Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoyinMudville

Ceding Leadership: Trump Wants to Bail Out of International Space Station

33 posts in this topic

It's going to take decades to undo the damage that this moron and his minions are doing to America's role in the world.

The Trump administration wants to turn the International Space Station into a kind of orbiting real estate venture run not by the government, but by private industry.

The White House plans to stop funding the station after 2024, ending direct federal support of the orbiting laboratory. But it does not intend to abandon the orbiting laboratory altogether and is working on a transition plan that could turn the station over to the private sector, according to an internal NASA document obtained by The Washington Post.

The plan to privatize the station is likely to run into a wall of opposition, especially because the United States has spent nearly $100 billion to build and operate it. Last week, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) said he hoped recent reports of NASA’s decision to end funding of the station “prove as unfounded as Bigfoot.” He said the decision was the result of “numskulls” at the Office of Management and Budget.

“As a fiscal conservative, you know one of the dumbest things you can to is cancel programs after billions in investment when there is still serious usable life ahead,” he said.

“The ISS is built for science and human exploration, it’s not built for profit seeking,” said Andrew Rush, the chief executive of Made In Space, a company that uses 3-D printing to manufacture objects on the space station.

Frank Slazer, the vice president of space systems for the Aerospace Industries Association, said the plan also could prove sticky with the station’s international partners.

“It will be very hard to turn ISS into a truly commercial outpost because of the international agreements that the United States is involved in,” he said. “It’s inherently always going to be an international construct that requires U.S. government involvement and multinational cooperation.”

I think this idea can most charitably be described as cockamamie.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2018/02/11/the-trump-administration-wants-to-turn-the-international-space-station-into-a-commercially-run-venture/?utm_term=.865a5503ed12

So let me get this straight:

1.  trump pulled out of the Climate change Summit

2. Wants a military parade

3.  Now This....

The only thing left is for him to wear a uniform with fake medals.

8 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

It's going to take decades to undo the damage that this moron and his minions are doing to America's role in the world.

I think this idea can most charitably be described as cockamamie.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2018/02/11/the-trump-administration-wants-to-turn-the-international-space-station-into-a-commercially-run-venture/?utm_term=.865a5503ed12

Since we have no ability to reach the space station due to priorities of earlier administrations it is kind of like selling a time-share in space that we will never visit unless we funnel money into a Russian space Uber.  No one in politics has really been interested in manned space flight since Apollo 13.  So you can't reach the ISS except by way of Kazakstan.  

How much money do you want to send to Putin to pretend we are leaders in space?  

Even Carl Sagan challenged further funding of the space shuttle and the space station. Trump and your hatred of him notwithstanding,  joy and kang, what benefits do you see in continued government funding of the space station?

8 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

So let me get this straight:

1.  trump pulled out of the Climate change Summit

2. Wants a military parade

3.  Now This....

The only thing left is for him to wear a uniform with fake medals.

Oh, there's plenty more damage he can do to the republic in pursuit of his oversize ego-gratification.

BTW, have you noticed he's been real quiet about 'RocketMan' of late...?

1 minute ago, gonzoliberal said:

Oh, there's plenty more damage he can do to the republic in pursuit of his oversize ego-gratification.

BTW, have you noticed he's been real quiet about 'RocketMan' of late...?

Yep. He's too busy trying to emulate him.

12 minutes ago, jdsample said:

How much money do you want to send to Putin to pretend we are leaders in space?  

Um... we actually have been and should continue to be leaders in space as evidenced by Hubble, Voyager, Cassini, and Opportunity. The benefits of our space program have been immeasurable.

20 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

Yep. He's too busy trying to emulate him.

What benefits does the space station provide that we should fund it? Are there more viable avenues of research? Thanks for any response besides "But....Trump."

2 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

Um... we actually have been and should continue to be leaders in space as evidenced by Hubble, Voyager, Cassini, and Opportunity. The benefits of our space program have been immeasurable.

I agree.  But past administrations have allowed us to fall behind and we have no way into space except standing on a dirt road in Kazakstan with our thumb out trying to hitch a ride.  

Putin could just say no, and drive by at any time.  In space we are now his guests.  

1 hour ago, jdsample said:

I agree.  But past administrations have allowed us to fall behind and we have no way into space except standing on a dirt road in Kazakstan with our thumb out trying to hitch a ride.  

