Thirteen

45 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit

53 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/30/us/detroit-man-wrongfully-excused-of-murder-released-trnd/index.html

One of the first things Richard Phillips did when a judge finally declared him a free man is go on a grocery run. He was amazed to discover how many varieties of orange juice are on sale.

It's just one of many revelations Phillips is dealing with these days after 45 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit.
Phillips was exonerated earlier this week after a judge threw out his murder conviction. When he went in, the Detroit man was 27. He turns 72 next month.
The time he served behind bars makes Phillips the nation's longest serving exoneree in history, says the Innocence Clinic at University of Michigan law school.

"The world has changed, a lot of people have changed," Phillips told CNN on Thursday. "I have a lot of adjustments to make."

I used to be strongly death penalty, but no more.  We are seeing too many stories like this one.

Edited by Thirteen

2 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Sorry but people like Dylan Roof and Timothy McVey deserve the death penalty. 

Probably true...but great societies don’t kill their own.

4 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

We'll agree to disagree. 

What a travesty! I hope he receives every cent of compensation that he's entitled to.

As for the death penalty, I imagine I would choose a relatively-quick execution over 45 years of prison... whether I was guilty or innocent.

6 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

At least there is this...."Michigan adopted the Wrongful Imprisonment Compensation Act in 2016, which grants $50,000 for every year that a person has been wrongfully imprisoned. This makes Phillips eligible to receive up to $2,250,000."

I guess that's something, but at his age he'll probably be dead before he gets to use any of it. Hopefully he has heirs. 

Just now, bmore_ken said:

I guess that's something, but at his age he'll probably be dead before he gets to use any of it. Hopefully he has heirs. 

The article says he has children he hasn't see in 45 years. I imagine they'll be crawling out of the woodwork once they hear about this. 

15 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/30/us/detroit-man-wrongfully-excused-of-murder-released-trnd/index.html

I used to be strongly death penalty, but no more.  We are seeing too many stories like this one.

As best  can determine from this article...it sounds like they had NO hard evidence in the first place. The courts just wanted to pin it on somebody. In a fashion very similar to Syed. In cases such as these.....yes I totally agree with the death penalty not being on the table. 

HOWEVER, for cases like the Floida School shootings or the Pressure cooker bomber or the NY pickup truck killer.

No....they need to be put down. When the  evidence is VERY CLEAR and irrefutable...they visit ol sparky or take the intravenous Kool-Aid. IMO.

20 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

Hell,... for that kind of "rape", the government should buy Tropicana and turn the company over to him for what they did to him. AND,... everyone involved in his "rape", should have to experience one day incarceration for every year he served,... if they're still alive and working in the system. 

18 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

At least there is this...."Michigan adopted the Wrongful Imprisonment Compensation Act in 2016, which grants $50,000 for every year that a person has been wrongfully imprisoned. This makes Phillips eligible to receive up to $2,250,000."

Love the law,... but I think the amount is way too low. Add another zero and I'm in.

One only wonders how many black men are falsely imprisoned.

This is ONE of the reasons I don’t believe the stats about crime committed by African Americans.

30 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Sorry but people like Dylan Roof and Timothy McVey deserve the death penalty. 

sure -- BUT-- there's always that BUT-- 

The DPis simply not reversible--

Me, I'd restrict it to those already serving life without parole, for the simple reason without it for those guys, I don't know what it is that would prevent them from killing anybody they want to if the opportunity arose. Like he said, there's just too many coming up where its shown it was indeed a wrongful conviction. 

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

This is ONE of the reasons I don’t believe the stats about crime committed by African Americans.

if you had of been a cop for 30 years or so you'd probably be less skeptical

I agree wrongful convictions occur too often and blacks in that situation generally have less resources to prove it, but, still, overall they are  still a tiny number out of all convictions and not impactful on the stats

Edited by Saticon3

10 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

And one wonders how many black men that should be in prison.....aren't. 

1 minute ago, Saticon3 said:

if you had of been a cop for 30 years or so you'd probably be less skeptical

I was not a cop for that length of time. But, one thing is pretty sure in my opinion; be they black or white..99% of the time....if they didn't do this....they probably did that...which they didn't get nailed on. 

Just experience talking. 

33 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

We do not live in a great society.

9 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

We do not live in a great society.

Greatness is relative....the measurements are judgmental.

But ... if we aren't a 'great' society....then please explain the number of people that are willing to risk everything to be here.....even if illegally?

If you think that the US stinks...as it always appears you do....then move back to your ancestral home land. 

11 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

But ... if we aren't a 'great' society....then please explain the number of people that are willing to risk everything to be here.....even if illegally?

If you think that the US stinks...as it always appears you do....then move back to your ancestral home land. 

A great society full of poor and ultra rich.  :rolleyes:

Oh the irony of the old leave the US if you don't like it comment.  Meanwhile, you complain about Baltimore 24/7 yet still live right near it.

3 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

A great society full of poor and ultra rich.  :rolleyes:

Oh the irony of the old leave the US if you don't like it comment.  Meanwhile, you complain about Baltimore 24/7 yet still live right near it.

LMAO!!!!!

I wonder if he likes those facts.

30 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Would rather be in a gun battle against a guy with a hand gun or a guy with a machine gun? NIce choice, right?

1 hour ago, Thirteen said:

Like this guy, in Chicago.  The White Sox gave him his job back after 23 years.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-freed-inmate-white-sox-20180321-story.html

Reading the back stories the two cops need to pay these guys for thier 23 years in jail. Add to that the 18 months between the DNA test until they finally released him!

Society owes him big!