Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zenwalk

Republicans Finally Find the Voter Fraudster: Texas Woman Gets 5 Years for Voting Illegally

91 posts in this topic

5 years?  Can anyone guess her race? Talk about petty, low class, vindictive behavior.

A Texas woman was sentenced to five years behind bars this week for voting illegally in the 2016 election while on supervised releasefrom federal prison.

Crystal Mason, 43, testified in court that she did not know that she was ineligible to vote due to her 2011 fraud conviction before casting a provisional ballot in the presidential election. In Texas, knowingly voting illegally is a second-degree felony, punishable by up to 20 years in prison.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/texas-woman-gets-5-years-prison-voting-illegally-n861516

42 minutes ago, zenwalk said:

5 years?  Can anyone guess her race? Talk about petty, low class, vindictive behavior.

A Texas woman was sentenced to five years behind bars this week for voting illegally in the 2016 election while on supervised releasefrom federal prison.

Crystal Mason, 43, testified in court that she did not know that she was ineligible to vote due to her 2011 fraud conviction before casting a provisional ballot in the presidential election. In Texas, knowingly voting illegally is a second-degree felony, punishable by up to 20 years in prison.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/texas-woman-gets-5-years-prison-voting-illegally-n861516

Vindictive and petty to enforce our laws?  Are there any laws we can enforce without being petty?  Suppose we ignore existing gun laws?  Or laws against voter intimidation?  Then we would no longer be petty and vindictive, right?  

Petty and vindictive because voter fraud is a GOP fake issue. So they find one woman and send her to jail for 5 years.  The thing speaks for itself.

She didn’t commit fraud. She didn’t know she wasn’t eligible to vote. 

Hopefully this poor woman wins her appeal. 

15 hours ago, soulflower said:

She didn’t know she wasn’t eligible to vote.

So if I go to the bank and and ask for all the money they have.  Can I say I wasn't sure if that was illegal, so it must have been okay,  as they gave me the money?

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

So if I go to the bank and and ask for all the money they have.  Can I say I wasn't sure if that was illegal, so it must have been okay,  as they gave me the money?

In previous cases of voting fraud the sentencing was probation. 

Former Colorado GOP chairman sentenced to four years probation, community service in voter fraud case

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/26/steve-curtis-voter-fraud-sentence-probation/

Edited by songfourone

Just now, overtaxed said:

Totally bad analogy. 

It's not the voter's responsibility to confirm his or her eligibility. It's up to the State election board. 

A better analogy is going to the bank to withdraw money from an account you believe you have access to (but do not). If the bank teller gives you the money from the account without confirming or denying your eligibility to withdraw from that account, that's a better analogy. 

She didn't know she was ineligible to vote and the State shouldn't have accepted her Provisional Ballot. 

We should be able to agree that 5 years in Prison is a terrible sentence for the Crime in her example. 

2 hours ago, overtaxed said:

Don't overtax your brain if you have limited resources...

5 minutes ago, EL-FLIPPO said:

Don't overtax your brain if you have limited resources...

Care to address the topic?

As for her excuse of not knowing she wasn't eligible to vote.   I thought not knowing the law was not the states problem, it was the individuals.

Thanks for the personal attack.  I guess when you have nothing else that is your fallback.

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

As for her excuse of not knowing she wasn't eligible to vote.   I thought not knowing the law was not the states problem, it was the individuals.

Thanks for the personal attack.  I guess when you have nothing else that is your fallback.

I addressed your comment. PERIOD.

What a stupid comment. :rolleyes:

Edited by EL-FLIPPO

41 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

Without any proof that she knew she was ineligible, the State can’t prove intent. 

Some crimes don’t require proof of intent. 

Obviously, you can’t unintentionally impersonate someone else or vote in two different States. 

But in this case, where’s the proof she knew she wasn’t allowed to vote? 

3 hours ago, songfourone said:

In previous cases of voting fraud the sentencing was probation. 

Former Colorado GOP chairman sentenced to four years probation, community service in voter fraud case

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/26/steve-curtis-voter-fraud-sentence-probation/

Sarcasm; well there is the answer.....he is a white male politician....and the women and ex-con and black. 

Clear as day. 

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, soulflower said:

Totally bad analogy. 

It's not the voter's responsibility to confirm his or her eligibility. It's up to the State election board. 

A better analogy is going to the bank to withdraw money from an account you believe you have access to (but do not). If the bank teller gives you the money from the account without confirming or denying your eligibility to withdraw from that account, that's a better analogy. 

She didn't know she was ineligible to vote and the State shouldn't have accepted her Provisional Ballot. 

We should be able to agree that 5 years in Prison is a terrible sentence for the Crime in her example. 

Well this is interesting....very interesting.

Let us think about this. How does one check for eligibility....if the voter does not have to provide one that is appropriate? 

Before I go on you may want to read this...................

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/01/03/what-expect-texas-voting-rights-court-fights-2018/

But the new law allows Texans without photo ID to vote if they present alternate forms of ID — utility bills, bank statements or paychecks — and sign affidavits swearing a “reasonable impediment” kept them from obtaining the proper ID.

So in a way...it pushes the proof burden back to the voter.......does it not?

And soul....I am not looking for a fight here. Considering all the other screw  ups in gooberment...(see Trump)...and how nothing is happening....that this women be singled out....for ONE vote....is pretty appalling.

I am looking at the voter process not this individual. OK? We clear?

Edited by Guido2

19 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Well this is interesting....very interesting.

Let us think about this. How does one check for eligibility....if the voter does not have to provide one that is appropriate? 