Putin could just say no, and drive by at any time.  In space we are now his guests.  

Right, and keeping with modern "Make America Second Rate" Conservativism the answer seems to be throw up our hands and walk away.

Thank god we hand real leadership when the Soviets launched Sputnik and orbited the earth.

6 hours ago, com6063 said:

What benefits does the space station provide that we should fund it? Are there more viable avenues of research? Thanks for any response besides "But....Trump."

I bet a lot of people asked similar questions when explorers left Europe in ships heading west in the 17th century.  

12 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

I bet a lot of people asked similar questions when explorers left Europe in ships heading west in the 17th century.  

Okay, but luckily we have other options these days. As I predicted, there are no alternatives rather than "but....Trump" from the resident haters. As I already stated, Carl Sagan didn't hold much stock in the space station, but I guess that is irrelevant to Trump bashers.

Just now, com6063 said:

Okay, but luckily we have other options these days. As I predicted, there are no alternatives rather than "but....Trump" from the resident haters. As I already stated, Carl Sagan didn't hold much stock in the space station, but I guess that is irrelevant to Trump bashers.

There was no reference to Trump in my post. Your partisan defense of Trump is embarrassing. 

My point was, exploration is never pointless. It may be too expensive at this point in time. We need to have some priorities related to federal spending.

I'd much rather see money going to space exploration than to building a wall on our southern border or cutting taxes for people who don't need tax relief.   

2 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

Right, and keeping with modern "Make America Second Rate" Conservativism the answer seems to be throw up our hands and walk away.

Thank god we hand real leadership when the Soviets launched Sputnik and orbited the earth.

How much social spending are you willing to give up to reestablish a manned space program?  

16 minutes ago, jdsample said:

How much social spending are you willing to give up to reestablish a manned space program?  

How many times are you going to put forward idiotic false choices as some type of absolute?

28 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

There was no reference to Trump in my post. Your partisan defense of Trump is embarrassing. 

My point was, exploration is never pointless. It may be too expensive at this point in time. We need to have some priorities related to federal spending.

I'd much rather see money going to space exploration than to building a wall on our southern border or cutting taxes for people who don't need tax relief.   

I'm glad to see we have common ground. I too would like to see more funding for space exploration.

Recent privately funded successes are promising, but I believe there will be a continued US presence aboard the ISS.

If testing of the Crew Dragon continues positively, perhaps we will see that manned deep space lap around the Moon in a year or so.

Establishing a permanent colony on the Moon is the next real step, and the spectacular success of the Falcon Heavy last week brings those dreams closer to reality.

I'm fine with moving on from the ISS if there's a concrete next step like the moon or something.

13 hours ago, com6063 said:

carl sagan died in 1996...can you outline how his opinions are relevant to current events?

28 minutes ago, Norman said:

carl sagan died in 1996...can you outline how his opinions are relevant to current events?

He made comments about funding, and whether the space station made sense more than other avenues of scientific research. We have already gotten rid of the space shuttle program, so the question is what areas might we pursue which would yield more benefits.

20 hours ago, com6063 said:

Even Carl Sagan challenged further funding of the space shuttle and the space station. Trump and your hatred of him notwithstanding,  joy and kang, what benefits do you see in continued government funding of the space station?

https://www.whatsupaustralia.com.au/threads/carl-sagan-thought-that-the-iss-was-a-waste-of-money.817/

Sagan's criticism of the ISS (and Shuttle Program) is still valid today.

Edited by blowboatbethesda
Fix linky

1 minute ago, com6063 said:

He made comments about funding, and whether the space station made sense more than other avenues of scientific research. We have already gotten rid of the space shuttle program, so the question is what areas might we pursue which would yield more benefits.

....presumably his comments were before his death in 1996.  Why are they relevant now?

9 minutes ago, Norman said:

....presumably his comments were before his death in 1996.  Why are they relevant now?

Because of funding. Sorry, but I"m not sure how much clearer I can make this.

15 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

How many times are you going to put forward idiotic false choices as some type of absolute?

So you now want to bust the budget on a new space program.  I'm open to that, but during the tax debate, the left became deficit hawks, then during the budget debate clamored for more social spending, and now you want to send a whole lot of tax money to NASA.  OK.  

Edited by jdsample