Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lawman 27

Traffic

46 posts in this topic

Once, just once it would be nice to drive through Maryland without getting into a traffic back up caused by a construction zone

Southbound on I95 today there was a crew working (and I use that term laughingly) on the Gunpowder River Bridge. There was a five mile back up because of this!

Just before the Harbor tunnel was another back up (about 2 miles long) due to construction crews doing something!  (You have to use the tunnel to go to Glen Burnie as the Curtis Creek Bridge is screwed up too).

Please excuse the rant, I do understand that the Maryland Government can not hire competent people to either build or fix the roads, but this is just insane!

1 minute ago, Lawman 27 said:

Once, just once it would be nice to drive through Maryland without getting into a traffic back up caused by a construction zone

Southbound on I95 today there was a crew working (and I use that term laughingly) on the Gunpowder River Bridge. There was a five mile back up because of this!

Just before the Harbor tunnel was another back up (about 2 miles long) due to construction crews doing something!  (You have to use the tunnel to go to Glen Burnie as the Curtis Creek Bridge is screwed up too).

Please excuse the rant, I do understand that the Maryland Government can not hire competent people to either build or fix the roads, but this is just insane!

When exactly should they do the necessary repairs...when 95 is closed for the season?

What a stupid rant...including the comment about the crews. :rolleyes:

Just now, PinkFlamingo said:

When exactly should they do the necessary repairs...when 95 is closed for the season?

Pink:

First, you could (and I know this has not occurred to Maryland) BUILD THE ROAD RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!*

Second, if you need to make repairs, why not do them in the evening You won't inconvenience as many drivers AND you can pay higher wages to the repair crews.

Third, (and yes, it is possible that one part was complete and the crews were waiting to start the new part of the job), but 4 out the 5 of the crew were standing around watching each other.

*Shortly after the "Lexus Lanes" (express route on I95 above the Beltway) were finished, I MEAN WITHIN WEEKS OF COMPLETION, there was construction being done to fix the foul ups. What is wrong with expecting a job to be done right?

They've had crews working on the Beltway overnight when they have repaired bridges, for example, the west side outer loop. So, they do that. I guess whatever they were doing had to be done during the day for some reason. That, or there's a guy whose job is to figure out what will most irritate YOU, and then schedule the repair work accordingly.

4 minutes ago, Lawman 27 said:

Pink:

First, you could (and I know this has not occurred to Maryland) BUILD THE ROAD RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!*

Second, if you need to make repairs, why not do them in the evening You won't inconvenience as many drivers AND you can pay higher wages to the repair crews.

I don’t think they care about inconveniencing drivers. As far as doing it at night, they do. It’s far more dangerous to do it at night because it’s dark, and 95 is full of 18-wheelers then. 

5 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

I don’t think they care about inconveniencing drivers. As far as doing it at night, they do. It’s far more dangerous to do it at night because it’s dark, and 95 is full of 18-wheelers then. 

I-95 is full of 18 wheelers most of the time.

I agree with you that they don't care about the driving public, but maybe someone in a high level posh government job should.

16 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

. I guess whatever they were doing had to be done during the day for some reason. That, or there's a guy whose job is to figure out what will most irritate YOU, and then schedule the repair work accordingly.

Even retired, I still feel like I have places to be. 

When you're sitting in an intense back up for 20-30 minutes you tend to lose your calm demeanor. (Oh, by the way... When you're in the back up, you do think that they had you in mind when they screwed up the traffic)!

Oh, by the way...

One fine day I was coming down I-95 when I saw a sign saying the right lane was closed ahead. After dealing with the back up I went about 2 miles further was another back up for construction that closed the left lane! Talk about cluster-screw-ups!

Yoda: The guy that decided to screw up traffic like that may not have had me in mind, but I can bet he did it on purpose to screw with the public (You can't have that degree of incompetence without trying)!

32 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Well... highway construction / repair should be done at night, not at the dawn of rush hour traffic. 

Would you also complain if the road conditions were screwed up and then not fixed fast enough for you? 

