JoyinMudville

Is Trump Going to Stand With Our Strongest Ally and NATO Member Or Is He Going to Cover For Putin?

37 posts in this topic

High-level contacts with Russia to be cancelled, May says

May is now turning to diplomatic relations.

• May says high-level contacts with Russia will be cancelled. The invitation to Sergei Lavrov, the foreign minister, to visit the UK has been withdrawn. And ministers and dignitaries will not be attending the World Cup.

May says other measures may be taken which will not be publicised.

She says the UK wanted a better relationship with Russia.

It is “tragic” that President Putin has acted like this, she says.

She says the UK does not stand alone. She has spoken to allies who are backing the UK.

It is pushing for a debate at the UN, she says.

She says the government is also trying to ensure the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons can verify what the UK claims.

By the way, this is what a strong response to Russian espionage looks like.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/mar/14/pmqs-may-corbyn-russia-spy-poisoning-uk-it-will-face-equal-reaction-if-may-punishes-it-for-salisbury-spy-attack-politics-live

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/13/trump-demands-russia-provide-unambiguous-answers-on-nerve-agent-attack-in-uk.html

Trump's immediate response was reported yesterday.  Seems pretty straight forward. 

The non-TDS story is what, if anything, Britain can and will really do to punish Putin and Russia.  Putin basically let the deadline pass and told the UK to pound sand with their demands.

1 hour ago, Ode2Joy said:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/13/trump-demands-russia-provide-unambiguous-answers-on-nerve-agent-attack-in-uk.html

Trump's immediate response was reported yesterday.  Seems pretty straight forward. 

The non-TDS story is what, if anything, Britain can and will really do to punish Putin and Russia.  Putin basically let the deadline pass and told the UK to pound sand with their demands.

I'm glad he supports the UK. Too bad he doesn't support his own congress and enforced the sanctions bill they passed and he signed. Oh well, maybe next time.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-russia-sanctions/trump-administration-holds-off-on-new-russia-sanctions-despite-law-idUSKBN1FI2V7

7 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

So let me get this straight. Whose spy was poisoned? 

Russia conducted a chemical attack on British soil killing 2 and wounding more than 20. It is not the first time the Russians have staged attacks on British soil.

The United Kingdom is a NATO ally. Read Article V of the NATO charter.

As usual Trump leaves open the chance that some fat guy in bed did this. He's either 1) dithering untrustworthy imbecile or 2) Putin's biotch.

On Tuesday, Trump echoed Sanders’ line, saying he stands with Britain but refusing to unequivocally support its assessment on Russia. “It sounds to me like it would be Russia based on all of the evidence they have. I don’t know if they’ve come to a conclusion,” Trump said outside the White House. “As soon as we get the facts straight, if we agree with them, we will condemn Russia or whoever it may be.”

Experts on the “special relationship” between Britain and the United States note that the two share intelligence information, making it striking that Trump would imply the U.S. might not agree with its conclusions or that it might not have its “facts straight.”

“It is unusual — and disappointing from the British perspective — for the President not to publicly back the British assessment, especially on such a sensitive issue,” says Rory Cormac, associate professor of international relations at University of Nottingham. “It perhaps raises questions about how much he trusts British assessments, which the U.K. must feel are fairly conclusive otherwise Prime Minister May wouldn’t have gone public so quickly.”

http://time.com/5199120/british-spy-poisoning-russia-donald-trump/

4 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

Russia conducted a chemical attack on British soil killing 2 and wounding more than 20. It is not the first time the Russians have staged attacks on British soil.

The United Kingdom is a NATO ally. Read Article V of the NATO charter.

Please tell me you don’t really believe this rises to the level of Article V.

Just now, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Letting a nerve agent loose in a foreign country can be viewed as an act of war. Certainly its a hostile act of one country towards another.  It warrants reaction for sure (unlike here where the West Wing fellow travelers seem unwilling to impugn Putin). Glad to see the British still have grit unlike us.

5 minutes ago, zenwalk said:

Letting a nerve agent loose in a foreign country can be viewed as an act of war. Certainly its a hostile act of one country towards another.  It warrants reaction for sure (unlike here where the West Wing fellow travelers seem unwilling to impugn Putin). Glad to see the British still have grit unlike us.

I suppose you think youare correct, however the 9/11 attacks were the last serious examples of Article. 5.  If you want to consider  the poisoning incident as an Article 5 attack, then why not the sarin attacks in Japan, the attacks on Charlie Hebdo, the anthrax attacks as well as the bombings of embassies of various countries around the world?

Get real. :rolleyes:

You would have a very hard time convincing anyone in the military trade that this even approached an act of war.

The Brits did pretty much all they could do; throw a few folks out and reduce diplomatic relations.

Posted (edited)

36 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

I suppose you think youare correct, however the 9/11 attacks were the last serious examples of Article. 5.  If you want to consider  the poisoning incident as an Article 5 attack, then why not the sarin attacks in Japan, the attacks on Charlie Hebdo, the anthrax attacks as well as the bombings of embassies of various countries around the world?

Which of those were state sponsored? 911? We didn't attack the Saudis, we attacked Iraq. May as well have attacked Ecuador. The sarin attack was homegrown as I recall. Charlie Hebdo was a terrorist attack.   

I didn't call for a NATO response. Merely pointed out that it was a hostile act of one country against another. What they do is their business. At least they are contemplating what to do unlike Putin's lazy biotch boy in the Oval Office.

Edited by zenwalk

This has to be a trick question OP....it has to be....the answer is so obvious. 

11 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

Trump on Putin

""But he's a killer," O'Reilly said to Trump."

""There are a lot of killers. You think our country's so innocent?" Trump replied."

https://www.cnn.com/2017/02/04/politics/donald-trump-vladimir-putin/index.html

Just now, blowboatbethesda said:

So you agree Trump stands with Putin.  

1 minute ago, EGoldstein said:

So you agree Trump stands with Putin.  

I agree that nothing here is new.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

It isn't really about repelling the Red Army as it crosses the English Channel anymore, MOR; times have changed. But, one country coming into your country to kill people is still considered very bad form.

Edited by hst2

1 hour ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Japan isn't a NATO ally

Read a book. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

The Brits did pretty much all they could do; throw a few folks out and reduce diplomatic relations.

And yet you routinely lambast Obama for taking very similar actions.

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

And yet you routinely lambast Obama for taking very similar actions.

Because Obama had more options and power at his disposal than did PM May.  Because Obama blew the Ukraine, Libya and Syria. Because Obama’s idea of taking a stand was voting present.  Because Obama’s response to the Russian intrusion into our elections, a threat far more insidious and dangerous than attacking a couple of Russian ex-pats, was what it was.

The UK PM took what actions she could, Obama didn’t.

Edited by MiddleOfTheRoad

27 minutes ago, hst2 said:

It isn't really about repelling the Red Army as it crosses the English Channel anymore, MOR; times have changed. But, one country coming into your country to kill people is still considered very bad form.

Sure is bad form, but it is still no where near an Article V action.  Not even in the same zip code.

7 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Sure is bad form, but it is still no where near an Article V action.  Not even in the same zip code.

As usual, let me know when they reach an acceptable threshold.

4 minutes ago, hst2 said:

As usual, let me know when they reach an acceptable threshold.

Sure.  I’ll send you a PM.

Looks like Obama had it right when he booted the diplomats, probably stopped the murderous little poisoners from killing lots of Americans.