Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FatBoy

Stephen Hawking, renowned scientist, dies at 76

50 posts in this topic

Amazing mind. 

I read his Brief History of Time when it came out. Never felt so inadequate. Minds like his are hard to grasp.

RIP.

Amazing indeed, FatBoy.  I remember being in grad school and people wondering how much longer Hawking had in the 80's.  He had a pretty good long run.  

And yes, Ms Maggie, that is a great little book.  That is really hard to get your mind around.  8 years post grad physics and it seems no closer than when I was in Junior High.  

But allow me to recommend something very accessible and yet amusing.  Mr Tompkins in Wonderland, or anything else by George Gamow.  Gamow was an amazing mind as well, but able to connect with those of us that are, uh, less amazing.  He ended up at the University of Colorado.  

There are so many of those guys I would have loved to see speak.  I was in 8th grade when Gamow passed.  I was in grad school in Austin when Feynman gave a talk and I never knew it,  I had bought his Lecture Series as a midshipman.  

And I have on my mantle a picture of one of my students who traveled to England and sought out Hawking and had a picture taken with him kneeling next to Hawking's wheel chair.  

I wish I could do it.  But at least I can appreciate it.  I once ran into Stephen Weinberg in an Austin bookstore. As close as I will ever come to a Nobel Prize.  

From boyhood, I have wanted to know how things work.  My Schwinn 2 speed didn't fare too well.  

Posted (edited)

And now he knows everything. 

Or at least the answer to the biggest question of all.

Edited by prodigalson1

18 minutes ago, prodigalson1 said:

And now he knows everything. 

Or at least the answer to the biggest question of all.

I had that same thought.

He died on Pi Day and the anniversary of Albert Einstein’s birth.

an incredible mind and an incredible live well lived despite his illness. RIP

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

I had that same thought.

I didn't even think of that 3/14, looks like sometime early AM GMT over there in the UK, I haven't found the exact time yet. Never read his "Brief History" but think I'll try to pick up a copy. Lawrence Krauss's "A Universe from Nothing" bent my mind enough. How these guys wrap their heads around the Quantum Theory stuff is beyond me. It's Mind Boggling. It's there then it isn't then it's there again, no wait now it isn't. It's Incredible. Someone call Elon to stick him in the drivers seat in another Tesla and launch him in the next Falcon Heavy!

Edited by Bartman

31 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

I had that same thought.

I'm a big fan of his.

He held the same position at Cambridge as Isaac Newton. 

I'm proud to have breathed the same air with such a great and historic man.

🙂

A great loss to the world but, wow, what a legacy.  RIP, Sir.

Rest in peace, friend.

Hawking Quote on Death:

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

So who am I to contradict that? Pretty much my feelings on the subject as well.

8 minutes ago, Bartman said:

Hawking Quote on Death:

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

The only way to know what happens when you die is to die.

Anyone living on earth who claims they know what happens when we die and can't prove it or demonstrate it for the rest of us don't really know what happens when we die.

But we are all free to believe what we want about death. 

29 minutes ago, Bartman said:

Hawking Quote on Death:

I'm not sure how anyone could prove or disprove an after life. Hawkins' was without a doubt an incredibly smart man. But there are some things humans cannot possibly know for sure which is why religions are faith based. One thing Hawkins' and the Bible had in common; they both see/saw a destructive end to the world as we know it. 

12 minutes ago, prodigalson1 said:

The only way to know what happens when you die is to die.

Anyone living on earth who claims they know what happens when we die and can't prove it or demonstrate it for the rest of us don't really know what happens when we die.

But we are all free to believe what we want about death. 

According to the Bible people who die fall into a deep sleep until judgement day. So even after death we may still not know what happens after death.

1 minute ago, flyboy56 said:

According to the Bible people who die fall into a deep sleep until judgement day. So even after death we may still not know what happens after death.

According to the Bible snakes can talk, disobedient wives can be turned to salt, and virgins can give birth.

We are free to believe what we choose to believe and from where and whom we choose to believe it.

The only way to know what happens at death is to die. If nothing happens you'll never know it.

I believe consciousness survives death. I just can't prove it.

14 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

Could you supply me with that chapter and verse? I'd like to read it for myself.

R.I.P. Prof Hawking, your contribution to science and physics was immense, you will be much missed.

Posted (edited)

Religion and everything aside, what I want to know is why can't I get a Chinese Hearse like This when I go?

http://i.imgur.com/EhHr435.jpg

Edited by Bartman

Thank you Mr Hawking.

Condolences to his loved ones.

What a great loss....as I understand it he was pretty much contributing to science right to the very end. 

RIP. 

2 hours ago, WKDWZD said:

Could you supply me with that chapter and verse? I'd like to read it for myself.

John 11:11-14. Jesus tells his disciples "that Lazarus our friend has fallen asleep." Also found in Acts 7:60 and 1 Corinthians 15:6.

2 hours ago, prodigalson1 said:

According to the Bible snakes can talk, disobedient wives can be turned to salt, and virgins can give birth.

We are free to believe what we choose to believe and from where and whom we choose to believe it.

The only way to know what happens at death is to die. If nothing happens you'll never know it.

I believe consciousness survives death. I just can't prove it.

The Bible is chocked full of stories. But not all of what is in the Bible is Scripture which is the sacred writings. 

Terrible! RIP, Mr. Hawking. :( Brilliant mind.