Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PinkFlamingo

Ongoing carjackings

33 posts in this topic

From the link:

Police said the driver, Jemar Cannon, 18, was in possession of an unregistered handgun and several bags of cocaine. He was charged for that and auto theft for the February 1 incident.

Tyreece Jones, 18, was a passenger in the car. He also faces vehicle theft charges.

Mr. Cannon has been released on bail; Mr. Jones on his own recognizance.  

Terrible. It is the unintended consequence of keyless entry cars and push button ignition. 

Also, you could be involved in an accident by just being in the wrong place at the wrong time if they’re driving recklessly in a stolen car trying to evade the cops. 

It’s not just the inner city...it’s spreading outward...as expected. 

28 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Also, you could be involved in an accident by just being in the wrong place at the wrong time if they’re driving recklessly in a stolen car trying to evade the cops. 

Better opportunities in the 'burbs.

1 minute ago, Chesapeake Spirit said:

Yep. My husband and I are both looking at new cars...and sadly, I’ve got that in the back of my mind - whether what we’re considering is attractive to carjackers. Not that I think it actually matters, but I don’t want to stand out. 

I don't see how keyless makes any difference if they are taking the car while you are in it.

4 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

I don't see how keyless makes any difference if they are taking the car while you are in it.

Think about it...they see you walking towards your car, the lights flash and they beat you to it, jump in and push the start button. They don’t even need the key. 

That would be the best scenario. No personal contact. 

Keyless start makes it even easier for them. 

Edited by PinkFlamingo

26 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Think about it...they see you walking towards your car, the lights flash and they beat you to it, jump in and push the start button. They don’t even need the key. 

That would be the best scenario. No personal contact. 

Keyless start makes it even easier for them. 

I know someone with one of those cars. The button will not work unless you (with your wireless device) are very close to the dash - basically, in the driver's seat. Although he can also start his car remotely. That's nice in the winter but dangerous as hell unless you're the kind of mobster for whom "car trouble" usually means some kind of explosion. The car does lock itself before it starts but anyone with a slim jim can defeat that.

43 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

I know someone with one of those cars. The button will not work unless you (with your wireless device) are very close to the dash - basically, in the driver's seat. Although he can also start his car remotely. That's nice in the winter but dangerous as hell unless you're the kind of mobster for whom "car trouble" usually means some kind of explosion. The car does lock itself before it starts but anyone with a slim jim can defeat that.

You still need to have the key in the car for it to start out of auto-start.

26 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Ah. Good to know.

4 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Again and again...

Carjacking in Rosedale leads to 5 arrests https://www.abc2news.com/news/region/baltimore-county/five-people-charged-with-carjacking-man-in-rosedale

The two Rosedale carjacking suspects are identified as a 14-year-old girl and a 13-year-old boy. 

Be careful out there 

I don't know if the concern is real or exaggerated.  I drove through Rosedale, even stopping at lights, and I didn't get carjacked.

But it if is real, then it's caused by systemic racism, years of forced segregation, and resulting poverty. 

Edited by Ode2Joy

55 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

No, it varies depending on the vehicle.

6 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

I don't know if the concern is real or exaggerated.  I drove through Rosedale, even stopping at lights, and I didn't get carjacked.

But it if is real, then it's caused by systemic racism, years of forced segregation, and resulting poverty. 

That just can't be. Everyone knows that racism ended in 1963, when LBJ enacted the Civil Rights Act. The "New Society;" providing equality for everyone ended all of that, didn't it? 

If we legalize addictive drugs, car theft, burglary and robbery, the playing field will be equal again, entrepreneurship shouldn't be limited to legitimate business. 

(insert sarcasm here) <_<

48 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Really? Well certainly there are at at least  2 carjackers per driver on the roads in all of Rosedale...including Rt40. I guess you were slighted. According to the article, the one occurred at Lyndale near Kenwood, which I consider Fullerton/Overlea, so maybe that’s where your designated carjackers were. 

It’s a gamble Ode...it’s a gamble. :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Really? Well certainly there are at at least  2 carjackers per driver on the roads in all of Rosedale...including Rt40. I guess you were slighted. According to the article, the one occurred at Lyndale near Kenwood, which I consider Fullerton/Overlea, so maybe that’s where your designated carjackers were. 

It’s a gamble Ode...it’s a gamble. :rolleyes:

They start 'em young.  Nice to know that the carjackers are now taking on younger apprentices to teach the trade. 

19 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

We know the pharse 'follow the money'

MDs variation 'follow the section 8 placements' and you have the answer. 

Don't fix the problem.....share it. 

15 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

Your fiddling dog avatar is my response to your statement.

Time for some to stop the blame game and get their house in order. 

Edited by Guido2

13 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Concealed-carry permit holder flips the script, shoots and kills alleged carjacker - ABC News https://abcn.ws/2HS3qQB

Poor Carlos!  :(  Another victim of senseless gun violence over a car of all things.  The war of the haves on the have nots continues.  

9 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Poor Carlos!  :(  Another victim of senseless gun violence over a car of all things.  The war of the haves on the have nots continues.  

I’m hoping that’s sarcasm on your part 

On 2/27/2018 at 2:38 PM, Chesapeake Spirit said:

Easier to escape quickly too.

3 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

I’m hoping that’s sarcasm on your part 

I am positive it is