Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lawman 27

Traffic

46 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

I was not living in MD when the belftway was completed...which according to my wife was way behind schedule and way over budge when it opened. Also according to her and some articles I have read....that by the time it was finished it was already a decade behind traffic volume. 

In conjunction with this....and MD is not alone on this one.....why is asphalt used all the time? Well we know...bribs likely. Concrete is much much more durable...easier to patch fix and so on.... the claim is it is too expensive....OK....can anyone explain to me how if something like concrete lasts XX years and at XX cost and asphalt costs X but only lasts X years and has to be constantly redone every X years how is that cheaper?

Regarding concrete, when it starts to deteriorate the only winners will be the windshield replacement companies. 

23 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

When exactly should they do the necessary repairs...when 95 is closed for the season?

What a stupid rant...including the comment about the crews. :rolleyes:

To be fair, he did apologize for the rant. :P

3 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

To be fair, he did apologize for the rant. :P

True. 

I drive the north side of 95 a lot. I’ve seen the repaving crews working after midnight betw Belcamp and BelAir where there are no lights and thought how insanely dangerous it is. Yes, they use those giant work lights, but outside of those, it is really dark, and the 18-wheelers are the predominant vehicles on the road at that time. I wouldn’t want any of my family members doing that job. 

15 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Regarding concrete, when it starts to deteriorate the only winners will be the windshield replacement companies. 

and I have had my share of winners with asphalt. Luck of the draw. :lol:

One of the MANY unfortunate side affects of a 24/7 society is that there is 'no good time' to do maintenance and repair and rail repair and and and.

I was commenting this past Xmas to my wife after I walked in from the porch late in the evening.... I said 'Hun....do you hear that....hear what....sounds the same as always....YUP. One thing I always loved about Christmas Eve and the day was....it was quiet...no cars....no police cars or rescue doing their thing...just quiet.

Now everyday is just like the other day. 

And we are so much better for it. :rolleyes:

There used to be a 'rush hour'....now at least on the BW...it is always a rush hour. Yes life has improved. 

Edited by Guido2

1 minute ago, Guido2 said:

One of the MANY unfortunate side affects of a 24/7 society is that there is 'no good time' to do maintenance and repair and rail repair and and and.

I was commenting this past Xmas to my wife after I walked in from the porch late in the evening.... I said 'Hun....do you hear that....hear what....sounds the same as always....YUP. One thing I always loved about Christmas Eve and the day was....it was quiet...no cars....no police cars or rescue doing their thing...just quiet.

Now everyday is just like the other day. 

Yeah the Blue Law times were nice. Then someone realized how much $$$$ was being lost. <_< 

52 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Yeah the Blue Law times were nice. Then someone realized how much $$$$ was being lost. <_< 

NJ was a trip. You cold go to Two Guys from Harrison. You could buy a stereo or a watch but not a refrigerator or clothing.

I dunno but even as a kid I said to my Dad 'Explain to me if your food is going bad or your house burned down you can't buy those things...but you can buy a stereo or watch.'. Generally he just shrugged his shoulders and bought me a soft pretzel. :lol:

On 2/19/2018 at 5:18 PM, Lawman 27 said:

Once, just once it would be nice to drive through Maryland without getting into a traffic back up caused by a construction zone

Southbound on I95 today there was a crew working (and I use that term laughingly) on the Gunpowder River Bridge. There was a five mile back up because of this!

Just before the Harbor tunnel was another back up (about 2 miles long) due to construction crews doing something!  (You have to use the tunnel to go to Glen Burnie as the Curtis Creek Bridge is screwed up too).

Please excuse the rant, I do understand that the Maryland Government can not hire competent people to either build or fix the roads, but this is just insane!

I feel ya! I hate the traffic and it seems to be getting worse, not better.  We just can't keep up with the growth.  

I'm not sure what the answer is because this area is popping at the seams and there are no signs of it slowing down. 

My corporate offices are located in Rockville and Chantilly, VA.  I have to be at those offices a few times a month and I dread the drive. I have no idea how people do it everyday. 