Before I go on you may want to read this...................

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/01/03/what-expect-texas-voting-rights-court-fights-2018/

But the new law allows Texans without photo ID to vote if they present alternate forms of ID — utility bills, bank statements or paychecks — and sign affidavits swearing a “reasonable impediment” kept them from obtaining the proper ID.

So in a way...it pushes the proof burden back to the voter.......does it not?

And soul....I am not looking for a fight here. Considering all the other screw  ups in gooberment...(see Trump)...and how nothing is happening....that this women be singled out....for ONE vote....is pretty appalling.

I am looking at the voter process not this individual. OK? We clear?

How is it the State’s responsibility to verify she had proper ID but not to verify she was eligible to vote? 

Don’t both things go hand in hand?

19 hours ago, zenwalk said:

Petty and vindictive because voter fraud is a GOP fake issue. So they find one woman and send her to jail for 5 years.  The thing speaks for itself.

How do you know it is a fake issue?  Is murder by cop a fake issue.  Can we safely ignore that?  

19 hours ago, soulflower said:

She didn’t commit fraud. She didn’t know she wasn’t eligible to vote. 

Hopefully this poor woman wins her appeal. 

So what you are saying is the woman was too stupid to vote.  

The whole issue is a made up one so Republicans can disenfranchise democrats.  Statistically speaking voter fraud doesn't exist. In fact, clinging to the fiction of voter fraud is a kind of election fraud in itself. 

9 minutes ago, zenwalk said:

The whole issue is a made up one so Republicans can disenfranchise democrats.  Statistically speaking voter fraud doesn't exist. In fact, clinging to the fiction of voter fraud is a kind of election fraud in itself. 

Voter Fraud exists but this is a bad example

There are plenty of examples where people ‘intentionally’ committed Voter Fraud but didn’t get 5 year prison sentences. 

13 minutes ago, soulflower said:

How is it the State’s responsibility to verify she had proper ID but not to verify she was eligible to vote? 

Don’t both things go hand in hand?

It's tax time soul. When you do your taxes don't you have to provide valid and legal documentation to verify your income and deductions? Of course you do. You just can't go ahead and use 'take my word for it' or better yet...a handwritten receipt you maybe have jotted down. 

The same holds true here. Now setting aside all the social justice civil rights things...which are valid to a point...and I don't care to discuss.

Looking at this situation; that is the Texas had laws for valid ID...but that was watered down. So, without a valid ID (as before) and having to rely on 'other' forms like a payment of rent slip...it is easy for someone to accidently or deliberately commit voter fraud.

A person could go to one voter place and present a rental form, then go to another....and not having a valid ID...present another 'other' form. With a singular valid ID like a drivers license when the person votes that number goes into the system and would be flagged if they tried (for whatever reason) to vote again. However in the case of multiple 'other' ID methods. That information is not put into the system and would not be 'consolidated' till after the fact.

As I said before; when I moved to MD I was shocked by the lackness of voter ID requirements. In NJ, you had to present, your drivers license, your voter card and your SS card before  you could vote. When I came here, I put those cards on the table and the lady looked at me like I had two heads. I explained, no we don't need that ....where do you live? :huh::huh::huh:

3 minutes ago, soulflower said:

There are plenty of examples where people ‘intentionally’ committed Voter Fraud but didn’t get 5 year prison sentences. 

Not a bad example .... a singular example...one vote....big whoooop. 

The real voter fraud is the gerrymandering (both sides) and the Electoral College.

THEY....are the best examples of voter fraud. 

From the OP’s article:

Still, not everyone gets hard time. A North Carolina prosecutor declined to bring charges against a woman who said she cast an illegal vote for Donald Trump in order to fulfill her mother's dying wish. "She made a mistake out of sheer ignorance without any intent to defraud or commit a crime," the prosecutor said, according to a local report.

Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Republicans tend to lump voter fraud and election fraud into the same thing. Intentional voter fraud statistically speaking doesn't exist.   When it is found generally it is like this lady - unintentional. Wonder how Trump's voter fraud commission and the millions of illegal votes cast for Hillary is coming along?

How often does it find fraud? For that, we turn to the much-cited 2014 analysis of voter fraud reported by The Post. Loyola Law School professor Justin Levitt looked at 14 years of voting and found 31 possible incidents of in-person voter fraud, comprised of approximately 241 fraudulent ballots.

A lot of those incidents were far from proven, mind you. Here's his description of one questionable incident:

Nov. 2012: A vote was apparently cast at the polls in the name of Evan Dixon in the general election in San Diego, CA; there is an Evan Dixon listed as dying 11 years earlier. It is not clear whether the two are the same person, or whether the death reports are accurate, and poll book records do not appear to have been investigated to determine whether the record of voting represented an impersonated signature or a clerical error.

The most significant chunk of those 241 are from 145 ballots that were cast between 2008 and 2011 in Michigan, where names, dates of birth and addresses of people who cast ballots matched those of people who'd died. Again, it's not clear if that's because someone had been signed in incorrectly at the polling place or if there had been some other clerical error. But for Levitt's expansive tally, it counts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/08/03/heres-how-rare-in-person-voter-fraud-is/?utm_term=.67acf7acc5f7

Edited by zenwalk

20 hours ago, zenwalk said:

They know they are being vindictive. Just like the police officers who murdered the black teen after their hero Roy Moore lost the election.

9 hours ago, zenwalk said:

If you are right, then you should have no objection to the citizenship question on the census.  Are you in favor of a definitive study that would shut up the people concerned about fraud once and for all?