bleedingorangeandblack

John Brown Ravens Bound

50 posts in this topic

I'm sure Baltimore's relatively close proximity to Harper's Ferry sealed the deal.:)

Can he stay healthy?

The Ravens acquire receivers the same way the Orioles acquire pitchers.

Posted (edited)

Ryan Grant just agreed to terms - Flacco's salivating!

Edited by NCBirdfan

I hear they are also interested in Ryan Grant.  Not impressed with either.  It looks like they expect Wallace to go elsewhere.  These additions look like about the same talent level just with different names.  

3 hours ago, NCBirdfan said:

Ryan Grant just agreed to terms - Flacco's salivating!

Four years for $29 million with $14.5 million guaranteed and a $10 million signing bonus. That sounds like a massive over-reach for a guy most people probably had to google.

6 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Four years for $29 million with $14.5 million guaranteed and a $10 million signing bonus. That sounds like a massive over-reach for a guy most people probably had to google.

I thought it was the old Green Bay running back.

12 hours ago, alienrace said:

Can he stay healthy?

With sickle-cell anemia? Probably not.

Grant is a nice signing, although very expensive for who he is. But the contracts being handed out this offseason are MLB-esque. Crazy.

Have to think the Ravens bring in another WR through FA and then draft someone they believe can start immediately.

Grant isn't a bad receiver but he is hardly a "big splash" play maker.  He is more of the same of what the Ravens already have.  A 4 year $29 million deal for a receiver who has been in the league 4 years and amassed a whopping total of 985 career yards and 6 career TDs?  I looked around for the reaction just to see if I am missing something and the reaction from most of the analysts are that the signing is a head scratcher.  A lot of money for a mediocre WR that simply adds to the cap problem down the road.  The Brown deal actually makes more sense as it is only a 1 year deal for $5 mil.  Grant's numbers aren't worth the money the Raven's are giving up.  This looks like a desperation move to not be shut out of the WR market.  

It is a lot of money. But the contracts being handed out are insane.

Grant is better than Campanaro. Great ST player too.

If Brown can stay healthy, he'll contribute. Probably the best WR on the roster. Staying healthy with sickle cell will be tough though, but he's done it before. Still just 27.

14 hours ago, mdrunning said:

I'm sure Baltimore's relatively close proximity to Harper's Ferry sealed the deal.:)

I can't believe someone else had the same nerdy thought as me :)

15 hours ago, NCBirdfan said:

The Ravens acquire receivers the same way the Orioles acquire pitchers.

I was about to ask who you the hell is he?

12 hours ago, mdrunning said:

I had to google him. The Ravens are getting to O’s level front office wise. 

The Grant deal is an illustration of "like the player, but hate the contract."  With $14.5 million guaranteed, a likely corresponding move will be a restructure(s) of existing contracts. The kick-the-can-down-the-road approach is one reason why the Ravens are typically shopping off the rack at free agency time. 

I guess the upside here is that Grant isn't some 30+ retread on the downside of his career. 

When you can't draft, you have to go shopping at the store. Things are expensive at the store. Kick the can down the road is spot on. 

5 hours ago, cprenegade said:

Grant isn't a bad receiver but he is hardly a "big splash" play maker.  He is more of the same of what the Ravens already have.  A 4 year $29 million deal for a receiver who has been in the league 4 years and amassed a whopping total of 985 career yards and 6 career TDs?  I looked around for the reaction just to see if I am missing something and the reaction from most of the analysts are that the signing is a head scratcher.  A lot of money for a mediocre WR that simply adds to the cap problem down the road.  The Brown deal actually makes more sense as it is only a 1 year deal for $5 mil.  Grant's numbers aren't worth the money the Raven's are giving up.  This looks like a desperation move to not be shut out of the WR market.  

embarrassing signings-back in the bargain basement again.  Keep the money, give it Jensen and draft, draft, draft.

This off season is a perfect storm against teams that need WR help.  There weren't very many blue chip FAs available and this years draft is not considered very good for WRs.  So the available big names went quick, and the mediocre ones are getting overpaid.  Ryan Grant is getting paid $29 million for a 4 year body of work that includes 985 yards and 6 TDs.  To put that in perspective, Pittsburgh's rookie, Smith Schuster, had 917 yards and 7 TDs in his rookie season.  The LA Ram's rookie, Cooper Kupp, had 869 yards and 5 TDs in his rookie season.  Ryan Grant was ranked 67th in Wide receiving yardage last year.  I just don't see how that is an upgrade.  

3 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I was about to ask who you the hell is he?

Honestly, I never heard of Ryan Grant until the Ravens signed him for millions.

29 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

Honestly, I never heard of Ryan Grant until the Ravens signed him for millions.

desperate times call for desperate measures...

6 hours ago, weird-O said:

When you can't draft, you have to go shopping at the store. Things are expensive at the store. Kick the can down the road is spot on. 

Jeremy Maclin has been released, thus saving some $5 million in cap space, although I'm wondering if that amount could ultimately be reduced since Maclin was hurt at the end of last year. If he hadn't been medically cleared at the time of his release, the Ravens could be on the hook for a $1.1 million (I think) Injury Protection Benefit, which would count against this season's cap.

12 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

Jeremy Maclin has been released, thus saving some $5 million in cap space, although I'm wondering if that amount could ultimately be reduced since Maclin was hurt at the end of last year. If he hadn't been medically cleared at the time of his release, the Ravens could be on the hook for a $1.1 million (I think) Injury Protection Benefit, which would count against this season's cap.

Sad. I was so excited when he was signed last season. :(

Another free agent bust.

Ozzie has really lost his touch. Both in free agency and the draft.

Actually, the Brown signing isn't bad. One year and $5 million for a guy who, when he's healthy, is one of the fastest receivers in the game. That's understandably a big "if" but at least the Ravens aren't paying a lot to find out. Grant, on the other hand, seems like someone who would have still been available by the first weekend of free agency. I didn't see the urgency to go and throw a shut-out bid at him.