Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PinkFlamingo

New bay bridge plans

77 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Ok fair enough.....as I said 'thoughts'.

So how about a high speed train as suggested? Opppsssss wait a minute....how about a car train....sometime back the railroads experimented with loading you car on the train...shipped you and the car to the destination...you get off life is good?

Within the little state of MD?? Not necessary.

What the state needs is a new bridge with 4 lanes (+ other bridge = 6) in each direction. It’s not a long mileage trip to the ocean, it’s the tieups at the bridges that make it seem long. 

1 hour ago, jonsensback said:

Why would anyone move to Kent county, Queene or even Talbot if you knew a new bridge was on it's way to make your eastern shore home a BelAir, Glenn Burnie or Westminster traffic snarled "burbie".

Hope they never build a new bridge in my lifetime.

Truthfully I don’t have a dog in that fight. I just think Maryland has better things to spend billions on than a bridge that’s only crowd four months a year when the bridge we currently have already serves that purpose. Just my two cents. 

2 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Truthfully I don’t have a dog in that fight. I just think Maryland has better things to spend billions on than a bridge that’s only crowd four months a year when the bridge we currently have already serves that purpose. Just my two cents. 

I don't either really.

We don't use the bay bridge to get to the beach anyway so it's not an issue.

But I would hate to see the eastern shore go the way of the "Big box Stores" and other trappings that follow when more residents move in.  Which what would follow if we built another bridge. 

1 hour ago, jonsensback said:

Why would anyone move to Kent county, Queene or even Talbot if you knew a new bridge was on it's way to make your eastern shore home a BelAir, Glenn Burnie or Westminster traffic snarled "burbie".

Hope they never build a new bridge in my lifetime.

I used to work with a couple people that lived on the Eastern Shore yet commuted to Baltimore each day.  Cheaper living definitely isn't worth 90-120 min one way each day.

2 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

I used to work with a couple people that lived on the Eastern Shore yet commuted to Baltimore each day.  Cheaper living definitely isn't worth 90-120 min one way each day.

People do it though. I work with people who commute from Pa. to Woodlawn every day because houses are cheaper in Hanover, York, etc. From York you’re talking about the nightmare that is 83 onto the bigger nightmare that’s 695. You couldn’t pay me to do that commute every day. 

6 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

I have to and still do. Not sure if it's the cheaper living or rural setting that makes one do that commute.

Probably a bit of both. And I bet they would answer NO to a new bridge.

3 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

People do it though. I work with people who commute from Pa. to Woodlawn every day because houses are cheaper in Hanover, York, etc. From York you’re talking about the nightmare that is 83 onto the bigger nightmare that’s 695. You couldn’t pay me to do that commute every day. 

Same. Some people's commutes are insane. I knew this one woman who used to commute from Richmond to downtown. 

25 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Ohhhh my...thank you Ivan....for feeling sorry for me. As you know I live in Woodlawn and when I worked for WANG/Digital/Compaq and HP I had to commute to Seven Corners, Rosslyn, McClain and Greenbelt over the years. When I left HP my commute had gone from when I started (80's) went from on average to about 35 minutes to about 90 on a good day (2015).

And I did it because ....as you said....cheaper living.....but unlike those that live in the woods in PA or those on the eastern shore.....my 'view' ....well kinda sucked when I got home. :D

Hmmm ...maybe I should have taken MDOT buses....ohhhhh pooop they don't go to those places. :lol: But I did use MARC and the DC metro...when it got me to my job.....still was over an hour or so on a good day.

Edited by Guido2

Being a (north) Baltimorean, I'd love to see them put a bridge from Eastern Baltimore County over to Kent County. Lots of Kent Co folks would hate it for making their county a Baltimore suburb, but others would be quite happy to cash in on the sky-rocketing property values.

But at the cost of $7 billion (and almost certain to go over that amount)? I'd vote no if they put the issue on the ballot.

Had a thought many years ago in the 70's when I was flying that a service with a couple old DC-3's could run a Shuttle between Martin State and the OC Airport in under an hour. If I recall my own aerial navigation OC is only about 90 air miles from Baltimore. Only really have to fly in the daytime. Nice easy VFR flights. They could make the trip easily in less than an hour and could go back & forth at least 3 -4 trips before needing to refuel. Probably could take 30 people a trip. You could have had Hourly flights to and from OC easily with just 2 of them.  Nice low altitude cruise at maybe 5-6000 feet. Good Sightseeing! Unfortunately with today's Security rules it probably wouldn't be feasible. It was just a Dream that IF I had Big Bucks then.... What would people pay for that?

