Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CROUSEMAN

Mike Wright jr

21 posts in this topic

Wright got shelled today against the Red Sox.  Only made it 4.1 IP.  Gave up 10 hits and 7 runs.  He wasn't very good last time out either.  Seems like he gets into that 3rd and 4th inning and the wheels fall off. Door wide open for the fifth starter and he can't grab it.   He just doesn't have it as a starter.  Guess that's stating the obvious.  I'd almost hang on to the Cortes kid over Wright if they have to choose.  They probably can keep both until Cobb comes up.  I guess give Wright one more shot in the pen and hope he doesn't break down with the more frequent use like he did last year.

On the bright side Aroujo and Rodriguez lights out again coming out of pen. The rule 5 kid looks like he has made team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming Cobb has been working out and throwing regularly (a safe assumption I hope) Wright and every other "competitor" for the 5th spot are irrelevant. Which if them most helps the BP is now the focus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Struds said:

Assuming Cobb has been working out and throwing regularly (a safe assumption I hope) Wright and every other "competitor" for the 5th spot are irrelevant. Which if them most helps the BP is now the focus.

Well its a pretty fair bet we will need more than 5 starters this year.  Tilly could implode or come up lame at a drop of the hat.  Most teams use 6 or 7 starters for a year due to injury or ineffectiveness or rainout doubleheaders. O's have used 20 different starters the last 2 years.  Yikes!  So the other 5th starter candidates better strap in and be ready.

But in the near term yeah who fits the BP is a big consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wright is by far the WRONG choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Good point. Even with a miraculous no injury year, the occasional spot start would be needed. Does the idea of intentionally trotting out 3 would be starters for 1-3 innings  each on those occasions appeal to you?

Edited by Struds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I read of today's game, Wright looked good in the first and even hit 98 mph with one pitch. Afterward though, he threw mostly cutters and sliders, sort of like a veteran pitcher who was working on things rather than a guy who needed to make an impression.

I think Wright can be a useful one-inning or so bullpen piece; just run him in there and let him air it out. Thing is, the Orioles never really gave him enough time to either find himself or bomb as a reliever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mdrunning said:

From what I read of today's game, Wright looked good in the first and even hit 98 mph with one pitch. Afterward though, he threw mostly cutters and sliders, sort of like a veteran pitcher who was working on things rather than a guy who needed to make an impression.

I think Wright can be a useful one-inning or so bullpen piece; just run him in there and let him air it out. Thing is, the Orioles never really gave him enough time to either find himself or bomb as a reliever. 

Yeah that's Wrights story .  Looks good for an inning or two than implodes.  Agree they have never given him the time to adjust to a shorter relief role.  Always have him stashed at AAA on a starters routine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Yeah that's Wrights story .  Looks good for an inning or two than implodes.  Agree they have never given him the time to adjust to a shorter relief role.  Always have him stashed at AAA on a starters routine.

This is just the impression that he's given me. But I don't think he's got the make up to have success in pressure situations. I would have a hard time trusting him to close. Or even to bring him in middle relief, with the tying of go ahead runner at the plate. 

Statistically speaking, he shows himself to be good for one trip through the line up. If a batter sees him a second time, he's got his number. 

If there's a scenario where they can keep him, without giving up on another arm, then so be it. But 'd rather have a prospect with promise, than Wright. The guy just turned 28, I don't think the O's would be accused of giving up on him too soon, if they cut bait.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, weird-O said:

This is just the impression that he's given me. But I don't think he's got the make up to have success in pressure situations. I would have a hard time trusting him to close. Or even to bring him in middle relief, with the tying of go ahead runner at the plate. 

Statistically speaking, he shows himself to be good for one trip through the line up. If a batter sees him a second time, he's got his number. 

If there's a scenario where they can keep him, without giving up on another arm, then so be it. But 'd rather have a prospect with promise, than Wright. The guy just turned 28, I don't think the O's would be accused of giving up on him too soon, if they cut bait.   

Good points.  Didn't realize the guy is 28 now.  Geez he is into journeyman/AAAA territory now.  Agree it would be a shame if they send Cortes back to Yanks in order to hang on to this guy. Just reading Buck's comments yesterday it sounds like he thinks Wright can still help this team in some role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try him in the Tommy Hunter role. Bring him into a game where we have a three run lead and he'll get you an out or two before it's a tie game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Try him in the Tommy Hunter role. Bring him into a game where we have a three run lead and he'll get you an out or two before it's a tie game.

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wright = Wrong. I can't believe he's even under consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2018 at 9:25 AM, CROUSEMAN said:

Good points.  Didn't realize the guy is 28 now.  Geez he is into journeyman/AAAA territory now.  Agree it would be a shame if they send Cortes back to Yanks in order to hang on to this guy. Just reading Buck's comments yesterday it sounds like he thinks Wright can still help this team in some role.

Hate to lose Cortes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Manny said:

Hate to lose Cortes.

Me too. You can DFA Wright and he'll pass through waivers. If not, who cares.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buck still hanging on to this guy and his ERA is almost 9 now.  Buck is a moron.  Tilly and Wright.  Buck's guys.  His 4th and 5th starters coming out of spring training.  Buck wouldn't know pitching talent if it bit him on the rear end.  How is that loyalty card working Buck?  Hope you are getting some free beers at happy hour from these duds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any general manager that had any gonads would DFA these turds right now. Tillman just didn’t work out. Wright has a “track record” in MLB and it ain’t good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Buck still hanging on to this guy and his ERA is almost 9 now.  Buck is a moron.  Tilly and Wright.  Buck's guys.  His 4th and 5th starters coming out of spring training.  Buck wouldn't know pitching talent if it bit him on the rear end.  How is that loyalty card working Buck?  Hope you are getting some free beers at happy hour from these duds.

Buck’s act is tired and at this point failing. He needs to go ASAP 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pitbull said:

Any general manager that had any gonads would DFA these turds right now. Tillman just didn’t work out. Wright has a “track record” in MLB and it ain’t good.

I think the personnel moves are being done jointly between Buck and Brady, with DD sitting back laughing his arse off at these two buffoons being paralyzed by loyalty as the ship sinks.  At this point I'm actually going to enjoy Buck choking down loss after loss with :His Guys.  I could care less about this train wreck anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I think the personnel moves are being done jointly between Buck and Brady, with DD sitting back laughing his arse off at these two buffoons being paralyzed by loyalty as the ship sinks.  At this point I'm actually going to enjoy Buck choking down loss after loss with :His Guys.  I could care less about this train wreck anymore.

I don't even think Buck cares all that much anymore.  He knows he's on his way out...if not by the All-Star break(or sooner) then certainly when this "train wreck" as you put it, is finally over.  What they should do and won't is just fire him now and put him out of his misery.  Have some mercy on his soul at least.  But if he really cared, he would have lit into every player on this team by now and we both know that hasn't happened. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I think the personnel moves are being done jointly between Buck and Brady, with DD sitting back laughing his arse off at these two buffoons being paralyzed by loyalty as the ship sinks.  At this point I'm actually going to enjoy Buck choking down loss after loss with :His Guys.  I could care less about this train wreck anymore.

Opposed to us laughing at DD the last 6 years? Remember when he DFA’d, like, a dozen players in 2015? Now THAT was funny!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, pitbull said:

Opposed to us laughing at DD the last 6 years? Remember when he DFA’d, like, a dozen players in 2015? Now THAT was funny!

Yeah he has been horrid since the winter of 2014. He still is wearing his Blue Jay pajamas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0