Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
naive

The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act

68 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, naive said:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/38

Just what this country needs! I always thought living in the wild wild west would be cool.  The guns everywhere bill, as they call it.

If there was already a thread on this, I apologize.

I must be reading this differently than you. How will the reciprocity result in guns everywhere?

14 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

I must be reading this differently than you. How will the reciprocity result in guns everywhere?

It doesn't, but this is the scary part

Additionally, the bill specifies that a qualified individual who lawfully carries or possesses a concealed handgun in another state: (1) is not subject to the federal prohibition on possessing a firearm in a school zone, and (2) may carry or possess the concealed handgun in federally owned lands that are open to the public.

That means any nut from Arizona or Texas can walk into a school or national park and open fire in any state he or she chooses. Hopefully it fails.  

Edited by bmore_ken

9 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

It totally undermines every states gun law(s), in regards to carrying a concealed weapon. Thus, guns everywhere. Any yahoo in states with soft gun laws, like Arizona, can carry that weapon anywhere he goes. A nightmare in the making.

4 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

It doesn't, but this is the scary part

That means any nut from Arizona or Texas can walk into a school or national park and open fire in any state he or she chooses. Hopefully it fails.  

Sadly, It looks like it is going to pass, and Trump has his pen in hand.

Edited by naive

3 minutes ago, naive said:

It totally undermines every states gun law(s), in regards to carrying a concealed weapon. Thus, guns everywhere. Any yahoo in states with soft gun laws, like Arizona, can carry that weapon anywhere he goes. A nightmare in the making.

No, you are reading it wrong.  It allows someone who has been issued a permit in their home state to carry the gun in another state.  While in the other state, they still have to follow the same rules and regulations imposed on those who are licensed by that state. 

So if a person from PA has a PA gun permit, they can carry it in Maryland but still must follow all the Maryland laws just as any other Maryland permit holder.  

6 minutes ago, Ibrihim said:

No, you are reading it wrong.  It allows someone who has been issued a permit in their home state to carry the gun in another state.  While in the other state, they still have to follow the same rules and regulations imposed on those who are licensed by that state. 

So if a person from PA has a PA gun permit, they can carry it in Maryland but still must follow all the Maryland laws just as any other Maryland permit holder.  

So federal law allows it but the holder must adhere to the individual state laws. Sounds simple enough.

16 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

That means any nut from Arizona or Texas can walk into a school or national park and open fire in any state he or she chooses.  

Criminal acts are still punishable regardless of whether this law passes or not. 

No one can walk into a school and open fire because of this law,

To me, it's not really worth getting upset about, there are much bigger things that will affect all of us a lot more.  Worrying whether some lady from PA with a legal 38 in her purse accidentally drives into NJ and now faces 10 years in jail for crossing an imaginary line is not high on my list.

7 minutes ago, Ibrihim said:

Criminal acts are still punishable regardless of whether this law passes or not. 

Yup , punishable after people die

Just now, bmore_ken said:

Just as they are today, before the law is in effect.

I don't see your point on how this law will change that.

I would imagine the gun runners in the country are happy getting the feds off of their arses.

2 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Well, then we can pray and our thoughts can be with the victims. 

Fair enough.

5 minutes ago, naive said:

I would imagine the gun runners in the country are happy getting the feds off of their arses.

You truly are naive. Do you honestly think for one minute that your boogie man "gun runners" are worried about any law, federal, state, or local?

Thank God we have the right to own guns in this great nation of ours!

17 minutes ago, Woodbuchr said:

You truly are naive. Do you honestly think for one minute that your boogie man "gun runners" are worried about any law, federal, state, or local?

Nope, not at all. Most of them have purchased the guns legally, and now they will have a green light to transport them anywhere they wish. This bill takes some of the heat off.

13 states allow their residents to conceal carry without a permit or any other legal barrier in their states.

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017

This bill amends the federal criminal code to allow a qualified individual to carry a concealed handgun into or possess a concealed handgun in another state that allows individuals to carry concealed firearms.

A qualified individual must: (1) be eligible to possess, transport, or receive a firearm under federal law; (2) carry a valid photo identification document; and (3) carry a valid concealed carry permit issued by any state or be eligible to carry a concealed firearm in his or her state of residence.

Additionally, the bill specifies that a qualified individual who lawfully carries or possesses a concealed handgun in another state: (1) is not subject to the federal prohibition on possessing a firearm in a school zone, and (2) may carry or possess the concealed handgun in federally owned lands that are open to the public.

So not only are all state's laws preempted by the least restrictive of state laws but any non-felon 21 year old or older yahoo from Mississippi can roll into any state with a concealed handgun. Not even the most basic of standard like "can you get the magazine in the weapon without negligently discharging a round" can be applied.

Pretty messed up from a "state's rights" standpoint, but these are the same people who want to be able to preempt state laws on health care insurance with Alabama's with federal force.

4 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Most criminal acts have to, you know, actually occur before punishment can be initiated.

I guess I am wondering if this will change anything.  A nut case bent on murdering is not going to be overly concerned with breaking a law about concealed carry.

4 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Most criminal acts have to, you know, actually occur before punishment can be initiated.

I guess I am wondering if this will change anything.  A nut case bent on murdering is not going to be overly concerned with breaking a law about concealed carry.

I don't disagree, but why make it easier?

Never fear, Marxists. Even though there’s majority support in Congress and the President will sign it, Mitch McConnel is allowing Senate Democrats to filibuster, which essentially ends any hope of this becoming reality. 

States like Arizona, Florida, Georgia, etc. will simply add a little handgun symbol to your license to let the officer know you’re carrying, but it’s cool. Much like the little heart symbols for organ donors. Streamlines the process.

5 minutes ago, naive said:

States like Arizona, Florida, Georgia, etc. will simply add a little handgun symbol to your license to let the officer know you’re carrying, but it’s cool. Much like the little heart symbols for organ donors. Streamlines the process.

Why would someone from Arizona need such a thing if their state law preempts other state laws in requiring no permit or any government involvement at all?

35 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

I don't disagree, but why make it easier?

I’m not sure it even makes it easier, bmore_ken.  People intent on killing would not be deterred by the presence or absence of a concealed carry law.

4 minutes ago, bmorepunk said:

Why would someone from Arizona need such a thing if their state law preempts other state laws in requiring no permit or any government involvement at all?

Helps if they get pulled over in other states. Police would quickly know you’re licensed to carry, and federal law would allow you to carry everywhere, so it would streamline the process of getting pulled over in the first place. 

1 minute ago, naive said:

Helps if they get pulled over in other states. Police would quickly know you’re licensed to carry, and federal law would allow you to carry everywhere, so it would streamline the process of getting pulled over in the first place. 

You wouldn't have to be licensed to carry. You don't have to be in Arizona. Under this legislation, Arizona and 12 other states preempt other states' laws. All they have to have is a photo ID, be over 21, and not be restricted from owning firearms.

49 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Yes.  But many states/cities have stronger gun laws.  They don’t want some unregulated backwater to send their citizens up armed.