Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SemiAuto

Trump Is More Like Recent Presidents Than Anyone Wants To Admit

29 posts in this topic

When it came to foreign policy, domestic surveillance, governmental overreach, the drug war, deportations, and so much more, Barack Obama, George W. Bush, and Bill Clinton crossed lines that never should have been crossed. Trump is the shocking apparition that's left when all the ceremonial trappings and respect have been stripped away.

As a country, we should have the guts to admit that and the resolve to be better than our presidents.

source

SSDD.   The only thing missing is the facade of legitimacy that never should have been there in the first place.

1 minute ago, SemiAuto said:

source

SSDD.   The only thing missing is the facade of legitimacy that never should have been there in the first place.

:confused: Trump is a pos

Just now, paulsebastian said:

To quote the article, "... a volatile mix of jackass, narcissist, and bull**** artist..."

It just isn't anything new.

Just now, SemiAuto said:

To quote the article, "... a volatile mix of jackass, narcissist, and bull**** artist..."

correct

Political rhetoric has traditionally been for the under/mis/uninformed.The level of corruption and incompetence in this administration however is unparalleled. Mueller is taking so long because everywhere he turns there's fire. The Atlantic has  nicknamed him Hell's Fireman. Finding equivalency between this administration and previous ones is a disingenuous diversion and shows the OP true stripes. 

Trump seems unlike other presidents in his attacks on democratic institutions and traditions, his lack of emotional maturity, the richness of his chronic insecurity, racist demagoguery and grotesque narcissism. His financial enrichment through the office and nepotism seem rather unique as well.

2 minutes ago, zenwalk said:

Political rhetoric has traditionally been for the under/mis/uninformed.The level of corruption and incompetence in this administration however is unparalleled. Mueller is taking so long because everywhere he turns there's fire. The Atlantic has  nicknamed him Hell's Fireman. Finding equivalency between this administration and previous ones is a disingenuous diversion and shows the OP true stripes. 

What do you think in the article is disingenuous?

I already said it: drawing an equivalency between a crime family and politics as usual.

3 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Trump seems unlike other presidents in his attacks on democratic institutions and traditions, his lack of emotional maturity, the richness of his chronic insecurity, racist demagoguery and grotesque narcissism. His financial enrichment through the office and nepotism seem rather unique as well.

That is, we should be hip to the idea that every time Trump does or says something outlandish, he's trying to divert our attention from another problem. Clinton did the same thing, except in more violent form. Back in 1998, Clinton bombed targets in Sudan and Afghanistan on the very day that Monica Lewinsky delivered grand jury testimony about whether the president had lied under oath. Later in the year, he saw fit to bomb Iraq on the day the House of Representatives began voting on articles of impeachment, thereby delaying the proceedings. So even if it's true, as Scarborough claims, that Trump said yes to Kim Jong-un because "he did not want the Washington Post to have the word 'Stormy Daniels' on the front page today," we've been there and done that as a nation.

Been there and done that.

As pointed out, the only thing missing is the facade.   It is a bit too convenient to only start missing it now.

1 minute ago, zenwalk said:

I already said it: drawing an equivalency between a crime family and politics as usual.

So when Sen. Warren comes out in favor of the really bad idea of tariffs it is politics as usual but a crime for the president?

Just now, SemiAuto said:

So when Sen. Warren comes out in favor of the really bad idea of tariffs it is politics as usual but a crime for the president?

I've repeated myself already.  The WH cannot be compared with any previous administration. Your attempt at changing the subject to Warren is understandable. In your shoes I would too.

Just now, zenwalk said:

I've repeated myself already.  The WH cannot be compared with any previous administration. Your attempt at changing the subject to Warren is understandable. In your shoes I would too.

So the White House can't be compared with any previous administrations but it is an attempt to change the subject to point out, factually, that it is comparable. 

In my shoes, yes, this is not surprising.   It shouldn't be surprising to anyone.  Yet here you are. 

36 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

Hogwash

4 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

Hogwash

What do you think in the article is disingenuous hogwash?

43 minutes ago, paulsebastian said:

So the thread title is correct as obamma is a pos as well.

1 minute ago, Ibrihim said:

So the thread title is correct as obamma is a pos as well.

In his own right, yes.   So were Bush and Clinton.  If you want to go back further you could.   

Trump's negligence and idiocy hasn't gotten nearly as many people killed as either Bush, but give him time.

Anarchists make such good judges of gommint leaders...:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, zenwalk said:

Indeed.

It is that sort of false equivalency that makes a rouge like Trump possible.

SMH, the ignorance some people are willing to accept. 

15 hours ago, hst2 said:

Indeed.

It is that sort of false equivalency that makes a rouge like Trump possible.

What false equivalency does the article present?

12 hours ago, ODENTON said:

SMH, the ignorance some people are willing to accept. 

Agreed.   If you ignore the ever declining standards of what is acceptable from the political class then Trump looks like an aberration.   Otherwise he fits in.   He is just missing the facade of decency while doing the mostly crap job of it that has been normalized.

16 hours ago, gonzoliberal said:

Anarchists make such good judges of gommint leaders...:rolleyes:

Do you think we are being well served by our preznits of late?

1 minute ago, Heisenberg said:

LOL. Good one semi. Thanks for the laugh. 

I'm glad you're amused by the sorry state of the executive office.  :mellow: