Woodbuchr

Does anyone know why an amendment to SB1122 that would have given $125 million to school safety was voted down?

66 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

That's already on the books.  You forfeit any registered firearm if the cops even come to your house on a domestic call.

That's written in the Maryland firearm registration handbook.

I guess someone should inform the governor, since he apparently doesn't know that.

12 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

I guess someone should inform the governor, since he apparently doesn't know that.

Maybe there is a hole in the existing law.  But I can quote the sentence in the form I signed off on when I purchased a handgun last year that was clear as a bell that you will forfeit your registered firearm if you are suspected of domestic abuse. Not convicted, suspected.

16 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Maybe there is a hole in the existing law.  But I can quote the sentence in the form I signed off on when I purchased a handgun last year that was clear as a bell that you will forfeit your registered firearm if you are suspected of domestic abuse. Not convicted, suspected.

I'm taking your word for it. 

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Whatever.

After reading up about it, it's more about not using existing laws of forfeiture for domestic abuse cases and they needed language to strengthen the law. 

Edited by jonsensback

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, jonsensback said:

That's already on the books.  You forfeit any registered firearm if the cops even come to your house on a domestic call.

That's written in the Maryland firearm registration handbook.

Link? I googled this handbook there is none that I can find by that title.

I took the extra step.....is it somewhere in this link. Which one is it....you seem to have recently read it so you should be able to pick it out in a second. Thanks in advance.

http://www.mdsp.maryland.gov/Pages/Downloads.aspx

Edited by Guido2

33 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

I'm not.^^^^^^^^ see above.post.

12 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

I'm not.^^^^^^^^ see above.post.

I pick my battles, this one I don't choose to engage in.

30 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

I pick my battles, this one I don't choose to engage in.

In some ways you ARE smarter than me. :D

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Not exactly what I was talking about signing when I did get my handgun but this where it originally came from.  

That says after a judge hearing, the weapon can be confiscated. Not on the scene. In Title 4.  Unless you can point out what I'm missing

Edited by bmore_ken

4 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

That says after a judge hearing, the weapon can be confiscated. Not on the scene. In Title 4.  Unless you can point out what I'm missing

§ 4-511. Removing firearm from scene  (a) In general. – When responding to the scene of an alleged act of domestic violence, as described in this subtitle, a law enforcement officer may remove a firearm from the scene if: (1) the law enforcement officer has probable cause to believe that an act of domestic violence has occurred; and (2) the law enforcement officer has observed the firearm on the scene during the response. (b) Duty of law enforcement officer. – If a firearm is removed from the scene under subsection (a) of this section, the law enforcement officer shall: (1) provide to the owner of the firearm information on the process for retaking possession of the firearm; and (2) provide for the safe storage of the firearm during the pendency of any proceeding related to the alleged act of domestic violence. (c) When owner may resume possession. – At the conclusion of a proceeding on the alleged act of domestic violence, the owner of the firearm may retake possession of the firearm unless ordered to surrender the firearm under § 4-506 of this subtitle.

Pretty much leaves it to the officers discretion.  And with that an officer would be a fool not to.

11 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Pretty much leaves it to the officers discretion.  And with that an officer would be a fool not to.

It says the officer has to see the firearm on the scene. That doesn’t sound like what the gov was talking about. 

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

It says the officer has to see the firearm on the scene. That doesn’t sound like what the gov was talking about. 

I would think the first thing a cop will ask you on a domestic violence case is "do own any firearms". After asking that question he has the authority to take any firearms you have.

It's a no brainer if you have a gun on the scene in the commission of any crime that it will be taken from you.

My point is there is already laws on the books that cover this like many other gun laws.

I will pull my HQL packet later because it was more than clear that you would lose your firearm automatically in a domestic abuse call if you have a registered firearm. 

Edited by jonsensback

19 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

I would think the first thing a cop will ask you on a domestic violence case is "do own any firearms". After asking that question he has the authority to take any firearms you have.

Even if he does, what you posted doesn't appear to empower an officer to confiscate a weapon because it's in the house somewhere. What you posted says the officer has to see the weapon on the scene. Not only that, if the person says they have no weapon, is the officer going to perform a house search? Sounds like an illegal search.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:23 PM, Marshan Man said:

Opinion based on what?

Ahhh you do read the paper....you do note the age of many of those shot....hint....school age. 

Which considering that most kids can't read above or calculate numbers above middle school level while in HS.....well that age could be over 20. 

Well yeah it is an opion that doesn't even warrant links and facts.

Sort of like needing links and facts to prove we need air to live ....type facts.