pitbull

How Long Until Big Dan (Duquette) is Fired?

79 posts in this topic

Please consider this the official discussion thread for any topics related to DD getting canned.

As a long-time critic (all based on facts, of course) of Big Dan, I promise to only post recent, relevant criteria that should lead to his ouster.

(1) He hasn’t done anything to upgrade a Last Place team.

(2) Multiple promises over off-season to “upgrade” starting rotation, only new acquisition was a pitcher with a 48-64 record.

(3) Team is winless in Spring Training with four losses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He won't be fired. His contract won't be renewed and he will walk away, having learned why working for the Angelos family inflicts career damage. He will then hope other organizations understand what it's like to try and be a GM here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, but you know how the “fake news” media operates, even if Big Dan isn’t retained when his contract expires, they will report he was “fired.” 

So it’s really the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pitbull said:

Please consider this the official discussion thread for any topics related to DD getting canned.

As a long-time critic (all based on facts, of course) of Big Dan, I promise to only post recent, relevant criteria that should lead to his ouster.

(1) He hasn’t done anything to upgrade a Last Place team.

(2) Multiple promises over off-season to “upgrade” starting rotation, only new acquisition was a pitcher with a 48-64 record.

(3) Team is winless in Spring Training with four losses.

Dude you need to go out and get laid. I mean that in all sincerity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Dude you need to go out and get laid. I mean that in all sincerity.

^this^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Dude you need to go out and get laid. I mean that in all sincerity.

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pitbull said:

Please consider this the official discussion thread for any topics related to DD getting canned.

As a long-time critic (all based on facts, of course) of Big Dan, I promise to only post recent, relevant criteria that should lead to his ouster.

(1) He hasn’t done anything to upgrade a Last Place team.

(2) Multiple promises over off-season to “upgrade” starting rotation, only new acquisition was a pitcher with a 48-64 record.

(3) Team is winless in Spring Training with four losses.

You forgot Michael Kelly!!!  He of the 6 plus ERA in AAA last year.  Competing for the fifth starter job.  Roch has given this guy a lot of ink.  Good god.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The mean GM lied to pitbull. He promised to buy him a shiny new pitcher, and then didn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The contracts for Ray Miller and Mike Hargrove both expired & weren’t renewed. The media described both situations as the managers being “fired.” Just saying!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, weird-O said:

The mean GM lied to pitbull. He promised to buy him a shiny new pitcher, and then didn't. 

Actually, he lied to the entire fan base. I’m sure you remember the lie-it’s the title of another thread on this forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Dude you need to go out and get laid. I mean that in all sincerity.

?????

I’ve been on tons forum 20 years and spend a lot of money supporting this franchise. If you’re happy with its direction, that’s your issue. And I mean that with all sincerity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pitbull said:

Actually, he lied to the entire fan base. I’m sure you remember the lie-it’s the title of another thread on this forum. 

Well, I don't know as much about baseball as you do, so I'll have to take your word for it. For example, I thought ST games were just practice, where players work on developing new skills, or reinforcing good habits and muscle memory. But apparently, none of that is true. It's the W-L record that is paramount. 

And for what it's worth, he didn't say he was going to "upgrade" the rotation. He said he was going to "rebuild" the rotation. Those word have very different meanings. They're meaning is clearly not explicitly the same. Moreover, they aren't implicitly the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He won't be. He'll serve out the very last minute of his contract and a new one won't be offered, nor would Duquette sign a new one if one was offered. It's the Angelos M.O. -- serve your contract, even as a lame duck detriment to the organization.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

He won't be. He'll serve out the very last minute of his contract and a new one won't be offered, nor would Duquette sign a new one if one was offered. It's the Angelos M.O. -- serve your contract, even as a lame duck detriment to the organization.

Which is clear as day to some of us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Which is clear as day to some of us

That word deserved to be singled out :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pitbull said:

The contracts for Ray Miller and Mike Hargrove both expired & weren’t renewed. The media described both situations as the managers being “fired.” Just saying!

I was curious about this, and looked into it. For what it's worth, Hargrove's contract expired on Nov. 1st of 2003. He was let go on Sept 30th. I suppose you could technically say that he was fired. As for it being reported as a firing, that appeared to be at the national level. Locally, they avoided the "F" word, at least in the articles that popped up in Google. As for Miller, he had a mutual option year that wasn't picked up. So again, it could technically be considered a dismissal. Like Hargrove the search results showed national level writers saying he was fired, local writers described it as declining the option year. We'll see how the outlets describe the O's-DD separation, and the O's-Buck separation, if he also leaves.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2018 at 10:27 AM, weird-O said:

I was curious about this, and looked into it. For what it's worth, Hargrove's contract expired on Nov. 1st of 2003. He was let go on Sept 30th. I suppose you could technically say that he was fired. As for it being reported as a firing, that appeared to be at the national level. Locally, they avoided the "F" word, at least in the articles that popped up in Google. As for Miller, he had a mutual option year that wasn't picked up. So again, it could technically be considered a dismissal. Like Hargrove the search results showed national level writers saying he was fired, local writers described it as declining the option year. We'll see how the outlets describe the O's-DD separation, and the O's-Buck separation, if he also leaves.  

Does it really matter if he is fired or not renewed? Isn't the end result the same?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NCBirdfan said:

Does it really matter if he is fired or not renewed? Isn't the end result the same?

No, it doesn't matter. For me, the topic is more about reporting. For example, when Manny and the O's agreed to a $$$ amount though the arbitration process, the Sun writers wrote something like, "The O's sign Manny to a one year contract". It's disingenuous to paint it as a contract, when it's not a contract in the true sense of the word. At least, not in sports, where two independent parties come together and agree to a partnership. That's not the case with Manny. But the media wing of the warehouse do their job. 

This isn't something that keeps me up at night, but it is a problem I've had with this ownership group, for 2 decades. In fine lawyerly fashion, they twist, stretch and bend language to create a facade.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, weird-O said:

No, it doesn't matter. For me, the topic is more about reporting. For example, when Manny and the O's agreed to a $$$ amount though the arbitration process, the Sun writers wrote something like, "The O's sign Manny to a one year contract". It's disingenuous to paint it as a contract, when it's not a contract in the true sense of the word.

It irritates me that the club has established a policy of freezing out journalists who say anything other than the marketing approved statements, and that the cowardly journalists in this town haven't pushed back against that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

It irritates me that the club has established a policy of freezing out journalists who say anything other than the marketing approved statements, and that the cowardly journalists in this town haven't pushed back against that.

True, it's lame. So I look to the national writers to offer a more balanced appraisal of the team. Especially guys like Tim Kurkjian. But I don't blame the beat writers. They need a job, and most of them grew up as O's fans, so the chance to cover their hometown team is probably worth the price Angelos demands of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Five game losing streak. Team is carrying 3 rule-five guys, including 2 middle relievers. Still no leadoff hitter. Offense remains one-dimensional.

IMO, the countdown is on for Dan. I’ll be surprised if he lasts the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pitbull said:

Five game losing streak. Team is carrying 3 rule-five guys, including 2 middle relievers. Still no leadoff hitter. Offense remains one-dimensional.

IMO, the countdown is on for Dan. I’ll be surprised if he lasts the season.

No, it isn't. Duquette will finish out the year and then will almost certainly be moving on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a shame. Big Dan had a chance to build a legacy here. Instead, he’ll be remembered as a laughingstock & buffoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would sincerely hope that Dan isn't a part of any firesale that could take place this season. He's a lame duck GM who shouldn't have an input into the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now