WKDWZD

Florida shooting: At least 17 dead in high school attack

401 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Smh....so ...in a very open and shut case like this....you think he will get the death penalty?

Not

What purpose would that serve?  Sure, it would satisfy the need for vengeance, but it would do absolutely NOTHING to prevent the next one of these that's sure to come

10 minutes ago, Papi said:

He posted on YouTube that he was going to become a "professional school shooter", according to this morning's news. Seems to me that such a post which was reported, should have been a sufficient threat that would create a criminal record, and any weapons found in his possession could have been confiscated and the legal purchase of any weapons prohibited for him.

Unfortunately even though that post was reported to authorities no such follow up ever took place, which is absurd. Here's a prime example of the warning signs being on full display and being ignored, leading to this kind of tragedy.

11 minutes ago, Papi said:

He posted on YouTube that he was going to become a "professional school shooter", according to this morning's news. Seems to me that such a post which was reported, should have been a sufficient threat that would create a criminal record, and any weapons found in his possession could have been confiscated and the legal purchase of any weapons prohibited for him.

Unfortunately even though that post was reported to authorities no such follow up ever took place, which is absurd. Here's a prime example of the warning signs being on full display and being ignored, leading to this kind of tragedy. 

11 minutes ago, Papi said:

Unfortunately even though that post was reported to authorities no such follow up ever took place, which is absurd. Here's a prime example of the warning signs being on full display and being ignored, leading to this kind of tragedy

16 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

Banning them would be a good start. And the magazines, ammunition.

And of course a ban would have an effect. It's just math. 

And mandate handing over ones people own. As in make it a crime to own.

Won't immediately take them all but over time it will. 

OK, we now confiscate all semi auto guns (200 million of them) and make it a crime if they are not turned over.  What do you think the compliance rate will be?  

Massachusetts just banned possession of the bump fire stock and mandated they all be turned in.  The penalty is 18 months to life in jail if you don't turn them in.  The deadline to turn them in has passed.  Guess how many were turned in? Three.

Gun owners are not going to turn them in.  The paltry number turned over in MA proves even the threat of life in prison is not enough to get them to comply.

27 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

So just how will they compensate the people who do that? These firearms and ammo cost a lot of money.

4 minutes ago, Ibrihim said:

OK, we now confiscate all semi auto guns (200 million of them) and make it a crime if they are not turned over.  What do you think the compliance rate will be?  

Massachusetts just banned possession of the bump fire stock and mandated they all be turned in.  The penalty is 18 months to life in jail if you don't turn them in.  The deadline to turn them in has passed.  Guess how many were turned in? Three.

Gun owners are not going to turn them in.  The paltry number turned over in MA proves even the threat of life in prison is not enough to get them to comply.

I didn't say all semi automatic weapons.

Rapid fire, magazine fed.

Why do you find it necessary to lie?

Seriously, I want an answer to that.

1 minute ago, ms maggie said:

Most semi autos are magazine fed. 

2 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

I don't think you understand that all semi automatic weapons are magazine fed rapid fire weapons.

Can you name a magazine fed rapid fire weapon that is not a semi auto?

How many criminals "turn in" their guns when some jurisdiction sponsors a gun buyback program? So, how many will turn them in when it's a crime to ow....wait, for most of them it's already a crime. 

You are never going to take back 200,000,000 guns. Never. It's a pipe dream to even contemplate that. 

Why isn't the contemplation focused on "why was this never an issue until the 1990's (1999 was Columbine) and beyond"? What changed? It is not the prevalence of guns. It is not the ease of acquiring guns. It is not the increased lethality of guns and/or ammunition. What is driving people of all ages, but especially youth, to aspire to carnage on a Grand Guignol scale?

That is the question that needs answering, but it's one that most seem to ignore. 

8 minutes ago, Ibrihim said:

I don't think you understand that all semi automatic weapons are magazine fed rapid fire weapons.

To be honest, most semi-automatic shotguns, and a few rifles, have tubular magazines fixed to the action. They are semi-automatic, but not rapid reloading. 

6 hours ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Until it was too late. 

39 minutes ago, Papi said:

Anyone who threatens to kill people and to shoot up a school should have their weapons seized.  This guy left a record of such threats on social media.  Nothing was done about it. 

And people are STILL opposed to having trained, qualified teachers who want to carry or retired police officers on duty to prevent entry or to help stop this kind of insanity even though many government pencil pushers have armed protection to prevent entry or stop threats.

A 19 year old purchasing an AR15 ............ but he can have his drivers license revoked if caught purchasing liquor before the age of 21.

seems a bit odd.

16 minutes ago, caliber45 said:

Most semi autos are magazine fed. 

Maggie doesn't understand or know that or isn't admitting what she is actually call for to be done. 

40 minutes ago, naive said:

Shoot --->Pray and hope--->Debate--->Forget--->Do nothing--->Repeat.

This.  The gun industry does get a little spike in profits after each mass shooting so there's that.

13 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Until it was too late. 

Anyone who threatens to kill people and to shoot up a school should have their weapons seized.  This guy left a record of such threats on social media.  Nothing was done about it. 

And people are STILL opposed to having trained, qualified teachers who want to carry or retired police officers on duty to prevent entry or to help stop this kind of insanity even though many government pencil pushers have armed protection to prevent entry or stop threats.

According to this, the FBI were specifically told about him months earlier ......

The FBI Was Warned About A School Shooting Threat From A YouTube User Named Nikolas Cruz In September. https://tiny.iavian.net/ll6d

48 minutes ago, Ibrihim said:

You're wrong.

Semi automatic handguns are not all rapid fire, assault style weapons. And a handgun clip is different from a magazine with God knows how many rounds.

And this parsing of gun lingo is tiresome.  

And that MA law? Less than 2 weeks old.

Edited by ms maggie

5 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

According to this, the FBI were specifically told about him months earlier ......

The FBI Was Warned About A School Shooting Threat From A YouTube User Named Nikolas Cruz In September. https://tiny.iavian.net/ll6d

Too busy worrying about Trump .....

21 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Maggie doesn't understand or know that or isn't admitting what she is actually call for to be done. 

But they're not all rapid fire/re-load.

But keep parsing.

27 minutes ago, ODENTON said:

A 19 year old purchasing an AR15 ............ but he can have his drivers license revoked if caught purchasing liquor before the age of 21.

seems a bit odd.

19 year olds go to war

If you're on meds for depression, schizophrenia, other serious mental issues -- you should not be able to purchase guns. That should be on your background check.

I'm sorry crazy people, but no guns for you.

1 minute ago, Pickle20 said:

If you're on meds for depression, schizophrenia, other serious mental issues -- you should not be able to purchase guns. That should be on your background check.

I'm sorry crazy people, but no guns for you.

We can't even get Congress to agree that people on the No-fly list shouldn't be able to purchase guns.

9 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Too busy worrying about Trump .....

What???

That's all you got? 

1 hour ago, ms maggie said:

Good luck with that

9 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

But they're not all rapid fire/re-load.

But keep parsing.

What is rapid fire? I think you're confused.