Anyone else remember when I-83 needed repairs?
(Then) Mayor Schaeffer went out of his way to make the traffic smooth despite needed repairs.

and YES, I do understand that maintenance will be needed, but I would think that repairs would NOT be needed to NEWLY DONE construction.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:06 AM, bmore_ken said:

One day I'm going to be shocked when you post something that's not a complaint. 

Ken,

If you remember, when the new Commissioner came in, I made a comment saying what a 'high speed, low drag' individual he is.

(Okay, you got me, cause I also pointed out that there would be those people against him and it does seem like the Mayor, City Council and Media are doing all they can to keep him from making the City better).

1 hour ago, Lawman 27 said:

(Then) Mayor Schaeffer went out of his way to make the traffic smooth despite needed repairs.

and YES, I do understand that maintenance will be needed, but I would think that repairs would NOT be needed to NEWLY DONE construction.

I-83 always needs repairs. What specific stretch are you talking about? What newly done construction?

Edited by Marshan Man

1 hour ago, Lawman 27 said:

Awww, poor widdle baby. Obviously you had no experience with I-83 between York and Harrisburg, a notoriously poor road that had no shoulders and was only two lane from about 1981 until 1988.  We called it a "cattle chute." Feel thankful for what you have, it can be a lot worse elsewhere.

Planning seems to have no place in Maryland Roads.

They just got though with fixing/expanding the area around Towson/83...and guess what ....plan is to do it all again.

Around Reisterstown Road....for years the messed with that area...finally got it finished...not more that  a month or two later....guess what...they are messing with it again..ohhh maybe about 200 yards down the road....

Then the mixing bowl around 95....about 3 months ago....the FINALLY finished that....and guess what.....

Shall I go on. 

Once, just once it would be nice to drive through Maryland without getting into a traffic back up caused by a construction zone

Southbound on I95 today there was a crew working (and I use that term laughingly) on the Gunpowder River Bridge. There was a five mile back up because of this!

Just before the Harbor tunnel was another back up (about 2 miles long) due to construction crews doing something!  (You have to use the tunnel to go to Glen Burnie as the Curtis Creek Bridge is screwed up too).

Please excuse the rant, I do understand that the Maryland Government can not hire competent people to either build or fix the roads, but this is just insane!

Lol! It's  Fed  infrastructure monies. Deal with it the way those of us loooong b4 you dealt with the Monroe St , 295, closings.😆

I was a rookie when it started and I was a Lieutenant  b4 it ended. Well over 15 yrs bud ... and it still wasn't finished .... Lollll 

Edited by LadyHollman

Lol! It' Fed  infrastructure monies. Deal with it the way those loooong b4 you dealt with the Monroe St , 295, closings.😆

On 2/21/2018 at 5:47 PM, Guido2 said:

Planning seems to have no place in Maryland Roads.

They just got though with fixing/expanding the area around Towson/83...and guess what ....plan is to do it all again.

Around Reisterstown Road....for years the messed with that area...finally got it finished...not more that  a month or two later....guess what...they are messing with it again..ohhh maybe about 200 yards down the road....

Then the mixing bowl around 95....about 3 months ago....the FINALLY finished that....and guess what.....

Shall I go on. 

PA is 100x worse.

You can't go anywhere nowadays without traffic.

3 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

PA is 100x worse.

Well yes and no....depends where you are talking about....now....if you are talking about the hwy that parallels the river and runs past the airport and the city....oh yes.

PA and Del. (especially Del.) have probably the worst maintained roads in the nation. That road above.....more pot holes than road...looks like a prarie dog colony...one time I thought I ran over a Mini cooper that fell into one of them.....was the only smooth ride. :lol:

PA roads suck.

DE main roads are comparable to MD.

But you certainly can’t compare the two states...they’re worlds apart.  

10 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

PA roads suck.

DE main roads are comparable to MD.

But you certainly can’t compare the two states...they’re worlds apart.  

As I said....it depends where you drive I guess.

And yes they are very different. PA has great deer hunting and Del has great duck hunting. :lol: