pitbull

How Long Until Big Dan (Duquette) is Fired?

79 posts in this topic

Please consider this the official discussion thread for any topics related to DD getting canned.

As a long-time critic (all based on facts, of course) of Big Dan, I promise to only post recent, relevant criteria that should lead to his ouster.

(1) He hasn’t done anything to upgrade a Last Place team.

(2) Multiple promises over off-season to “upgrade” starting rotation, only new acquisition was a pitcher with a 48-64 record.

(3) Team is winless in Spring Training with four losses.

He won't be fired. His contract won't be renewed and he will walk away, having learned why working for the Angelos family inflicts career damage. He will then hope other organizations understand what it's like to try and be a GM here.

Right, but you know how the “fake news” media operates, even if Big Dan isn’t retained when his contract expires, they will report he was “fired.” 

So it’s really the same thing.

1 hour ago, pitbull said:

Please consider this the official discussion thread for any topics related to DD getting canned.

As a long-time critic (all based on facts, of course) of Big Dan, I promise to only post recent, relevant criteria that should lead to his ouster.

(2) Multiple promises over off-season to “upgrade” starting rotation, only new acquisition was a pitcher with a 48-64 record.

Dude you need to go out and get laid. I mean that in all sincerity.

3 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

^this^

7 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

:lol:

8 hours ago, pitbull said:

You forgot Michael Kelly!!!  He of the 6 plus ERA in AAA last year.  Competing for the fifth starter job.  Roch has given this guy a lot of ink.  Good god.

The mean GM lied to pitbull. He promised to buy him a shiny new pitcher, and then didn't. 

The contracts for Ray Miller and Mike Hargrove both expired & weren’t renewed. The media described both situations as the managers being “fired.” Just saying!

21 minutes ago, weird-O said:

The mean GM lied to pitbull. He promised to buy him a shiny new pitcher, and then didn't. 

Actually, he lied to the entire fan base. I’m sure you remember the lie-it’s the title of another thread on this forum. 

9 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

?????

I’ve been on tons forum 20 years and spend a lot of money supporting this franchise. If you’re happy with its direction, that’s your issue. And I mean that with all sincerity.

1 minute ago, pitbull said:

Actually, he lied to the entire fan base. I’m sure you remember the lie-it’s the title of another thread on this forum. 

Well, I don't know as much about baseball as you do, so I'll have to take your word for it. For example, I thought ST games were just practice, where players work on developing new skills, or reinforcing good habits and muscle memory. But apparently, none of that is true. It's the W-L record that is paramount. 

And for what it's worth, he didn't say he was going to "upgrade" the rotation. He said he was going to "rebuild" the rotation. Those word have very different meanings. They're meaning is clearly not explicitly the same. Moreover, they aren't implicitly the same. 

He won't be. He'll serve out the very last minute of his contract and a new one won't be offered, nor would Duquette sign a new one if one was offered. It's the Angelos M.O. -- serve your contract, even as a lame duck detriment to the organization.

19 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

He won't be. He'll serve out the very last minute of his contract and a new one won't be offered, nor would Duquette sign a new one if one was offered. It's the Angelos M.O. -- serve your contract, even as a lame duck detriment to the organization.

Which is clear as day to some of us

1 minute ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Which is clear as day to some of us

That word deserved to be singled out :D

2 hours ago, pitbull said:

The contracts for Ray Miller and Mike Hargrove both expired & weren’t renewed. The media described both situations as the managers being “fired.” Just saying!

I was curious about this, and looked into it. For what it's worth, Hargrove's contract expired on Nov. 1st of 2003. He was let go on Sept 30th. I suppose you could technically say that he was fired. As for it being reported as a firing, that appeared to be at the national level. Locally, they avoided the "F" word, at least in the articles that popped up in Google. As for Miller, he had a mutual option year that wasn't picked up. So again, it could technically be considered a dismissal. Like Hargrove the search results showed national level writers saying he was fired, local writers described it as declining the option year. We'll see how the outlets describe the O's-DD separation, and the O's-Buck separation, if he also leaves.  

On 2/27/2018 at 10:27 AM, weird-O said:

I was curious about this, and looked into it. For what it's worth, Hargrove's contract expired on Nov. 1st of 2003. He was let go on Sept 30th. I suppose you could technically say that he was fired. As for it being reported as a firing, that appeared to be at the national level. Locally, they avoided the "F" word, at least in the articles that popped up in Google. As for Miller, he had a mutual option year that wasn't picked up. So again, it could technically be considered a dismissal. Like Hargrove the search results showed national level writers saying he was fired, local writers described it as declining the option year. We'll see how the outlets describe the O's-DD separation, and the O's-Buck separation, if he also leaves.  

Does it really matter if he is fired or not renewed? Isn't the end result the same?

2 hours ago, NCBirdfan said:

Does it really matter if he is fired or not renewed? Isn't the end result the same?

No, it doesn't matter. For me, the topic is more about reporting. For example, when Manny and the O's agreed to a $$$ amount though the arbitration process, the Sun writers wrote something like, "The O's sign Manny to a one year contract". It's disingenuous to paint it as a contract, when it's not a contract in the true sense of the word. At least, not in sports, where two independent parties come together and agree to a partnership. That's not the case with Manny. But the media wing of the warehouse do their job. 

This isn't something that keeps me up at night, but it is a problem I've had with this ownership group, for 2 decades. In fine lawyerly fashion, they twist, stretch and bend language to create a facade.      

2 hours ago, weird-O said:

No, it doesn't matter. For me, the topic is more about reporting. For example, when Manny and the O's agreed to a $$$ amount though the arbitration process, the Sun writers wrote something like, "The O's sign Manny to a one year contract". It's disingenuous to paint it as a contract, when it's not a contract in the true sense of the word.

It irritates me that the club has established a policy of freezing out journalists who say anything other than the marketing approved statements, and that the cowardly journalists in this town haven't pushed back against that.

36 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

It irritates me that the club has established a policy of freezing out journalists who say anything other than the marketing approved statements, and that the cowardly journalists in this town haven't pushed back against that.

True, it's lame. So I look to the national writers to offer a more balanced appraisal of the team. Especially guys like Tim Kurkjian. But I don't blame the beat writers. They need a job, and most of them grew up as O's fans, so the chance to cover their hometown team is probably worth the price Angelos demands of them. 

Five game losing streak. Team is carrying 3 rule-five guys, including 2 middle relievers. Still no leadoff hitter. Offense remains one-dimensional.

IMO, the countdown is on for Dan. I’ll be surprised if he lasts the season.

5 hours ago, pitbull said:

Five game losing streak. Team is carrying 3 rule-five guys, including 2 middle relievers. Still no leadoff hitter. Offense remains one-dimensional.

IMO, the countdown is on for Dan. I’ll be surprised if he lasts the season.

No, it isn't. Duquette will finish out the year and then will almost certainly be moving on.

It’s a shame. Big Dan had a chance to build a legacy here. Instead, he’ll be remembered as a laughingstock & buffoon.

I would sincerely hope that Dan isn't a part of any firesale that could take place this season. He's a lame duck GM who shouldn't have an input into the future.