Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smokey 1

Students want to restrict free speech on campus

55 posts in this topic

I wonder how students can get to college and not understand the Constitution and the ideals of freedom on which it was written?  I learned this stuff in 8th grade.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/some-want-to-restrict-free-speech-on-campus/ar-BBIZllB?ocid=spartandhp

More than 40 percent of students believe that the First Amendment does not protect hate speech, according to a Brookings Institute poll taken of 1,500 students nationwide last year. Almost 20 percent believe that using violence is an acceptable means to stop such speech, the poll found. In all, 53 percent of students — 61 percent Democratic and 47 percent Republican — believe that colleges and universities should prohibit offensive speech, according to the survey.

Pathetic.  College is exactly where they should be open to hearing all ideas and speech.  

Edited by Smokey 1

Agreed, although I question the wisdom of a school's hosting such speakers as white nationalist Richard Spencer and right-wing provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos. Students are owed a speaker who will intellectually challenge them, not stir up their emotions. Its like asking for a violent reaction to speech, not a promotion of it. They're kind of 'cheap' speakers. If this is the best the right-wing can come up with, its a no wonder young people are taking a dim view of free speech.

10 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Agreed, although I question the wisdom of a school's hosting such speakers as white nationalist Richard Spencer and right-wing provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos. Students are owed a speaker who will intellectually challenge them, not stir up their emotions. Its like asking for a violent reaction to speech, not a promotion of it. They're kind of 'cheap' speakers. If this is the best the right-wing can come up with, its a no wonder young people are taking a dim view of free speech.

Your utter contempt for the First Amendment has always been a curiosity. After reading this, it doesn’t get any more naked or contemptuous than this post. 

Sounds like the issue here is interpretation of the Constitution, not what the Constitution says. So who’s really the one trying to shut down others’ speech here?

14 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Sounds like the issue here is interpretation of the Constitution, not what the Constitution says. So who’s really the one trying to shut down others’ speech here?

An interpretation of the Constitution by campus administrators, who are mostly to the left of Lenin, should determine the parameters of free speech? 

31 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

I see it as more of a budgetary matter. On wWhat should schools be spending their money? Not on intellectual lightweights like Richard Spencer and Milo Yiannopoulos.

Let them speak. But the school should make it very clear what they will speak about, posting this prominently. This can be determined from what they have previously spoken about.

Schools could take a page from the FBI's textbook, and photograph each attendee. More than likely they will be photographed for mugshots before too much more time passes, so they could think of that as a preview. :)

17 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Let them speak. But the school should make it very clear what they will speak about, posting this prominently. This can be determined from what they have previously spoken about.

Schools could take a page from the FBI's textbook, and photograph each attendee. More than likely they will be photographed for mugshots before too much more time passes, so they could think of that as a preview. :)

Photograph each attendee who had the utter audacity to attend a speech whose ideas differ from your own? You’re kidding, right? You would have made an exemplary Bolshevik!

10 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

Schools could take a page from the FBI's textbook, and photograph each attendee. More than likely they will be photographed for mugshots before too much more time passes, so they could think of that as a preview.  :)

This is frightening.  I’m hoping the icon is intended to mean you were not serious.

Edited by MiddleOfTheRoad

11 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

This is frightening.  I’m hoping the icon is intended to mean you were not serious.

Don't know for sure, or is this a snipe at the current person in the WH ..???

1 hour ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Based on some of his other statements I believe he is dead serious.  He objects to the First Amendment.

Edited by Smokey 1

Conservatives aren't setting a very good example:

"A controversial award-winning painting that depicts police officers as animals was removed Friday morning from a congressional wall by Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Alpine, following complaints that it was offensive.

Joe Kasper, chief of staff for Hunter, said the congressman personally unscrewed the painting from the wall and delivered it to the office of Rep. William Lacy Clay, D-Missouri, who sponsored the congressional competition won by the painting’s creator."

...Its presence became controversial over the past two weeks when conservative bloggers wrote about it and a Fox News commentator called for its removal."

Link

1 hour ago, hst2 said:

"A controversial award-winning painting that depicts police officers as animals was removed Friday morning from a congressional wall by Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Alpine, following complaints that it was offensive.

Joe Kasper, chief of staff for Hunter, said the congressman personally unscrewed the painting from the wall and delivered it to the office of Rep. William Lacy Clay, D-Missouri, who sponsored the congressional competition won by the painting’s creator."

...Its presence became controversial over the past two weeks when conservative bloggers wrote about it and a Fox News commentator called for its removal."

Link

For the life of me, I never understood why they fought so hard to take that picture down.  Yes, it was insulting, but it was on public property. 

Everyone is pro-First Amendment until they’re faced with Speech they strongly dislike. 

A lot of people think the Westboro Baptist people shouldn’t be protected by the First Amendment 

3 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Everyone is pro-First Amendment until they’re faced with Speech they strongly dislike. 

A lot of people think the Westboro Baptist people shouldn’t be protected by the First Amendment 

Everyone is not a hypocrite.

14 hours ago, volperdinger said:

Your utter contempt for the First Amendment has always been a curiosity. After reading this, it doesn’t get any more naked or contemptuous than this post. 

Then I suggest you can't read for comprehension because the post to which you responded doesn't in any way suggest any contempt for the First Amendment

45 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

Everyone is not a hypocrite.

What about a fellow who insists that a slave state had the right to exist but claims he opposes slavery? Is that not hypocrisy?

2 minutes ago, hst2 said:

What about a fellow who insists that a slave state had the right to exist but claims he opposes slavery? Is that not hypocrisy?

Oh come on hst2 was that really necessary? :lol: 

15 minutes ago, hst2 said:

:lol:

37 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Not at all.  The US had a right to exist even though they had legal slavery which I would have opposed had I lived in that time period.

16 hours ago, hst2 said:

In other words, you agree as long as its speech that you personally agree with.

3 hours ago, hst2 said:

Link

yes, conservatives should  follow  the lead of groups such as antifa

49 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

In other words, you agree as long as its speech that you personally agree with.

Hey, if those clowns want to stand on a soap box and spew their venom all day long, or hang out at Breitbart, its fine with me. I simply question the wisdom of a university paying them to bring their medicine show to their campuses. There must be some thoughtful right-wingers out their they could pay to come speak.