because I do worry about the rest of you....how you may or likely are going to get screwed. BTW....how is the GA in MD doing with the extra money ...due to Trump...the state coffers will get...unless the GA does something to minimize the impact on you!

My bet is that the GA is going to softshoe it till the end and they will run out of time....and OHHHHH MY GOD....look at all the money for the lib/dem/progressives to spend on more ahhhhhh projects.

Good luck....suckers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

European pharma is just the same as US pharma, they will charge as much for their products as the market can stand. I imagine that the US market makes that very easy for them.

I think you are spot on.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jdsample said:

I think you are spot on.  

 

45 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

European pharma is just the same as US pharma, they will charge as much for their products as the market can stand. I imagine that the US market makes that very easy for them.

And I am guessing that your reps are not like our reps ....which happen to be in the pocket/payroll of big pharma?

Hmmmmm who was that secretary of sometihng that was selling off stocks prior to some big deal that would have affected his stocks?

Sorry....I have given up trying to keep track of the names and places and BS that is going on in DC. Pretty bad when MSNBC has to reduce the size of the fonts on the lists of all the Trump appointees that have bailed or dismissed.

Yup drain the swamp an replace it with the Love Canal....much better. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2018 at 6:17 PM, EgyptKang said:

It matters to republicans.

I never realized you were a Republican.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Once again, the OP's thread title has been proven false.

"Mostly false".

However, that still doesn't let your big pharma off the hook for grossly overpricing their products.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

"Mostly false".

However, that still doesn't let your big pharma off the hook for grossly overpricing their products.

Completely false. A lie. The woman didn't die because she couldn't afford Tamiflu. 

Edited by Sprightly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sprightly said:

Completely false. A lie. The woman didn't die because she couldn't afford Tamiflu. 

Argue with Snopes, not me, They say that it is "Mostly False". :mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

Argue with Snopes, not me, They say that it is "Mostly False". :mellow:

If its mostly false, which part isn't ..??

Snopes doesn't say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

If its mostly false, which part isn't ..??

Snopes doesn't say.

Ask them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WKDWZD said:

Ask them.

How about if they put it in their link. They said it, they need to prove it.

Did you see it in the link ..??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stevez51 said:

How about if they put it in their link. They said it, they need to prove it.

Did you see it in the link ..??

The title of this thread is a lie. The woman did not die because she couldn't afford the vaccination. Period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, blowboatbethesda said:

The title of this thread is a lie. The woman did not die because she couldn't afford the vaccination. Period.

I understand that, just Snopes saying mostly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

How about if they put it in their link. They said it, they need to prove it.

Did you see it in the link ..??

The link supplied by blowboatbethesda states "Mostly False". I did not write that report, I'm nerely reporting their conclusion.

If I'd written the report I'd have said that she wouldn't,  not couldn't, afford it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stevez51 said:

I understand that, just Snopes saying mostly.

She did unfortunately die.  That part is true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, blowboatbethesda said:

She did unfortunately die.  That part is true. 

The only thing I could get out of it was it said drugs cost too much. So maybe that's the part of the not mostly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevez51 said:

How about if they put it in their link. They said it, they need to prove it.

Did you see it in the link ..??

At a guess, they regard the part about medications costing far more here than in a lot of other countries, chiefly because of gouging, to be both true and relevant. The fact that Holland actually could afford the medication, but chose not to, does not mean there are not people who literally cannot afford the medication. If the medication is overpriced chiefly to benefit the bottom line of the maker (increasingly the case), that's a legitimate concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

At a guess, they regard the part about medications costing far more here than in a lot of other countries, chiefly because of gouging, to be both true and relevant. The fact that Holland actually could afford the medication, but chose not to, does not mean there are not people who literally cannot afford the medication. If the medication is overpriced chiefly to benefit the bottom line of the maker (increasingly the case), that's a legitimate concern.

It means that that the thread title and content of the story is a lie. 

Find a true story about a person unable to afford Tamiflu resulting in the person's death.

 

Edited by Sprightly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0