BPD OT

31 posts in this topic

Million Dollar Man

RAIFU MAKANJUOLA: 

2017 total pay – $206,320
2017 base vs. overtime – $82,326/$123,994
2012-17 total pay – $1,057,094
2012-17 base vs. overtime – $437,034/$620,060

Makanjuola is an ordinary Baltimore patrol officer with an extraordinary amount of overtime pay.

In 2017, the $123,994 he earned in overtime, on top of his $82,326 base pay, meant he finished the year with $206,320.

Over the last six years, the Eastern District officer has racked up more than $600,000 in overtime.

Combined with his regular pay, the 52-year-old earned more than anyone else in the police department or in City Hall (including the mayor and other elected officials) between 2012 and 2017 – $1,057,094.

https://baltimorebrew.com/2018/02/21/some-of-the-kings-and-queens-of-police-overtime-in-baltimore/

$620K OT in 6 years. Wow. Good thing for him he got it in before this GTTF issue evolved.  Allegedly, OT will be more closely monitored going forward.

Nobody police officer should make that much in overtime.  WOW

21 minutes ago, bogart said:

Oh it gets worse

Barred from Court, but not from OT

CLARENCE GREAR

2017 total pay – $195,262
2017 base vs. overtime – $83,759/$111,503
2012-17 total pay – $890,559
2012-17 base vs. overtime – $440,093/$450,466

In 2004, Officer Clarence Grear made local headlines when he and a fellow Southern District officer were accused of perjury. State’s Attorney Patricia Jessamy was forced to drop more than 100 court cases associated with Grear, including a murder trial involving an alleged drug kingpin.

Since then, Grear has not only survived an internal investigation to stay on the force, but has thrived as one of the biggest overtime recipients in the police department.

Earning $48,812 in overtime in 2014, Grear pulled in over twice that amount last year ($111,503), despite having been on the state’s attorney’s “do not no call” list of officers whose courtroom testimony is considered problematic.

He has been an arresting officer in just two cases since 2004. One involved firearms possession and the other trespassing. Last July, he and his wife purchased a new house in Prince George’s County for $626,765.

1 hour ago, Boobie said:

sounds like a hard worker.

Yeah he’s working really hard

In the last two years, when his overtime pay came to $235,224, he made about 40 arrests or less than two arrests a months, according to Maryland Judiciary Case Search. [Because of irregularities in Case Search this number was incorrectly reported in a previous version of the story.]

Nearly all of the arrests involved misdemeanors, including a “rogue and vagabond” charge against a 27-year-old homeless man and the arrest of a middle-aged couple for “gaming, cards, dice, etc.” (They were fined $45 in court costs).

I have no idea how this type of abuse has been able to go on for so long.  Why wasn't this addressed?  Who is in charge of reviewing time and payroll? More huge failures courtesy of the BCPD. 

Given the shortage of Officer's, I do understand there will be OT but cmon. 

Way to go Most Dangerous City in America, keep on making us proud.  So glad I no longer live in Baltimore and I have no reason to visit.

I should have stayed a cop.....and not a teacher.

I could have retired 10 years ago easy....and had property on the water....with a nice dock.

6 hours ago, bogart said:

How about a somebody police officer?  (Sorry, i couldn't resist) :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Oh it gets worse

Barred from Court, but not from OT

CLARENCE GREAR

2017 total pay – $195,262
2017 base vs. overtime – $83,759/$111,503
2012-17 total pay – $890,559
2012-17 base vs. overtime – $440,093/$450,466

In 2004, Officer Clarence Grear made local headlines when he and a fellow Southern District officer were accused of perjury. State’s Attorney Patricia Jessamy was forced to drop more than 100 court cases associated with Grear, including a murder trial involving an alleged drug kingpin.

Since then, Grear has not only survived an internal investigation to stay on the force, but has thrived as one of the biggest overtime recipients in the police department.

Earning $48,812 in overtime in 2014, Grear pulled in over twice that amount last year ($111,503), despite having been on the state’s attorney’s “do not no call” list of officers whose courtroom testimony is considered problematic.

He has been an arresting officer in just two cases since 2004. One involved firearms possession and the other trespassing. Last July, he and his wife purchased a new house in Prince George’s County for $626,765.

They all working OT to solve the Suiter  murder/suicide. 

11 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

They all working OT to solve the Suiter  murder/suicide. 

Yeah I’m sure that’s it. :huh:

10 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Ok I’m in the wrong business 😳

Well, what the heck. 

On top of that Egan paid extra cash into his pension fund, to increase the payout. Nothing wrong with wise investing.

The guy could be considered to have been ahead of his time. :)

Of course, it's the Officer's fault.

The system didn't have one little thing to do with it.

The fish rots from the head down. 

2 hours ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Of course, it's the Officer's fault.

The system didn't have one little thing to do with it.

Who said that?:confused:

As an aside, Baltimore Brew does a great job on investigating/reporting in detail city issues that the Sun, for whatever reasons, doesn't touch. Highly recommended site, IMHO.

12 hours ago, Bowie-Bruce said:

As an aside, Baltimore Brew does a great job on investigating/reporting in detail city issues that the Sun, for whatever reasons, doesn't touch. Highly recommended site, IMHO.

Same here BB

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:03 PM, bmore_ken said:

Ok I’m in the wrong business 😳

Looking back....and I am sure many here do as they reach retirement....wonder the same thing.

For example, a cop wtth a HS education can make  near 100000 a year....how many teacher retire at 100000 a year? The old saw 'if you want to make money go into the private sector....you want to have a lower paycheck but a job for life go with public'. Well I don't know about you, but is seems that most 'low paid' goooberment employees ...well...while flat in pay....still seem to do better than the private sector people....well unless you sell buildings like Trump. :lol: Or sell out a country. :huh:

Never in my wildest dreams would I think that a cop with a HS education could make more money that a multiple-degreed and constantly retrained teacher would make less than a cop. And I don't mean dirty cops....decent cops. 

Edited by Guido2

16 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Same here BB

I am going to have to start reading the Brew....sounds like it is what news is supposed to be. 

OK bookmarked....let the reading begin. :D

Edited by Guido2

And just think, that money is probably without counting in bribes and search robberies.

26 minutes ago, Calamari said:

And just think, that money is probably without counting in bribes and search robberies.

As I said....kind of shocking that a good cop....can make more than a teacher. 

But I understand there was a big deal some years back that a teacher was taking kickbacks from the vending machine companies in the county. 

Not kidding. Probably picked up an extra 500 a years.....demands jail time. :lol:

Meh, BPD has "mandatory" OT at times. Trust me, I HATED having to work OT. Everyone knows 3 OTS and ALL that went to taxes. 

Now require me to work 6!!!! OUCH!!!!!!!!!! I LOST money. Poot to that.

One year, I  paid $15,000 in taxes with a partial 'shelter' because of mandatory OT ... oh HECK NO!!! And I don't mean "heck".

I claim zero and those stinkers still took over $13,000.

Edited by LadyHollman