Edited by Bartman

11 hours ago, Bartman said:

Had a thought many years ago in the 70's when I was flying that a service with a couple old DC-3's could run a Shuttle between Martin State and the OC Airport in under an hour. If I recall my own aerial navigation OC is only about 90 air miles from Baltimore. Only really have to fly in the daytime. Nice easy VFR flights. They could make the trip easily in less than an hour and could go back & forth at least 3 -4 trips before needing to refuel. Probably could take 30 people a trip. You could have had Hourly flights to and from OC easily with just 2 of them.  Nice low altitude cruise at maybe 5-6000 feet. Good Sightseeing! Unfortunately with today's Security rules it probably wouldn't be feasible. It was just a Dream that IF I had Big Bucks then.... What would people pay for that?

No.

It would be expensive, and with security, boarding, de-boarding, waiting for baggage, ground transportation, etc... it would still take as long, or longer, to fly to OC than it would be to drive.

Plus, you'd have no car in OC while staying there. Yeah there's a bus and whatnot but people still drive everywhere in OC, even when they shouldn't.

11 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I like a Calvert to Dorchester route.

That's where a ferry would actually make sense.

Just now, Pickle20 said:

That's where a ferry would actually make sense.

A ferry of any kind would be ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Why?

15 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I like a Calvert to Dorchester route.

I like that one too.  That route would take most of the DC and Virginia traffic.  

A new bridge of any kind would be ridiculous. Wow, that was easy. Seriously, not      going    to      happen.

23 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Why?

How much do you think people would be willing to pay to shave an hour off their travel time to the Eastern Shore? What do you think it would actually cost per vehicle? How many ferries...certainly not just one, there’d have to be at least two. 

26 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

How much do you think people would be willing to pay to shave an hour off their travel time to the Eastern Shore? What do you think it would actually cost per vehicle? How many ferries...certainly not just one, there’d have to be at least two. 

It's more than an hour from southern MD, and with traffic it would be MUCH more.

Two ferries should do it, but one could work if it can stick to timetables, like they do in Europe.

The cost wouldn't have to be exorbitant. How much is the Lewes - Cape May ferry? And that's a much longer distance.

How come they haven't just replaced White's Ferry with a bridge? Sometimes ferries can work.

Plus a boat ride is always fun.

Edited by Pickle20

59 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

It's more than an hour from southern MD, and with traffic it would be MUCH more.

Two ferries should do it, but one could work if it can stick to timetables, like they do in Europe.

The cost wouldn't have to be exorbitant. How much is the Lewes - Cape May ferry? And that's a much longer distance.

How come they haven't just replaced White's Ferry with a bridge? Sometimes ferries can work.

Plus a boat ride is always fun.

I think I said that earlier. ;)

Hey as I said....try it..at the very least if it is a nothing burger....well...make sure the loading docks etc get turned over to the state DNR or are designed in such a way that they could be some private marina....hey maybe condo's also.

It's a longer distance than I originally thought. Any Southern MD ferry to the eastern shore would be a crossing of around 25-30 miles. Best case scenario would be an hour to cross the bay, not including loading/unloading times. If they could make it 90 mins from the time you board to the time you drive off the ferry, it could be doable and still save someone time instead of driving all the way to the bay bridge and crossing over there.

Edited by Pickle20

2 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Ohhhh poooo.....you just afraid of water.

KIDDING

Just now, Guido2 said:

Ohhhh poooo.....you just afraid of water.

KIDDING

Not likely. May-Sept I am a mermaid. B)

15 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

It's a longer distance than I originally thought. Any Southern MD ferry to the eastern shore would be a crossing of around 25-30 miles. Best case scenario would be an hour to cross the bay, not including loading/unloading times. If they could make it 90 mins from the time you board to the time you drive off the ferry, it could be doable and still save someone time instead of driving all the way to the bay bridge and crossing over there.

Simple questions....

What is the 'wait time' to get to across the bridge on a busy day?

Would that be reduced if there was a spread out alternate ferry(s) if people used them.

Would one rather sit in a car waiting in line to pay a toll ....or be floating across the bay....having a quality time period with the family.