Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mdrunning

Ravens Sign Michael Crabtree

35 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Pending a physical, I would presume.

According to Zeff Zrebiec, of The Sun, the deal is for three years and $21 million. Ian Rappaport is reporting that Crabtree gets $15 million the first two years, and it could be up to $20 million. There is a reported guarantee of $11 million.

Not a bad move, and for roughly the same money over a two-year term that the Ravens would have given Ryan Grant.

Edited by mdrunning

Now we're talking.

I would re-sign Mike Wallace.

Crabtree

Wallace

Brown

Pretty good 3-some.

Posted (edited)

Unless Marty balances the play calling and uses his RBs, I doubt it matters who runs the routes... they'll still be predictable, the OL will struggle to maintain pass protection having to do it 50 times a game against pass rushers with no fear of letting a RB get by them, and they'll still be easy to cover.

Edited by Ravens2006

The doctor who gave grant his physical could turn out to be the ravens mvp next year .....

Saved the bumblers from theirselves......

2 hours ago, Rob said:

I would re-sign Mike Wallace.

Crabtree

Wallace

Brown

Pretty good 3-some.

No, the Ravens need a No. 1 receiver, and you typically find those guys in the draft, not via free agency.

If the Ravens should bring back Wallace, or Eric Ebron or whoever, that will virtually guarantee they won't use their top two or three picks in the draft on skill positions. They should still address those needs regardless of who they bring in as free agents. 

Personally I think the Ravens haven't upgraded anything.  They have simply exchanged players with about the same stats.  The names on the jersey change, but the production expectations are about the same.  Maybe the new guys do better than the old guys, but from a statistical purpose I don't see any reason why they would.  The guy I would have targeted was Gabriel from Atlanta.  Younger, with more of an upside.  Maybe it works out.  I'm not sure what the plan was considering they were all in on Ryan Grant and if he doesn't fail his physical then Crabtree probably isn't even on the radar.  Seems like they are just switching out receivers hoping that one of them will make their offense better.  

Ozzie said they were pursuing Crabtree regardless of Grant.  I'd re-sign Wallace and draft DJ Moore.  That would be a solid group.

16 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

Unless Marty balances the play calling and uses his RBs, I doubt it matters who runs the routes... they'll still be predictable, the OL will struggle to maintain pass protection having to do it 50 times a game against pass rushers with no fear of letting a RB get by them, and they'll still be easy to cover.

I agree. Last year I thought Wallace, Maclin, and Perriman looked good on paper. Then Ben Watson and Buck Allen combined for over 100 short yardage catches. 

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, cprenegade said:

They have simply exchanged players with about the same stats.  The names on the jersey change, but the production expectations are about the same.  

Crabtree is one year removed from a thousand yard season. His problem will be the QB and play calling.

Edited by bmore_ken

3 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Crabtree is one year removed from a thousand yard season. His problem will be the QB and play calling.

So was Jeremy Maclin when the Ravens acquired him last year.  And they are roughly the same age, both having come into the league in 2009.

9 hours ago, alienrace said:

Ozzie said they were pursuing Crabtree regardless of Grant.  I'd re-sign Wallace and draft DJ Moore.  That would be a solid group.

I saw where he said they would have had interest in Crabtree whether or not Grant passed his physical.  I'm not so sure I buy that.  Both the Grant contract and Crabtree contract would have pushed the Ravens on cap space and they still need money for their draft picks.  If they are going to re-sign Wallace, it will have to be cheap.  I don't think the Ravens can afford to wrap up a whole lot more into the WR position considering their cap situation.  

You can always sign a guy regardless of the cap situation, but those actions will have consequences, namely in terms of larger cap liabilities as the contract progresses. 

I compare it to buying on margin. If and when those margin calls come in, the buyer is going to find themselves in a quite a pickle. In Vegas, they call it "Gambler's Ruin."

As expected, Ryan Jensen is moving on from the Ravens.

Jensen signed a four-year, $42 million contract with the Buccaneers, with $22 million reportedly guaranteed.

9 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Jensen signed a four-year, $42 million contract with the Buccaneers, with $22 million reportedly guaranteed.

My Lord!  

On 3/17/2018 at 6:21 PM, cprenegade said:

So was Jeremy Maclin when the Ravens acquired him last year.  And they are roughly the same age, both having come into the league in 2009.

And the problem was playing calling and the QB. Why do you think MIke Wallace had 20 less receptions than 2016 and the top receiver was a TE that averaged 8 yard per catch?

17 hours ago, mdrunning said:

7 hours ago, alienrace said:

My Lord!  

That's an insane contract. The NFL is getting like MLB.  Actually MLB is getting better in that area. 

Crabtree is a solid RZ threat. Now go get Ebron.

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

Darn.

We really do need help at TE.

Yes, but Ebron probably wasn't the answer. 

13 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

The best of what was available and an upgrade over what we have now.

22 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

Maybe, maybe not. But he had potential, which is more than you can say about any other TE candidate on our roster or available in FA.

7 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Maybe, maybe not. But he had potential, which is more than you can say about any other TE candidate on our roster or available in FA.

Potential is a French word meaning "not worth a damn." Ebron never lived up to that potential in Detroit, which is why they cut the cord. He's essentially a bigger and faster version of Ed Dickson. 

1 minute ago, mdrunning said:

Potential is a French word meaning "not worth a damn." Ebron never lived up to that potential in Detroit, which is why they cut the cord. He's essentially a bigger and faster version of Ed Dickson. 

Well, that's like your opinion, man.

Ebron is still just 25, and catches 60-70% of his targets.

Dickson is a 30 y/o blocking TE who in 8 years has less receiving yards than Ebron does in 4.