Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cowboyz

Olympics

32 posts in this topic

I've tried to tune in a few times, I just can't get into it this year.  

Have the Olympics lost their excitement? I used to look forward to the Olympics, now I have no interest.  My sister and I were talking last night about how exciting it used to be, we would watch as a family and it was always celebrated. Not anymore and it seems to lose a little more each time. 

Could it be that politics are ruining it? Is it the scandals?

Anyone watching?  

On a side note, I miss Wide World of Sports... the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat! 

I've been watching some events, but I definitely like the Summer games better.

17 minutes ago, Cowboyz said:

Have the Olympics lost their excitement? I used to look forward to the Olympics, now I have no interest.  My sister and I were talking last night about how exciting it used to be, we would watch as a family and it was always celebrated. Not anymore and it seems to lose a little more each time. 

Anyone watching?  

On a side note, I miss Wide World of Sports... the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat! 

It’s become too political and, yes too scandalous. I still cannot understand why they chose S Korea...a scant 50mi from crazy N Korea.

20 minutes ago, Cowboyz said:

Anyone watching?  

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like this year there hasn't been nearly the amount of build-up to the Olympics as usual.  It could also be that the only place we would see that is on network television and thanks to satellite, cable, netflix, hulu, firestick, roku, etc. people simply don't watch all that much network tv anymore so any hype that is generated is missed.

I agree with you on Wild World of Sports.  Problem is that these days all the stuff we used to watch on that program now requires paying $50-$80 for a PPV

1 minute ago, PinkFlamingo said:

It’s become too political and, yes too scandalous. I still cannot understand why they chose S Korea...a scant 50mi from crazy N Korea.

Because S Korea is a wonderful place and they shouldn't be denied hosting the Olympics just because their neighbors to the north have a psychopath as a leader.... just my opinion of course.

1 hour ago, ivanbalt said:

Overall, I like summer better as well but I have no interest at all this time around. Kind of a bummer. 

1 hour ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Being that close to North Korea is a bit unnerving but so far, so good. When the selection was made, it didn't seem as bad as it has been in the last couple of years. 

1 hour ago, banner1124 said:

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like this year there hasn't been nearly the amount of build-up to the Olympics as usual.  It could also be that the only place we would see that is on network television and thanks to satellite, cable, netflix, hulu, firestick, roku, etc. people simply don't watch all that much network tv anymore so any hype that is generated is missed.

I agree with you on Wild World of Sports.  Problem is that these days all the stuff we used to watch on that program now requires paying $50-$80 for a PPV

Agreed, it does not seem like as much build up as in the past and there isn't as much talk about it either. 

Yeah.... PPV sucks! Lol... 

Generally speaking, same with me....however I love all the snow sports.  They've been pretty exciting so far.  Heck, two 17 year old Americans getting gold on those newfangled board things was very cool!  There are actually some young new faces in the figure skating if one is into that stuff.  Waiting for the downhill to ramp up!  I think it's been great so far overall.

2 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

I'm not sure many countries are interested in hosting the Olympics.

I am so used to watching team sports where contrasting strategies in sports I am familiar with can be evaluated. Individual efforts just seem repetitive to me. My fault, I know; but it is what it is.

1 hour ago, hst2 said:

I'm not sure many countries are interested in hosting the Olympics.

Be honest, think about it, how many  countries really can? Snow is really quite sine qua non. ;)

Edited by WKDWZD

3 hours ago, Norman said:

Generally speaking, same with me....however I love all the snow sports.  They've been pretty exciting so far.  Heck, two 17 year old Americans getting gold on those newfangled board things was very cool!  There are actually some young new faces in the figure skating if one is into that stuff.  Waiting for the downhill to ramp up!  I think it's been great so far overall.

Curling is probably my favorite.

1 minute ago, ivanbalt said:

I could never get along with those tongs ... :lol:

44 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

If they can have curling as a winter sport, they need to add shuffleboard for summer. But make it the bar kind.

Used to like watching "the Thrill of Victory and the Agony of Defeat" long ago but don't really care anymore. Mainly liked Bobsled & Ski Jumping I guess waiting for the Crashes. Now they have all this Snowboard stuff for the Kids. I don't care about that stuff. Curling? Seriously? Some European folk must've thought that up in Medieval times when there was nothing else to do on a frozen lake in the dead of winter there. As far as the Summer games, Nah! As they wrote in MAD magazine forever ago, they're "Amateur" sports, "There is no such thing as Professional Running around the Block!".

I would like to see the Summer Games have a Frisbee Pentathlon.

Ultimate, Guts, Disc Golf, Freestyle, and Freestyle with dogs.

5 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Yay Shaun White!!!! He’s Superman!!

:) :)

Quite a 3rd run!

i like the Winter Games better than Summer. Maybe because other than sledding as a boy, I have no experience with the winter sports so they have an aura of mystique about them. Especially the downhill (my favorite) and women’s figure skating. Yeah, that’s right. Women’s figure skating. Got an issue with that? :P 

23 minutes ago, mlatoman said:

Quite a 3rd run!

i like the Winter Games better than Summer. Maybe because other than sledding as a boy, I have no experience with the winter sports so they have an aura of mystique about them. Especially the downhill (my favorite) and women’s figure skating. Yeah, that’s right. Women’s figure skating. Got an issue with that? :P 

I'm with you on that

13 hours ago, stevez51 said:

If they can have curling as a winter sport, they need to add shuffleboard for summer. But make it the bar kind.

You need to be presenting these excellent ideas to the IOC.

You need to be presenting these excellent ideas to the IOC.

Maybe I will. Will you join me ..??

36 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Maybe I will. Will you join me ..??

You have my vote.  Bar shuffleboard is great.

18 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

You have my vote.  Bar shuffleboard is great.

Great, its got to be better than synchronized swimming .....