Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kandace

Kansas Professor Arrested By ICE In Front of Family

80 posts in this topic

 

A Kansas professor and father of three who has lived in the United States for three decades was detained by immigration agents and now faces deportation. Syed Ahmed Jamal, who is from Bangladesh, was about to take his daughter to school on Jan. 24 when U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials showed up on his front lawn in Lawrence, a suburb of Kansas City, and arrested him, said his brother, Syed Hussain Jamal. "It wasn't expected. He never expected to have ICE there," said the brother, who lives in Phoenix.  When Jamal's stunned wife tried to hug her husband goodbye, ICE agents stopped her, telling her "that they would arrest her for interference" if she didn't let them take him immediately, the brother, Syed Hussain Jamal, said.  Jamal, 55, is a chemistry instructor who entered the U.S. lawfully on an international student visa in the 1980s, according to a lawyer for the family, Jeffrey Y. Bennett. He has three kids — ages 7, 12, and 14 — all of whom are U.S. citizens, and he has no record, other than a couple speeding tickets that have long been resolved, Bennett said.

The arrest is "very traumatizing for the whole family," Bennett said. Jamal has a "long history" of attempting to get a path to U.S. citizenship, Bennett added. Throughout the years, he had a handful of student visas while pursuing graduate degrees in science and engineering, and then a H-1B visa for highly skilled workers; at the time of his detainment, he had overstayed a voluntary departure notice, but had been granted permission to stay in the U.S. under supervision. The family was aware that there was a slight risk that Jamal, who had been given prosecutorial discretion to indefinitely stay in the U.S. under a policy formalized by then-President Barack Obama, could face deportation. But they never expected it would happen to Jamal, a beloved community member who was involved in his children's school board and was a respected professor of the sciences, the attorney and his brother said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would prefer jail time for those that hire people not Legally available to work  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how exactly we benefit from this gestapo nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Donny is doing a bang up job of ridding our country of these bad hombres. :rolleyes:

MAGA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t understand our immigration  system because this sounds like someone you’d want here and instead we’re throwing him out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

I don’t understand our immigration  system because this sounds like someone you’d want here and instead we’re throwing him out.

Professor Jemal has committed the crime of being smarter and more successful than many of Voldemort’s followers.  That enrages them so he has to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A cruel and stupid policy implemented by a cruel and stupid man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

I don’t understand our immigration  system because this sounds like someone you’d want here and instead we’re throwing him out.

And most Americans agree with you.

The biggest problem right now is the same problem that we've had for more then a decade. The GOP has been taken hostage by a group of extreme whack jobs. This is compounded by something known as the "Hastert Rule", named after former GOP speaker of the house and convicted child molester, Paul Hastert.

Hastert would never allow a bill to come to floor unless he knew it would garner an overwhelming majority of the Republican house caucus. Think about that for a second. He was only interested in legislative solutions that could win on GOP votes alone.

We could solve DACA tomorrow by introducing legislation that could get 130 relatively moderate republican house votes and about 100 moderate democratic votes. But Ryan doesn't have the guts to do that. That's true for just about any issue out there and while it might sound crazy, it is actually the way we used to pass the bulk of the legislation in this country - by assembling floating bi-partisan coalitions based on the issue. That coalition needed to pass civil rights legislation might be different than the coalition needed to fund the military but Speakers had the leadership skills to move forward budgets and key bills and, members understood that, even when they had the majority, they weren't going to agree with their speaker every time. Same was true of the Senate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

I don’t understand our immigration  system because this sounds like someone you’d want here and instead we’re throwing him out.

The Trumpists definitely don't want him here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good work,about time they caught up to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hst2 said:

A cruel and stupid policy implemented by a cruel and stupid man.

what, enforcing existing law as written? Didn't Obama deport more than any other President?And for some reason,Obama seemed to have it in for Central Americans.  Is Obama a cruel and stupid man? Because he had the same thing done  countless times, just with different groups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

since you all seem to think if an illegal manages to stay undetected for  a number of years he/she should be allowed to stay forever and not face deportation,  tell me, I'm curious, what is the ollie ollie all come in  free  number of years?  1, 2, 5, 10?  Why do you have that concept,do we do that with other crimes, say bank robbery?  What about those without families, do they not get the  free pass, since family always seems to be cited as a reason to let them stay? 