1 minute ago, AugusteDupin said:

Well... highway construction / repair should be done at night, not at the dawn of rush hour traffic. 

Some repairs, once started, often need to be continuously worked, pouring long stretches of concrete or placing asphalt for example.

4 minutes ago, Woodbuchr said:

Would you also complain if the road conditions were screwed up and then not fixed fast enough for you? 

I’m sure he would. They only do it to bug him. 

Just now, Woodbuchr said:

Some repairs, once started, often need to be continuously worked, pouring long stretches of concrete or placing asphalt for example.

Understood, but projects should start at night (8pm) when congestion is minimal. 

1 minute ago, AugusteDupin said:

Understood, but projects should start at night (8pm) when congestion is minimal. 

They do often start repairs at night. However some emergency repairs need to be done asap. Also in winter repairs there are temperature considerations. Concrete and asphalt have minimum temperature requirements which are often not reached until the sun warms things to above the minimum.

3 hours ago, Lawman 27 said:

One fine day I was coming down I-95 when I saw a sign saying the right lane was closed ahead. After dealing with the back up I went about 2 miles further was another back up for construction that closed the left lane! Talk about cluster-screw-ups!

This kind of thing is pretty routine when they work on the 5 in the Los Angeles vicinity. Sit in one of those backups, and you will gain new appreciation for tedious delay! :)

this is one of those old dude 'get off my lawn' rants

Or we could just put off repairs/maintenance and then shut the whole thing down the way MTA did the Baltimore Metro.

15 hours ago, Lawman 27 said:

One day I'm going to be shocked when you post something that's not a complaint. 

16 hours ago, Lawman 27 said:

Pink:

Third, (and yes, it is possible that one part was complete and the crews were waiting to start the new part of the job), but 4 out the 5 of the crew were standing around watching each other.

*Shortly after the "Lexus Lanes" (express route on I95 above the Beltway) were finished, I MEAN WITHIN WEEKS OF COMPLETION, there was construction being done to fix the foul ups. What is wrong with expecting a job to be done right?

You get more ridiculous by the day. What won’t you whine about? Roads require maintenance whether they’re “built right the first time or not”. Smh...

21 hours ago, Woodbuchr said:

They do often start repairs at night. However some emergency repairs need to be done asap. Also in winter repairs there are temperature considerations. Concrete and asphalt have minimum temperature requirements which are often not reached until the sun warms things to above the minimum.

Ironically, I was driving down Joppa Rd yesterday (07:20 am) and happened to get snagged in traffic. As I finally make it to an intersection, I see a construction crew shut down one lane of traffic by placing down cones. I then watched them bring out their tools and start to cut sections of concrete and asphalt during the height of rush hour traffic. Not a very smart idea. 

7 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

Or we could just put off repairs/maintenance and then shut the whole thing down the way MTA did the Baltimore Metro.

Did you hear the latest about that? MTA knew in 2016 many of those turnouts were bad. They claim riders were never in any danger.

10 hours ago, yeah said:

this is one of those old dude 'get off my lawn' rants

Maybe if old dudes did this more often and were able to get away with it.....there would be a lot less problems in the US. :lol:

22 hours ago, Lawman 27 said:

Pink:

I was not living in MD when the belftway was completed...which according to my wife was way behind schedule and way over budge when it opened. Also according to her and some articles I have read....that by the time it was finished it was already a decade behind traffic volume. 

In conjunction with this....and MD is not alone on this one.....why is asphalt used all the time? Well we know...bribs likely. Concrete is much much more durable...easier to patch fix and so on.... the claim is it is too expensive....OK....can anyone explain to me how if something like concrete lasts XX years and at XX cost and asphalt costs X but only lasts X years and has to be constantly redone every X years how is that cheaper?

24 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Did you hear the latest about that? MTA knew in 2016 many of those turnouts were bad. They claim riders were never in any danger.

And do you want to guess why it wasn't done in a timely fashion? Here is a hint...

22 hours ago, Lawman 27 said:

Pink:

Hey, they may have been working the old 5 man shovel relay. I prefer the last leg of the relay. Sometimes the hole is done by then.:lol: