Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cprenegade

Wallace to the Eagles

14 posts in this topic

One of the players the Eagles signed last offseason was Torrey Smith. Smith did not have huge numbers during the regular season (36 catches for 430 yards and two touchdowns) but he was excellent in both the NFC title game and the Super Bowl (10 catches, 118 yards and a touchdown), and served an important role as the "take the top off the defense" guy on the outside. Smith left Philly for the Carolina Panthersearlier this offseason, so that role needed to be filled by someone else. 

Second-year man Mack Hollins is a candidate to step up, but the Eagles just went out and signed a veteran to compete for those snaps as well. It's Mike Wallace, according to Peter Schrager of NFL Network. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-will-reportedly-sign-wide-receiver-mike-wallace-to-one-year-deal/

I've been critical of Wallace for years.  He never lived up to his numbers in Pittsburgh.  When he signed here a lot of people echoed what he said......that he didn't have a big time QB that could get him the ball in Miami and Minnesota and that's why his numbers were down.  Well, his numbers in Baltimore weren't any better.  Now he's in Philadelphia.  If he puts up big numbers under Carson Wentz then maybe it's time to admit that Flacco is more of the problem than I thought.  But on the side of defending Flacco, can he ever have back to back seasons where he is throwing to the same guys?  The Raven's FO has totally mismanaged the WR position, imo.  

Posted (edited)

59 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

I've been critical of Wallace for years.  He never lived up to his numbers in Pittsburgh.  When he signed here a lot of people echoed what he said......that he didn't have a big time QB that could get him the ball in Miami and Minnesota and that's why his numbers were down.  Well, his numbers in Baltimore weren't any better.  Now he's in Philadelphia.  If he puts up big numbers under Carson Wentz then maybe it's time to admit that Flacco is more of the problem than I thought.  But on the side of defending Flacco, can he ever have back to back seasons where he is throwing to the same guys?  The Raven's FO has totally mismanaged the WR position, imo.  

I don't think Wallace will put up huge numbers in Philly since he'll likely be the No. 3 behind Alson Jeffery and Zach Ertz. Still, one year at $2.5 million isn't a bad contract. Those are the types of deals you can make as a Super Bowl champion.

Edited by mdrunning

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, cprenegade said:

JMO, but Roethlisberger is head and shoulders above every other qb Wallace has played with. It's not even close. And to be honest, he's not a young pup any more. I don't think you can compare anything 22 year old Mike Wallace did in Pittsburgh to anything that 32 year old MIke Wallace will do in Philly. 

Edited by bmore_ken

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

JMO, but Roethlisberger is head and shoulders above every other qb Wallace has played with. It's not even close. And to be honest, he's not a young pup any more. I don't think you can compare anything 22 year old Mike Wallace did in Pittsburgh to anything that 32 year old MIke Wallace will do in Philly. 

Flacco and Wallace. Both are on the decline. If Jacoby Jones doesn't get behind Champ Bailey Flacco doesn't get a big deal and might already be playing somewhere else. 

13 hours ago, cprenegade said:

Wallace's numbers weren't any better in Baltimore?

He had 1,000 yards in 2016, first time he'd done that since 2011.  748 yards last year but the passing game wasn't exactly on fire the first half of the season. TD's were down.

He was markedly better in Baltimore than he was in MIN. Probably about as good as he was in MIA. There's a lot of mouths to feed in Philly...seriously doubt he posts the numbers there that he did here.

2 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

Flacco and Wallace. Both are on the decline. If Jacoby Jones doesn't get behind Champ Bailey Flacco doesn't get a big deal and might already be playing somewhere else. 

"If ifs were fits we would all be drunk" if Lee Evans held onto the ball....

I will say this. Steelers replaced Santonio Holmes with Wallace, and Wallace is not Holmes. See Steelers last drive vs Arizona in Super Bowl vs Steelers last drive against Packers in Super Bowl. Holmes caught everything, Wallace did not. 

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Wallace's numbers weren't any better in Baltimore?

He had 1,000 yards in 2016, first time he'd done that since 2011.  748 yards last year but the passing game wasn't exactly on fire the first half of the season. TD's were down.

He was markedly better in Baltimore than he was in MIN. Probably about as good as he was in MIA. There's a lot of mouths to feed in Philly...seriously doubt he posts the numbers there that he did here.

Yeah, I was focusing more on his TDs than yardage, but you are right he had 1,00 yards two years ago.  His TD production never matched what he did after his rookie season in Pittsburgh.  He never had less than 8 TDs.  Even in Miami he produced 5 and 10 TDs.  After that, 2 with Minnesota, and 4 each year with the Ravens.  He was better in Baltimore than he was in Minnesota, but in Minnesota he had a raw rookie QB while in Baltimore he had a super bowl winning QB.  He should have been a lot better.  Even so, after being released from Minnesota the major complaint they had was he failed to get open consistently enough downfield to allow them to let Bridgewater throw deep more often.  He probably won't have better numbers with Philadelphia because of all the other good options they have, but then he won't have to.....they are only paying him $4 million for a year.  

Edited by cprenegade

So it basically means Joe is starting over again......

Well have to hear about him getting comfortable with his receivers, finding his go to guy, etc. for the first few months ...

On 3/23/2018 at 11:49 PM, cprenegade said:

Yeah, I was focusing more on his TDs than yardage, but you are right he had 1,00 yards two years ago.  His TD production never matched what he did after his rookie season in Pittsburgh.  He never had less than 8 TDs.  Even in Miami he produced 5 and 10 TDs.  After that, 2 with Minnesota, and 4 each year with the Ravens.  He was better in Baltimore than he was in Minnesota, but in Minnesota he had a raw rookie QB while in Baltimore he had a super bowl winning QB.  He should have been a lot better.  Even so, after being released from Minnesota the major complaint they had was he failed to get open consistently enough downfield to allow them to let Bridgewater throw deep more often.  He probably won't have better numbers with Philadelphia because of all the other good options they have, but then he won't have to.....they are only paying him $4 million for a year.  

A SB winning quarterback with average stats. Trent Dilfer won a SB, it doesn't hold much water.

3 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Well have to hear about him getting comfortable with his receivers, finding his go to guy, etc. for the first few months ...

You'll probably hear it, but it won't mean squat in my opinion. We all know who Flacco is. A strong armed QB who can look like Marino one game and Ryan Leaf the next.

28 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

You'll probably hear it, but it won't mean squat in my opinion. We all know who Flacco is. A strong armed QB who can look like Marino one game and Ryan Leaf the next.

It's been a long time since he looked like Marino.....

Years .....

7 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

It's been a long time since he looked like Marino.....

Years .....

December 14, 2016  36 of 47 381 yds 4 TDS

Posted (edited)

I believe that was Dec 4 2016  .....

That was by far his best game in 2016 .....

He had 4 300 yd games that year, 1 squeaked in at 302 and 1 at 307  .....

Didn't have any 300 yd games last year ......

Edited by Eastside Terp

On 3/25/2018 at 10:20 AM, Eastside Terp said:

I hope not. Still the same OC. Upgrade at WR (hopefully) so the hope is they can hit the ground running. 5 preseason games this year too. :)