Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Struds

Catch Rule Simplified

6 posts in this topic

Good move,but long overdue. At the end of this snippet, Tomlin states what we've all known for years.

"Maybe it's too late for Jesse James and the Steelers or Zach Miller and the Bears.

No matter, the NFL has a simplified catch rule designed to eliminate confusion — and, the league hopes, controversy — about receptions.

Team owners unanimously approved the new language Tuesday, with basically three elements defining a catch:

—having control of the ball;

—getting two feet down or another body part;

—making a football move, such as taking a third step or extending the ball.

"We wanted to simplify and provide clarity," Pittsburgh coach and longtime competition committee member Mike Tomlin said. "It was time to do so after we got caught up in language that didn't do that. The language was obscure and confusing."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/03/27/its-a-catch-nfl-owners-approve-simplified-catch-language/33327447/

The big problem with the Jesse James catch was the inconsistency.  James caught the ball and reached it across the goal line.  It was then ruled no catch because as he went to the ground he spun the ball in his hands.  Yet the year before when Antonio Brown reached the ball over the goal line the refs signaled touchdown and blew the whistle immediately.  How do you justify one as a TD and not the other?  The surviving the ground rule was causing inconsistency in the rulings.  One of the Philadelphia TDs in the superbowl certainly looked like it could have been overturned.  It also was leaving fans with a bad feeling, and leading to more extended replay reviews.  Personally, I would like to see them refine replay.  If you can't immediately determine that a call was made in error, then the call on the field stands.  Seems like now they are going over replays with a fine tooth comb and extrapolating what they think they see to determine whether to overturn the call.  

11 hours ago, cprenegade said:

Personally, I would like to see them refine replay.  If you can't immediately determine that a call was made in error, then the call on the field stands.  Seems like now they are going over replays with a fine tooth comb and extrapolating what they think they see to determine whether to overturn the call.  

Absolutely. A firm time limit - say 45 seconds - should be imposed. If you have to look more carefully than that to find a reason to overturn it,the call should stand.

I don't see this as being very clarifying at all-  especially regarding end-zone issues-  I thought it was supposed to be "play over"the instant a ball, under control, breaks the plane- now they have to make a football move in the EZ as well?  I'd add the Dez Bryant playoff non-catch(?) to cpr's two. 

So is the infamous Lee Evans drop now a catch under the "new" rules?

Posted (edited)

On 3/28/2018 at 10:16 AM, Struds said:

Absolutely. A firm time limit - say 45 seconds - should be imposed. If you have to look more carefully than that to find a reason to overturn it,the call should stand.

I've said it a million times, but 90% of the time when a call is overturnable, the folks watching at home know it before the challenging coach has dropped their flag. Because the broadcast replays are shown seconds after the play is over.

They need a crew of trained officials in the booth AT the game that also know how to use the replay system and can do it immediately. Most reviews would take 30 seconds or less, and would give them more options to correct some bad calls without a coach even needing to risk a time out. At minimum you do away with the stupid time wasted while the refs get to and from the replay system, get started, and have to talk with the guys upstairs. Plus you separate the job of on-field officials over ruling their colleagues..

Edited by Ravens2006