bleedingorangeandblack

John Brown Ravens Bound

50 posts in this topic

I forget who wrote this (probably Preston), he said Brown is another Perriman. Sure he's fast, but what good does it do, when he drops every other pass? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah his catch % is trending downward. Last year was ugly. 38%.

But still world's better than Perriman's 28%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Sad. I was so excited when he was signed last season. :(

It probably won't happen, because despite his lack of production here, he is a professional, but I'd love to hear his take on why it didn't work out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Struds said:

It probably won't happen, because despite his lack of production here, he is a professional, but I'd love to hear his take on why it didn't work out.

So would I. The one obvious reason s is he only played 12 games because of injuries. The play calling didn't help either. I mean Ben Watson had the most catches but didn't even average 9 yards per catch.  Even Mike Wallace had 20 less catches than 2016

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

So would I. The one obvious reason s is he only played 12 games because of injuries. The play calling didn't help either. I mean Ben Watson had the most catches but didn't even average 9 yards per catch.  Even Mike Wallace had 20 less catches than 2016

From what I've been reading, the Ravens didn't like his attitude and he seemed to be just playing out the string instead of trying to contribute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2018 at 4:11 PM, NCBirdfan said:

Honestly, I never heard of Ryan Grant until the Ravens signed him for millions.

Good bye Grant. We never knew you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryan Grant failed his physical, Crabtree coming in tomrrow.  Ebron in talks.  Crabtree would be a good fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, alienrace said:

Ryan Grant failed his physical, Crabtree coming in tomrrow.  Ebron in talks.  Crabtree would be a good fit.

I'll take both please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

34 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

I'll take both please.

Something tells me the Ravens borrowed the Orioles doctors in the Grant case.

Edited by NCBirdfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

Something tells me the Ravens borrowed the Orioles doctors in the Grant case.

I'm not complaining

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bmore_ken said:

I'm not complaining

Me either. Maybe they were drunk when they signed him and sobered up and used the "didn't pass the physical" out. And yes, I'll take Crabtree and Ebron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange that Grant would fail a physical because teams usually have a good idea of a player's health before reaching an agreement. Grant never missed a game due to injury in his four years with the Redskins, and from what I've read, the concern is an ankle injury incurred during Washington's 2017 season-finale. 

Or, maybe the Ravens just contacted the Orioles for the name and number of the doctor who does their physicals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

53 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

Me either. Maybe they were drunk when they signed him and sobered up and used the "didn't pass the physical" out. And yes, I'll take Crabtree and Ebron.

Ebron drops too many passes. 

 

 

Edited by mdrunning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

I'll take both please.

you and me both Ken!  I consider it a lucky break for the Raven's getting out of the Grant signing.

Edited by mikemor1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Ryan Grant failing his physical is a huge break for the Ravens.  Mainly because they don't have the cap space to be that generous with their money.  But it still leaves them needing an upgrade badly at that position without any real prospects out there via FA.  Ebron is a TE and could be a decent upgrade over Williams and Watson, but he isn't elite level.  Crabtree is basically no more than Wallace.  Same age, similar stats.  The idea is to get better.  Losing a 30 year old wide receiver with 8072 career yards and 57 career TDs only to acquire another 30 year old receiver with 6870 career yards and 51 TDs is not an upgrade to me.  At best it is maintaining the status quo.  At this point the only way they are upgrading the WR unit for next season is either to package some draft picks and maybe some defensive talent together and make a trade for a good WR, or draft the next superstar WR.  It is against their policy to give away picks to get proven talent so that is not likely.  And we have seen their track record on WRs in the draft.  So the realization is that the Raven's will likely have a passing game next year that is little better than it was last year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

I think Ryan Grant failing his physical is a huge break for the Ravens.  Mainly because they don't have the cap space to be that generous with their money.  But it still leaves them needing an upgrade badly at that position without any real prospects out there via FA.  Ebron is a TE and could be a decent upgrade over Williams and Watson, but he isn't elite level.  Crabtree is basically no more than Wallace.  Same age, similar stats.  The idea is to get better.  Losing a 30 year old wide receiver with 8072 career yards and 57 career TDs only to acquire another 30 year old receiver with 6870 career yards and 51 TDs is not an upgrade to me.  At best it is maintaining the status quo.  At this point the only way they are upgrading the WR unit for next season is either to package some draft picks and maybe some defensive talent together and make a trade for a good WR, or draft the next superstar WR.  It is against their policy to give away picks to get proven talent so that is not likely.  And we have seen their track record on WRs in the draft.  So the realization is that the Raven's will likely have a passing game next year that is little better than it was last year.  

There’s nothing left out there that would be an upgrade at receiver. So they should do nothing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bmore_ken said:

There’s nothing left out there that would be an upgrade at receiver. So they should do nothing?

I think I made it clear that the only way to upgrade is packaging draft picks and maybe some defensive help in a trade to a team willing to trade a receiver that would be an upgrade.  Either that or hit the next big receiver in the draft.  They have to do something because Maclin is gone, and if they are moving on from Wallace, they have no WRs that can even be considered decent #2s.  Plus it looks like they won't even have Danny Woodhead who at least was a good safety outlet for Flacco.  At this point they might as well just bring back Wallace.  At least he knows the system.  My point is that no matter what they do, don't expect the passing game to get much better next year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I agree with the above that bringing in Crabtree or whoever else is likely going to be just treading water. Crabtree has had a decent career, but he'll also be 31 by the start of the season, and is coming off one of the worst seasons of his career. He's also developed a bit of reputation as a problem child at his last two stops. If he signs here, hopefully he'll have something left in the tank, but there's the possibility that last year could be a harbinger of things to come.

In the NFL, the skill position players who become free agents typically are at the point in their careers where they can still be contributors, but not the main difference makers. Trying to build through free agency is oftentimes a losing proposition.

Edited by mdrunning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Your leading receiver averaged 8 per catch. Your third leading receiver averaged 5. There’s your problem. Is it the OC or QB? Because with those numbers Randy Moss and Megatron in their prime couldn’t fix that. 

Edited by bmore_ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Strange that Grant would fail a physical because teams usually have a good idea of a player's health before reaching an agreement. Grant never missed a game due to injury in his four years with the Redskins, and from what I've read, the concern is an ankle injury incurred during Washington's 2017 season-finale. 

Or, maybe the Ravens just contacted the Orioles for the name and number of the doctor who does their physicals.

Yea the internet is full of buyer remorse conspiracy theories .....

The biggest overpay of free agency is voided as soon as Crabtree is cut .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Yea the internet is full of buyer remorse conspiracy theories .....

The biggest overpay of free agency is voided as soon as Crabtree is cut .....

Physical exams can be somewhat subjective, and the thresholds can vary from team to team.

I do agree that a bit of buyer's remorse could have come into play here. A real medical finding coupled with the team not exactly doing cartwheels over the signing could have led to the failed result. Conversely, if a team is amped up over a particular signing, they're willing to accept any potential medical risks. Allen Robinson, who is coming off knee surgery this past season, can't even run at this point, yet the Bears gave him a huge contract and said they expect him to be ready by the start of training camp.

This isn't unprecedented. A dozen years ago, the Dolphins were set to sign Drew Brees to a free-agent contract, but they felt that his surgically repaired shoulder hadn't progressed enough to the point to justify the financial exposure, so the deal was nixed. The Saints, however, were willing to absorb the risk and ultimately signed Brees to a six-year, $60 million contract.

Edited by mdrunning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

who is the offensive coordinator and qb coach this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, daravenator said:

who is the offensive coordinator and qb coach this year

Same OC as last year, I have no idea who the QB coach is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked the Grant signing, not the money.

Give me a guy who catches 70% of his targets any day.

And his 9.7 yards per target was nice too.

He would have helped us move the chains for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now