pitbull

How Long Until Big Dan (Duquette) is Fired?

79 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, pitbull said:

?????

Again, you have me confused with someone else. I’ve been here 18 years & have a reputation for dealing solely with facts. If you can’t handle facts (and its fairly obvious you cannot) then I suggest you move on to other initiatives, such as Chris Davis, or Buck, or Britton remaining in the bullpen in the 2016 Wild Card game for example.

No, you deal mostly with your own opinions. 

2 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

No, you deal mostly with your own opinions. 

?????

Again, you’re in the minority. Sorry you misunderstand.

1 minute ago, pitbull said:

?????

Again, you’re in the minority. Sorry you misunderstand.

Did it rain in your world today?

?????

I’m confused over what it is you specifically disagree with.

Big Dan’s offense has acccounted for zero runs tonite but don’t worry, mdrunning truly believes Duquette has assembled a good baseball team. The future is bright!

On 6/10/2018 at 8:25 PM, mdrunning said:

Did it rain in your world today?

You must be a huge Duquette Apologist to keep up this same old tired BS day after day, week after week. Same old tired tune. Carry on. 

30 minutes ago, pitbull said:

You must be a huge Duquette Apologist to keep up this same old tired BS day after day, week after week. Same old tired tune. Carry on. 

On 6/10/2018 at 6:04 PM, outerbanks said:

What an absolute disaster this franchise is.  Brady who got two coaches fired who were trying to "coach" Mike Wright https://thebaltimorewire.com/2018/02/24/baltimore-orioles-front-office-anderson-duquette/3/, signed O'Day and Trumbo.  You have Buck who has the owners ear and was responsible for C. Davis's signing when Duquette was adamantly opposed to his signing.  DD tried to trade Britton last summer to the Astros but Angelos vetoed the deal. Yes DD should have signed Markakis, or Andrew Miller,or Cruz. But was that DD's call or Angelos's call? We do not participate in the International Draft which has left the O's minor league system totally devoid of talent.  Credit to Gertrude for finding the Angelos's email addresses. Our only hope is for the Angelos to sell the team. According to Richard Justice formerly of the Sun he knows of someone who inquired about buying the team but was told the team is not for sale.

https://www.angeloslaw.com/lawyer/louis-f-angelos

http://www.johnangeloslaw.com/

4 hours ago, pitbull said:

Big Dan’s offense has acccounted for zero runs tonite but don’t worry, mdrunning truly believes Duquette has assembled a good baseball team. The future is bright!

I said no such thing.

Speaking only for myself, there's no denying that Duquette has made some bad moves during his time here, and should be held accountable for doing so. He isn't above reproach, nor should he be. Every GM makes mistakes, and that includes guys who are considered among the top at what they do (think Theo Epstein, Dave Dombrowski, et al.). Difference is, those guys have been afforded the latitude to run their respective clubs as best as they see fit. Duquette has been largely operating with one hand tied behind his back.

What's embarrassing about this season isn't so much that the Orioles are bad, but unlike other bad teams, they went into this season truly expecting to compete, whereas the other aforementioned clubs knew they were going to be bad. Now let's just suppose for a second that Duquette saw this debacle coming, and tried to avoid getting hit by the train last season by moving players such as Britton and then Manny in the offseason. Even if he had presented such a plan, or if his eventual successor were to formulate such a plan, would either be given the authority to carry it out? We'll never know for sure, but I think we can all guess.

It's my contention that if Duquette had been given the freedom to operate without having to constantly look over his shoulder, this team would look much different today. I think Manny would be already be gone, as would Britton. Trumbo would never have been re-signed, and neither would Davis. Now the Orioles are stuck with players signed to guaranteed deals who have regressed severely. We also wouldn't have a team full of Rule 5's because the Orioles wouldn't punt the international draft every year. While other teams are signing future Jose Altuves, the Orioles are attacking the Rule 5 draft like kids at Christmas while at the same time trying to find undervalued AAAA players and bringing in the likes of Colby Rasmus. 

