Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eastside Terp

Dunbar Bball star goes NASCAR

2 posts in this topic

I'm not a big NASCAR fan but I enjoyed this story about a former Dunbar basketball star that was on the winning teams pit crew at Daytona a few weeks ....

I've done a tour of Daytona and been in the winners circle, had to be amazing for him with a couple hundred thousand there .....

Love his quote at the end below, sounds like a good young man with a bright future .....

Former Dunbar star Derrell Edwards thrives on Daytona 500-winning pit crew

Derrell Edwards grew up without any inkling that this world existed.Like many of the kids in his East Baltimore neighborhood, he had only one vision of athletic greatness and that was becoming the next Sam Cassell or Carmelo Anthony. He was a heck of a player, too — second-team All-Metro guard on a championship Dunbar team, starter on a junior college national champion, steady contributor at a Division I conference winner.

In the afterglow of victory at the Super Bowl of NASCAR, Edwards chuckles at the improbability of his career path — a black guy from Baltimore letting go of basketball to make his fortune in a sport dominated by white faces and conservative politics. “I never wanted to do normal,” he says. “I always wanted to be different. It’s something you hear motivational speakers say: If you’re comfortable, you need to get out of your comfort zone to be successful.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/auto-racing/bs-sp-dunbar-daytona-derrell-edwards-0222-story.html

Edited by Eastside Terp

On 2/24/2018 at 2:02 PM, Eastside Terp said:

I'm not a big NASCAR fan but I enjoyed this story about a former Dunbar basketball star that was on the winning teams pit crew at Daytona a few weeks ....

I've done a tour of Daytona and been in the winners circle, had to be amazing for him with a couple hundred thousand there .....

Love his quote at the end below, sounds like a good young man with a bright future .....

Former Dunbar star Derrell Edwards thrives on Daytona 500-winning pit crew

Derrell Edwards grew up without any inkling that this world existed.Like many of the kids in his East Baltimore neighborhood, he had only one vision of athletic greatness and that was becoming the next Sam Cassell or Carmelo Anthony. He was a heck of a player, too — second-team All-Metro guard on a championship Dunbar team, starter on a junior college national champion, steady contributor at a Division I conference winner.

In the afterglow of victory at the Super Bowl of NASCAR, Edwards chuckles at the improbability of his career path — a black guy from Baltimore letting go of basketball to make his fortune in a sport dominated by white faces and conservative politics. “I never wanted to do normal,” he says. “I always wanted to be different. It’s something you hear motivational speakers say: If you’re comfortable, you need to get out of your comfort zone to be successful.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/auto-racing/bs-sp-dunbar-daytona-derrell-edwards-0222-story.html

He went to High Point University with the Dillon boys, grandchildren of Richard Childress, so he had an inside track.