Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Woodbuchr

Stockton CA to give some residents $500 a month with no strings attached

16 posts in this topic

I saw a report on a local news program tonight and checked this out. $500 a month, no strings attached, given to residents. According to what I have read people from Nioxon to Martin Luther King Jr. have supported this and some other countries are trying the idea of Universal Basic Income.

http://time.com/money/5114349/universal-basic-income-stockton/

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/27/news/economy/stockton-universal-basic-income/index.html

This program is basically being paid for by rich people's donations but what happens when they get tired of funding the program? Will taxpayers be expected to just see their taxes given to others with no strings attached just so they can have what the ones paying for the program have?

It's not enough to live on. But combine it with a crap job and it might be enough to keep them off government assistance. Maybe even give them an opportunity to do what the right says they should, and get some skills to get a better job. They'll study it, which might provide some useful data on whether it is a good idea. As an experiment, let's see what happens.

55 minutes ago, Woodbuchr said:

I saw a report on a local news program tonight and checked this out. $500 a month, no strings attached, given to residents. According to what I have read people from Nioxon to Martin Luther King Jr. have supported this and some other countries are trying the idea of Universal Basic Income.

http://time.com/money/5114349/universal-basic-income-stockton/

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/27/news/economy/stockton-universal-basic-income/index.html

This program is basically being paid for by rich people's donations but what happens when they get tired of funding the program? Will taxpayers be expected to just see their taxes given to others with no strings attached just so they can have what the ones paying for the program have?

Trump and the Republicans supported funneling huge sums to the rich and corporations......

Just sayin' 

8 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

It's not enough to live on. But combine it with a crap job and it might be enough to keep them off government assistance. Maybe even give them an opportunity to do what the right says they should, and get some skills to get a better job. They'll study it, which might provide some useful data on whether it is a good idea. As an experiment, let's see what happens.

But Stockton doesn't want to study it, they want to do a feel good campaign.

Rather than a research paper, Stockton is planning a media campaign featuring program participants talking about their experiences. "Alongside the data, we need stories," says Natalie Foster, a co-founder of the Economic Security Project.

You're right. The YCombinator study is taking place in Oakland. My mistake.

2 minutes ago, songfourone said:

Trump and the Republicans supported funneling huge sums to the rich and corporations......

Just sayin' 

What does that have to do with the subject of the thread? And a Republican, Nixon, tested it.

From the CNN link

Republican President Richard Nixon tested UBI in several cities from 1968 to 1971 and found it did not negatively affect work ethic.

Edited by Woodbuchr

23 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Of course it’s a good idea - right up until it isn’t.  The question about what happens when folks decide to stop donating is a valid one.

And why would this take them government assistance?  At $500 per month, it’s $6K a year, a value under the gift level and not susceptible to declaration for income.

I am sure many working people making just above the limit to get this money would be saying "where's mine?". Charity, Helping hand, or a hand up are one thing. Just giving someone money for nothing is another (in other words "no strings attached").

I am merely suggesting that it's worth conducting an experiment. There are a lot of preconceived notions about what will happen. A few of the folks here remind me of Mr. Potter from "It's A Wonderful Life". :)

2 hours ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Of course it’s a good idea - right up until it isn’t.  The question about what happens when folks decide to stop donating is a valid one.

And why would this take them government assistance?  At $500 per month, it’s $6K a year, a value under the gift level and not susceptible to declaration for income.

New phone... new 72" HD flat screen and a tattoo of the former first lady's new portrait out to cover it! 

20 minutes ago, workerbee said:

New phone... new 72" HD flat screen and a tattoo of the former first lady's new portrait out to cover it! 

Interesting wish list you have there. I'm sure I wouldn't spend it on that, but hey, to each his own. 

12 hours ago, soulflower said:

Guaranteed Basic Income is an idea worth experimenting with

I agree, and it is a good sign that all the worst people seem to be the most nervous about it.

9 hours ago, Boobie said:

A great place to bus in all your homeless.

Unless there are stipulations ( prior residency ) the place could fill up.

10 hours ago, workerbee said:

Some will do this, but the majority will not.  This is however, just another version of spending someone else’s money, in this case, literally.  It’s not a fix, it’s a band-aid.  Until we find a way to convince the wealthy that a higher tax rate is appropriate or that profits should be better shared in either higher wages or more jobs, there is never going to be enough revenue to do the things we need to do.

It is a question as old as the first development of a trading medium and we are no closer to the answer today then we were millennia ago.