Where we differ is that while you blame Duquette for everything from the Orioles' current standing to the flooding in Ellicott City, I see a competent GM who has no cards left to play and now faces the unenviable task of trying to untangle this mess as a lame duck. I certainly don't think he's perfect and he's made his share of mistakes. But Duquette is also the guy who inherited the core MacPhail left behind and found value players from the sources available to him and made the team winners.

Duquette may or may not be the man to lead this team going forward (and all indications are he won't), but he also isn't the stumbling, bumbling buffoon you try and make him out to be. 

6 hours ago, mdrunning said:

I said no such thing.

Speaking only for myself, there's no denying that Duquette has made some bad moves during his time here, and should be held accountable for doing so. He isn't above reproach, nor should he be. Every GM makes mistakes, and that includes guys who are considered among the top at what they do (think Theo Epstein, Dave Dombrowski, et al.). Difference is, those guys have been afforded the latitude to run their respective clubs as best as they see fit. Duquette has been largely operating with one hand tied behind his back.

What's embarrassing about this season isn't so much that the Orioles are bad, but unlike other bad teams, they went into this season truly expecting to compete, whereas the other aforementioned clubs knew they were going to be bad. Now let's just suppose for a second that Duquette saw this debacle coming, and tried to avoid getting hit by the train last season by moving players such as Britton and then Manny in the offseason. Even if he had presented such a plan, or if his eventual successor were to formulate such a plan, would either be given the authority to carry it out? We'll never know for sure, but I think we can all guess.

It's my contention that if Duquette had been given the freedom to operate without having to constantly look over his shoulder, this team would look much different today. I think Manny would be already be gone, as would Britton. Trumbo would never have been re-signed, and neither would Davis. Now the Orioles are stuck with players signed to guaranteed deals who have regressed severely. We also wouldn't have a team full of Rule 5's because the Orioles wouldn't punt the international draft every year. While other teams are signing future Jose Altuves, the Orioles are attacking the Rule 5 draft like kids at Christmas while at the same time trying to find undervalued AAAA players and bringing in the likes of Colby Rasmus. 

Where we differ is that while you blame Duquette for everything from the Orioles' current standing to the flooding in Ellicott City, I see a competent GM who has no cards left to play and now faces the unenviable task of trying to untangle this mess as a lame duck. I certainly don't think he's perfect and he's made his share of mistakes. But Duquette is also the guy who inherited the core MacPhail left behind and found value players from the sources available to him and made the team winners.

Duquette may or may not be the man to lead this team going forward (and all indications are he won't), but he also isn't the stumbling, bumbling buffoon you try and make him out to be. 

Mic drop

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, mdrunning said:

And as I’ve pointed out repeatedly, but you have yet to comprehend the information, is that you must have me confused with someone else. I’m very well aware that the entire Front Office - from ownership to General Managers to scouts, etc - is incompetent.

And as I’ve told you - again, repeatedly - i’ve here nearly 20 years & have a reputation for dealing solely with facts. I have been equally critical of Peter Angelos & all his incompetent general managers, including, but not limited to Syd Thrift. I lamabasted MacPhail who failed to field a competitive team here but in hindsight have realized the fruits of his labor.

We just disagree about Duquette being a stumbling bumbling buffoon. His inadequacies have been pointed out here, ad nauseum. I don’t know how you - or anyone - could argue that he’s competent when his track record proves otherwise. He’s a joke & its obvious to anyone who pays attention. I assume you do which is why I (and the majority of fans here) find your position surprising.

Edited by pitbull

3 hours ago, pitbull said:

And as I’ve pointed out repeatedly, but you have yet to comprehend the information, is that you must have me confused with someone else. I’m very well aware that the entire Front Office - from ownership to General Managers to scouts, etc - is incompetent.

And as I’ve told you - again, repeatedly - i’ve here nearly 20 years & have a reputation for dealing solely with facts. I have been equally critical of Peter Angelos & all his incompetent general managers, including, but not limited to Syd Thrift. I lamabasted MacPhail who failed to field a competitive team here but in hindsight have realized the fruits of his labor.