Edited by Saticon3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

I don’t understand our immigration  system because this sounds like someone you’d want here and instead we’re throwing him out.

I'd rather have someone here that followed the rules, while he's been here, others no doubt have been waiting following the rules, I guess they should just get a student or tourist visa, come here, stay and make a family and hope they go undetected for a few years and then you'll  let them stay too if its up to you.  Lines and rules are for chumps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

I'd rather have someone here that followed the rules, while he's been here, others no doubt have been waiting following the rules, I guess they should just get a student or tourist visa, come here, stay and make a family and hope they go undetected for a few years and then you'll  let them stay too if its up to you.  Lines and rules are for chumps. 

It sounds like he was here legally for quite some time. In that time he managed to get himself educated, not in some nonsense either, but in science and engineering. And now he’s teaching chemistry. Shouldn’t the process to stay permanently for someone like him be made nice and easy? Instead it seems to have been difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoyinMudville said:

This is compounded by something known as the "Hastert Rule", named after former GOP speaker of the house and convicted child molester, Paul Hastert.

Not sure who "Paul" Hastert is, perhaps you are thinking of for GOP Speaker Dennis Hastert?

And to be sure, Dennis Hastert molested children, but he was never convicted of (nor ever charged with) any sexual related charges.  He was convicted of hiding money by structuring payments under the $10,000 reporting threshold, and for lying to federal investigators.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

It sounds like he was here legally for quite some time. In that time he managed to get himself educated, not in some nonsense either, but in science and engineering. And now he’s teaching chemistry. Shouldn’t the process to stay permanently for someone like him be made nice and easy? Instead it seems to have been difficult.

Agreed.

But to the right, he was the wrong color. So it's Vere are ze paperz for him.

Edited by Calamari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Saticon3 said:

Good work,about time they caught up to him.

What do you mean caught up to him? He's been in touch with INS the whole time he's been here. Dude what the hell happened to you?

Edited by bmore_ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Saticon3 said:

what, enforcing existing law as written? Didn't Obama deport more than any other President?And for some reason,Obama seemed to have it in for Central Americans.  Is Obama a cruel and stupid man? Because he had the same thing done  countless times, just with different groups.

Dems love to brag Obama deported the most illegal people, now they complain when a Republican deports illegals.....lol.....you can't make this ship up.

Edited by Boobie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Boobie said:

Dems love to brag Obama deported the most illegal people, now they complain when a Republican deports illegals.....lol.....you can't make this ship up.

In this, and many other cases like it, Obama did not have ICE deport, and for obviously good reasons, and Trump chose to deport, for no good reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Calamari said:

Not sure how exactly we benefit from this gestapo nonsense.

It's done as a smoke screen to appease his base. This way it deflects from the fact that he knew porter was a wife beater from the very beginning among other things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hst2 said:

In this, and many other cases like it, Obama did not have ICE deport, and for obviously good reasons, and Trump chose to deport, for no good reason.

I agree, Obama discriminated as to which immigration laws he enforced. As President he should enforce the law or work toward changing it, he did neither.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

It's done as a smoke screen to appease his base. This way it deflects from the fact that he knew porter was a wife beater from the very beginning among other things.

For sure ......

You keep up with them conspiracies ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kandace said:

Professor Jemal has committed the crime of being smarter and more successful than many of Voldemort’s followers.  That enrages them so he has to go.

If he was so smart.  He probably should have continued to get his paperwork done. 

From the link

In a statement, ICE said that he had overstayed a temporary visa in the past and disobeyed a judge's order to leave the country.

The family was aware that there was a slight risk that Jamal, who had been given prosecutorial discretion to indefinitely stay in the U.S. under a policy formalized by then-President Barack Obama, could face deportation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

If he was so smart.  He probably should have continued to get his paperwork done. 

From the link

In a statement, ICE said that he had overstayed a temporary visa in the past and disobeyed a judge's order to leave the country.

The family was aware that there was a slight risk that Jamal, who had been given prosecutorial discretion to indefinitely stay in the U.S. under a policy formalized by then-President Barack Obama, could face deportation. 

you're missing part of the quote

," but had been granted permission to stay in the U.S. under supervision." 

Typical Trumper conveniently leaving out facts

Edited by bmore_ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This professor has an advanced degree and has a career. Shouldn’t that “merit” him staying in the US?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0