bleedingorangeandblack

John Brown Ravens Bound

50 posts in this topic

I'm sure Baltimore's relatively close proximity to Harper's Ferry sealed the deal.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can he stay healthy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ravens acquire receivers the same way the Orioles acquire pitchers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Ryan Grant just agreed to terms - Flacco's salivating!

Edited by NCBirdfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear they are also interested in Ryan Grant.  Not impressed with either.  It looks like they expect Wallace to go elsewhere.  These additions look like about the same talent level just with different names.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NCBirdfan said:

Ryan Grant just agreed to terms - Flacco's salivating!

Four years for $29 million with $14.5 million guaranteed and a $10 million signing bonus. That sounds like a massive over-reach for a guy most people probably had to google.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Four years for $29 million with $14.5 million guaranteed and a $10 million signing bonus. That sounds like a massive over-reach for a guy most people probably had to google.

I thought it was the old Green Bay running back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, alienrace said:

Can he stay healthy?

With sickle-cell anemia? Probably not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grant is a nice signing, although very expensive for who he is. But the contracts being handed out this offseason are MLB-esque. Crazy.

Have to think the Ravens bring in another WR through FA and then draft someone they believe can start immediately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grant isn't a bad receiver but he is hardly a "big splash" play maker.  He is more of the same of what the Ravens already have.  A 4 year $29 million deal for a receiver who has been in the league 4 years and amassed a whopping total of 985 career yards and 6 career TDs?  I looked around for the reaction just to see if I am missing something and the reaction from most of the analysts are that the signing is a head scratcher.  A lot of money for a mediocre WR that simply adds to the cap problem down the road.  The Brown deal actually makes more sense as it is only a 1 year deal for $5 mil.  Grant's numbers aren't worth the money the Raven's are giving up.  This looks like a desperation move to not be shut out of the WR market.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a lot of money. But the contracts being handed out are insane.

Grant is better than Campanaro. Great ST player too.

If Brown can stay healthy, he'll contribute. Probably the best WR on the roster. Staying healthy with sickle cell will be tough though, but he's done it before. Still just 27.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mdrunning said:

I'm sure Baltimore's relatively close proximity to Harper's Ferry sealed the deal.:)

I can't believe someone else had the same nerdy thought as me :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, NCBirdfan said:

The Ravens acquire receivers the same way the Orioles acquire pitchers.

I was about to ask who you the hell is he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Four years for $29 million with $14.5 million guaranteed and a $10 million signing bonus. That sounds like a massive over-reach for a guy most people probably had to google.

I had to google him. The Ravens are getting to O’s level front office wise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Grant deal is an illustration of "like the player, but hate the contract."  With $14.5 million guaranteed, a likely corresponding move will be a restructure(s) of existing contracts. The kick-the-can-down-the-road approach is one reason why the Ravens are typically shopping off the rack at free agency time. 

I guess the upside here is that Grant isn't some 30+ retread on the downside of his career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you can't draft, you have to go shopping at the store. Things are expensive at the store. Kick the can down the road is spot on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cprenegade said:

Grant isn't a bad receiver but he is hardly a "big splash" play maker.  He is more of the same of what the Ravens already have.  A 4 year $29 million deal for a receiver who has been in the league 4 years and amassed a whopping total of 985 career yards and 6 career TDs?  I looked around for the reaction just to see if I am missing something and the reaction from most of the analysts are that the signing is a head scratcher.  A lot of money for a mediocre WR that simply adds to the cap problem down the road.  The Brown deal actually makes more sense as it is only a 1 year deal for $5 mil.  Grant's numbers aren't worth the money the Raven's are giving up.  This looks like a desperation move to not be shut out of the WR market.  

embarrassing signings-back in the bargain basement again.  Keep the money, give it Jensen and draft, draft, draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This off season is a perfect storm against teams that need WR help.  There weren't very many blue chip FAs available and this years draft is not considered very good for WRs.  So the available big names went quick, and the mediocre ones are getting overpaid.  Ryan Grant is getting paid $29 million for a 4 year body of work that includes 985 yards and 6 TDs.  To put that in perspective, Pittsburgh's rookie, Smith Schuster, had 917 yards and 7 TDs in his rookie season.  The LA Ram's rookie, Cooper Kupp, had 869 yards and 5 TDs in his rookie season.  Ryan Grant was ranked 67th in Wide receiving yardage last year.  I just don't see how that is an upgrade.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I was about to ask who you the hell is he?

Honestly, I never heard of Ryan Grant until the Ravens signed him for millions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

Honestly, I never heard of Ryan Grant until the Ravens signed him for millions.

desperate times call for desperate measures...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, weird-O said:

When you can't draft, you have to go shopping at the store. Things are expensive at the store. Kick the can down the road is spot on. 

Jeremy Maclin has been released, thus saving some $5 million in cap space, although I'm wondering if that amount could ultimately be reduced since Maclin was hurt at the end of last year. If he hadn't been medically cleared at the time of his release, the Ravens could be on the hook for a $1.1 million (I think) Injury Protection Benefit, which would count against this season's cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

Jeremy Maclin has been released, thus saving some $5 million in cap space, although I'm wondering if that amount could ultimately be reduced since Maclin was hurt at the end of last year. If he hadn't been medically cleared at the time of his release, the Ravens could be on the hook for a $1.1 million (I think) Injury Protection Benefit, which would count against this season's cap.

Sad. I was so excited when he was signed last season. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another free agent bust.

Ozzie has really lost his touch. Both in free agency and the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, the Brown signing isn't bad. One year and $5 million for a guy who, when he's healthy, is one of the fastest receivers in the game. That's understandably a big "if" but at least the Ravens aren't paying a lot to find out. Grant, on the other hand, seems like someone who would have still been available by the first weekend of free agency. I didn't see the urgency to go and throw a shut-out bid at him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now