We just disagree about Duquette being a stumbling bumbling buffoon. His inadequacies have been pointed out here, ad nauseum. I don’t know how you - or anyone - could argue that he’s competent when his track record proves otherwise. He’s a joke & its obvious to anyone who pays attention. I assume you do which is why I (and the majority of fans here) find your position surprising.

Good post.  Duquette is a Matt Millen-level buffoon.  

I think mdrunning might be Jerry Colangelo’s wife.

Pitbull I implore you to read this article about the Orioles being the most dysfunctional organization in baseball.  When you find out the details about what has gone on behind scenes I think you would have a different perspective. . DD has made some bad trades but has also made some good acquisitions. The blame for this collapse falls squarely on the Angelos family,

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2018/05/12/how-orioles-became-most-dysfunctional-organization-baseball/gZx5qyDTYFmhCb53KDQ3dI/story.html

3 hours ago, Balmerboh said:

Good post.  Duquette is a Matt Millen-level buffoon.  

I think mdrunning might be Jerry Colangelo’s wife.

I think you would be wrong.

Edited by mdrunning

14 hours ago, pitbull said:

So, why is your manta always to blame "Big Dan" for everything, rather than using the terms "the FO" or "the Warehouse"?

As for your claim that you deal only in facts, and you say this with some regularity. Any person dealing strictly in fact, would reflect on how he took over a 69-95 team, and immediately transformed them into an 82-80 team that won a WC game, and pushed the ALDS to a full 5 games. He oversaw a team that had the most wins, of any MLB team, over a 3-4 year stretch, while making the post season 3 times in 5 years. Oh, and he was named the AL Exec of the Year. I can name at least 20 other GMs that would love to be that joke of a buffoon. Then there's the fact that the Buffoon built the foundation for a Red Sox team that won a WS championship. And he was the architect for the 1994 Montreal Expos, a team that is considered one of the best ever assembled.

Of course, his Oriole resume isn't all rainbows and cotton candy. There are negatives. You know, the ones you remind us of on a daily basis. Suffice to say, if you can look upon those accomplishments, and say he's a joke and a buffoon, that you too are leaving many others surprised by your position.       

On 6/11/2018 at 9:44 PM, pitbull said:

Same old tired tune. 

Hey that sounds like your posts 😂😂😂

5 hours ago, weird-O said:

So, why is your manta always to blame "Big Dan" for everything, rather than using the terms "the FO" or "the Warehouse"?

I’ve been very specific & I’ve often - as you are aware - blamed the entire “Warehouse” for the organization’s incompetence, so your question doesn’t make sense.

Edited by pitbull

5 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Hey that sounds like your posts 😂😂😂

?????

You must have me confused with someone else.

24 minutes ago, pitbull said:

I’ve been very specific & I’ve often - as you are aware - blamed the entire “Warehouse” for the organization’s incompetence, so your question doesn’t make sense.

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly. You're saying, if I invest the time to gather a collection of your posts, I will find that you criticize the Warehouse by name, more than you specifically criticize Big Dan?   

41 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly. You're saying, if I invest the time to gather a collection of your posts, I will find that you criticize the Warehouse by name, more than you specifically criticize Big Dan?   

Over the last 17 years, correct. But please don’t waste your valuable time.

Edited by pitbull

17 minutes ago, pitbull said:

Over the last 17 years, correct. But please don’t waste your valuable time.

Hmmm...so you want to compare DD's 6 year tenure up against your 17 years on this board. That's a hell of a handicap in your favor. :) 

13 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Hmmm...so you want to compare DD's 6 year tenure up against your 17 years on this board. That's a hell of a handicap in your favor. :) 

Duquette is six-and-out. I’m the energizer bunny!

9 minutes ago, pitbull said:

We're all lifers on this board. And now I'm sad, because I know we'll be lamenting more bad times than celebrating good -_- 

22 hours ago, pitbull said:

Be careful. You might just get what you wish.