Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cowboyz

Reveal: Obamas official portraits

71 posts in this topic

It looks like Alfred E Newman and Serena Williams got new portraits ......

The paintings are being described as "unconventional portraits" which is certainly accurate.

BHO's portrait is a good likeness, but Michelle's looks like an amalgamation of Nancy Pelosi and Kerosene Maxine Waters after a hard night of drinking, grey with fatigue.

BUT -- if that is the way Michelle wants future generations to think she looked, it's her picture, her choice.

4 minutes ago, retired said:

The paintings are being described as "unconventional portraits" which is certainly accurate.

BHO's portrait is a good likeness, but Michelle's looks like an amalgamation of Nancy Pelosi and Kerosene Maxine Waters after a hard night of drinking, grey with fatigue.

BUT -- if that is the way Michelle wants future generations to think she looked, it's her picture, her choice.

True, I hadn't thought of it that way.  She did have the final approval. 

She's much prettier than depicted in this painting, the dress is just so distracting. 

This is how they will be forever displayed. Not meant to be taken seriously I guess. 

Everybody's a critic!

In 1954, Graham Sutherland, one of Britain's best-known painters, did a portrait of Winston Churchill. He hated the picture and his wife reportedly destroyed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutherland's_Portrait_of_Winston_Churchill

To a certain school of art Michelle's picture is a thing of beauty, but maybe in the future she will decide that a more traditional representation of herself would be preferable. Let's hope so; she's a good looking woman but you'd never know it from that picture.

Anyone know how much the pictures cost?

2 hours ago, Cowboyz said:

True, I hadn't thought of it that way.  She did have the final approval. 

She's much prettier than depicted in this painting, the dress is just so distracting. 

This is how they will be forever displayed. Not meant to be taken seriously I guess. 

I read somewhere (sorry, I forget where) that these are 2 of 4. There’s two more coming. 

20 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

I read somewhere (sorry, I forget where) that these are 2 of 4. There’s two more coming. 

Oh good, I can hardly wait to see what is next! 

But both artists have stressed the importance of creating portraiture of African Americans that will reconfigure the canon and the museum in more inclusive ways. Dorothy Moss, curator of painting and sculpture at the National Portrait Gallery, remembers seeing Sherald engage with young African American girls at a gallery talk. “She bent down and looked at them and said, ‘I painted this for you so that when you go to a museum you will see someone who looks like you on the wall.’ ” Wiley, too, has focused throughout his career on inserting black faces and figures into the traditional context of elite, aristocratic portraiture, although with ambiguous results: It is never clear whether the goal is to remedy the omission, or destabilize the tradition.

The two portraits render their subjects life-size, which underscores their historical importance and accomplishments. Although the artists worked independently of each other, and their works aren’t meant to be seen side by side (they will reside in different galleries when they go on view), they make a curious pairing. Both capture elements that their subjects carefully curated during their public life as president and first lady. A swelling vein on the left side of the president’s face, and the intensity of his gaze, suggest the “doesn’t suffer fools gladly” impatience that occasionally flashed from him, a marked contrast with the smiling and laughing photographic portraits by Chuck Close that have until now stood in for the official portrait in the “America’s Presidents” exhibition.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/museums/obamas-portraits-unveiled-for-americans-presidents-exhibition/2018/02/12/d9f3691a-1000-11e8-8ea1-c1d91fcec3fe_story.html?utm_term=.245b2dd2d318

What I know about art is limited to Mad Magazine covers and such, but I think it's a breath of fresh air...something different!  They picked the artists themselves...who am I to question their choice.  It's like music, movies, food...whatever-subjective.

On 2/12/2018 at 10:13 AM, naive said:

The artist that painted the portrait of Mrs. Obama is from Baltimore.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/23/arts/design/amy-sherald-michelle-obama-official-portrait.html

A nice payday for her.

I'm glad she decided not to put her trademark of holding up the head of a decapitated white woman in it.  But who was she painting?  No one I recognize.  Maybe Michele was too busy to sit for the artist and hired a stunt double?

8 minutes ago, jdsample said:

I'm glad she decided not to put her trademark of holding up the head of a decapitated white woman in it.  But who was she painting?  No one I recognize.  Maybe Michele was too busy to sit for the artist and hired a stunt double?

Wrong artist.

7 minutes ago, jdsample said:

That was president Obama's painter.  Kehinde Wiley... and while not his trademark per se... very strange. 

Yikes....it’s going to look like Mitt Romney’s grandkid hanging up in with the others in the Smithsonian....I can just hear Mewissa Pewwy Hawwis singing which one of these is not like the others....where is that moron these days any way?  

Edited by RileyMartin

14 minutes ago, hst2 said:

They don't remind one of those cute little girls with the wide eyes, that's for sure.

Is that from the Ru Paul collection...scary.

13 hours ago, hst2 said:

They don't remind one of those cute little girls with the wide eyes, that's for sure.

Do you have them in separate rooms or together in the man cave? > ;) <