Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PinkFlamingo

Klein’s ShopRite offering free Narcan

93 posts in this topic

I think it is great that they are doing that.

But don't cha think that there is something wrong with this picture?

So, how do you get people on board with getting clean if they can get free Narcan?  Kind of takes the worry away.  

1 minute ago, Cowboyz said:

So, how do you get people on board with getting clean if they can get free Narcan?  Kind of takes the worry away.  

Harford Co is in the throes of a terrible opioid/heroin problem. I guess if you have a friend or family member with an addiction problem, who may overdose, this is some piece of mind that you could save their life if it comes to that. 

It’s insurance. For parents, friends...those who can’t save the loved one from the drugs, but may be able to save them from dying. 

14 minutes ago, Cowboyz said:

Narcan is for people to administer it to a person overdosing. I don't think someone in the middle of overdosing can treat themselves. :)

Edited by Sprightly

28 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

I think it is great that they are doing that.

But don't cha think that there is something wrong with this picture?

What's wrong with the picture?

Just now, Sprightly said:

What's wrong with the picture?

You find nothing odd about a grocery store giving away Narcan....that things are getting so bad that they have to hand out this stuff like plastic bags?

When does it stop?

4 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

You find nothing odd about a grocery store giving away Narcan....that things are getting so bad that they have to hand out this stuff like plastic bags?

When does it stop?

When people stop dying in the streets from overdosing.

11 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Harford Co is in the throes of a terrible opioid/heroin problem. I guess if you have a friend or family member with an addiction problem, who may overdose, this is some piece of mind that you could save their life if it comes to that. 

It’s insurance. For parents, friends...those who can’t save the loved one from the drugs, but may be able to save them from dying. 

I think this is what I was trying to get across with the 'what is wrong with this picture'.

That is....when do we as a society or an individual stop be being a helper and become a facilitator?

Do I want someone to die? Of course not. But if a drug users is confident that someone is going to bail their axx out with a shot of Narcan. Where is the motivation to stop using?

When after the 3rd near death experience and being brought back does the user say....'I need help'....some do I am sure...but as we see in the paper.....most don't....cause the 'think' that someone is going to saver their bacon.

Just now, Sprightly said:

When people stop dying in the streets from overdosing.

So...what is the correction that is needed? Do we as a society have the responsablility of pumping up and patching up these users so they can do it again and again. This is much like patching up the trigger pullers....they have near death ...and they are fixed at our expense....only to go out and do it all over again.

Don't misunderstand me.... helping is one thing.....but when (in both cases) do 'we' society become facilitators.

And you know what....as horrible as it is....people die because they make bad decisions....that is a fact of life that some can't seem to understand.

4 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

So...what is the correction that is needed? Do we as a society have the responsablility of pumping up and patching up these users so they can do it again and again. This is much like patching up the trigger pullers....they have near death ...and they are fixed at our expense....only to go out and do it all over again.

Don't misunderstand me.... helping is one thing.....but when (in both cases) do 'we' society become facilitators.

And you know what....as horrible as it is....people die because they make bad decisions....that is a fact of life that some can't seem to understand.

Okay. 

13 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Do I want someone to die? Of course not. But if a drug users is confident that someone is going to bail their axx out with a shot of Narcan. Where is the motivation to stop using?

That is the problem.  I don't know the answer, don't think this is it.

28 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

When does it stop?

The Pharmacy in the Shoprite is dispensing it. :rolleyes:

For pete’s sake Guido. Think...or maybe READ THE LINK.

Edited by PinkFlamingo

11 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

You're just nitpicking now. Shoprite is a grocery store. As far as I know the Shoprite pharmacy is in, owned, and run by the grocery store. IMO, his point stands. A grocery store is doing it

24 minutes ago, Woodbuchr said:

You're just nitpicking now. Shoprite is a grocery store. As far as I know the Shoprite pharmacy is in, owned, and run by the grocery store. IMO, his point stands. A grocery store is doing it

The grocery store is not handing out Narcan for free like plastic bags.

It’s no different than CVS or Walgreens giving it for free. Except they’re not.

Hard to see the problem with a pharmacy providing  something that could save a life. They give out free flu shots as well. It is a public service. 

Just now, sparky1 said:

Hard to see the problem with a pharmacy providing  something that could save a life. They give out free flu shots as well. It is a public service. 

Exactly

Some people don’t understand addiction and just think one less drug addict is a good thing. Here in Harford Co, parents are losing their sons and daughters.  I personally know of three families affected by fentanyl deaths. I wouldn’t wish that horror on anyone. 

1 hour ago, Sprightly said:

Narcan is for people to administer it to a person overdosing. I don't think someone in the middle of overdosing can treat themselves. :)

I understand what Narcan is for and they cannot administer it themselves.  I just wonder if the addicts knowing they can have free Narcan takes away some of the desire/urgency to get clean. They don't have to worry about the possible deadly results of an OD if the Narcan is so easily at their disposal.  

2 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

I get it. I just think it could give another excuse to an addict to keep on using.  No need to worry about ODing if the Narcan is so readily available. 

Just now, Cowboyz said:

I get it. I just think it could give another excuse to an addict to keep on using.  No need to worry about ODing if the Narcan is so readily available. 

How would they know that someone has it? Each box is only 2 doses. It’s not a never-ending supply. 

This is to Save A Life in an Emergency...and there’s no guarantee that this will do it if it’s too late.

2 hours ago, Cowboyz said:

Perhaps you're confusing Narcan with methadone. 

3 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

How would they know that someone has it? Each box is only 2 doses. It’s not a never-ending supply. 

This is to Save A Life in an Emergency...and there’s no guarantee that this will do it if it’s too late.

A lot of junkies pair up and if they don't, they certainly run the risk of not being able to get help. If they pair up, they are at least smart enough to have a plan in place for Narcan. 

3 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Perhaps you're confusing Narcan with methadone. 

No, I know the difference. 

2 hours ago, Cowboyz said:

8 minutes ago, Cowboyz said:

No, I know the difference. 

Then why your first query?

3 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

You are splitting hairs....where the blip is the pharm....is it a stand alone like CVS. NO!

2 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

The grocery store is not handing out Narcan for free like plastic bags.

It’s no different than CVS or Walgreens giving it for free. Except they’re not.

So sorry....to correct: the franchised pharmacy...that works under the banner and contract agreement with SHOPRITE is distributing.

There that better?

Christ  you have to be a frk'n Philadelphia lawyer around here anymore. 

And the OP title does say.................which you wrote............

Klein’s ShopRite offering free Narcan