Pickle20

Trump sending troops to the border

422 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, songfourone said:

Your deflection is noted.

:D

Your inability to bring up the dirt on me is quite telling. Folks here in Puerto Rico weren't waiting for the federal or state government to come to their aid. Communities helped each other along with charity organizations and businesses who pushed hard to get back up and running. I learned later how the governments and the unions here spent more time bickering and less time making a real difference in helping people. What Trump did exactly I still have no idea. I do know what my community did to help each other through it. 

1 minute ago, zenwalk said:

Sounds more like a dart team from a bar.

I imagine many do throw darts at a bar and toss back a few brews just like our well trained military members do to relax at the end of a day. 

1 minute ago, flyboy56 said:

I imagine many do throw darts at a bar and toss back a few brews just like our well trained military members do to relax at the end of a day. 

"Well trained" being the operative word here.

59 minutes ago, zenwalk said:

"Well trained" being the operative word here.

And what do you know about militias and their training? 

1 hour ago, flyboy56 said:

Your inability to bring up the dirt on me is quite telling. Folks here in Puerto Rico weren't waiting for the federal or state government to come to their aid. Communities helped each other along with charity organizations and businesses who pushed hard to get back up and running. I learned later how the governments and the unions here spent more time bickering and less time making a real difference in helping people. What Trump did exactly I still have no idea. I do know what my community did to help each other through it. 

Your inabilty to call Trump out on his tragic response to Puerto Rico is noted.

6 hours ago, Smokey 1 said:

How am I inconsistent?  I just don't believe the PC Act prohibits the military from defending our borders.  That is their primary mission.

The president can’t just send the military anywhere he wants in the country. The Posse Comitatus Act places strict restrictions on the use of the military within the US. Specifically, as Steve Vladeck of the University of Texas told Vox’s Alex Ward, it “requires specific congressional authorization before the president can use the military in a domestic law enforcement capacity.”

National Guard troops aren’t sent to the border to literally fight off immigrants — that’s still illegal. They’re not even sent to the border to catch immigrants; only Border Patrol agents are authorized to do that. So during previous mobilizations, the National Guard has done a mix of surveillance and intelligence work to help Border Patrol agents track down immigrants, and support work to help process those immigrants once they’re apprehended.

...Furthermore, many of the people who are coming to the US right now are people who are trying to turn themselves in to Border Patrol as a way to seek legal status in the US. They’re unaccompanied children, or families, from Central America; they might be trying to claim asylum because they fear persecution or torture in their home countries. National Guard troops can certainly help process those people, helping set them up with asylum officers to screen them and coordinating with other agencies to transfer them into custody while they wait for their cases to be resolved.

link

4 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

No but having the National Guard wouldn't be an issue. Several militia groups are already patrolling the southern boarder. And have been for some time. 

Here’s a novel idea ask Congress to authorize the guard. Of course since they are simply supporting CBP as is that is not needed.

4 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

Militia groups get permission from the owners to patrol on their land. The land owners are tired of seeing drug mules use their land to cross into the US with backpacks full of heroin and cocaine. This is why land owners welcome the militia groups. 

These aren’t drug mules. These are refugees. Again lining up people to keep them out is asinine as building a wall. Once they are here you can’t just push them over the border.

Oh for heaven's sake. Trump isn't getting his wall so he has to do something. Illegal crossings are down and have been for a while. It's all for show.

Trump really isn't much more than the thing he bragged about grabbing.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, hst2 said:

Trump really isn't much more than the thing he bragged about grabbing.

People who live in glass houses......

Edited by Smokey 1

Thirteen pages of angst over this POTUS doing something that the two prior POTUS' did. I'm sure if I look hard enough I will find comparable threads to those prior times, right?  :)

34 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Thirteen pages of angst over this POTUS doing something that the two prior POTUS' did. I'm sure if I look hard enough I will find comparable threads to those prior times, right?  :)

While it's probably a lot for you to read, the issue on this thread has NEVER been about sending the NATIONAL GUARD.  :)

You're welcome.

35 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

There was actually quite a bit of discussion about it, but I guess if you're going to defend a racist demagogue, you have to get in the spirit of it. Well done, sprightly.

Posted (edited)

46 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

People who live in glass houses......

ok. But, hey, you learned something about the PC Act.

You're welcome. 

Edited by hst2

13 minutes ago, hst2 said:

There was actually quite a bit of discussion about it, but I guess if you're going to defend a racist demagogue, you have to get in the spirit of it. Well done, sprightly.

Was there? Haven't been able to find the threads. Thanks in advance.

If you're going to lie about me defending anyone, that makes you a liar. Again. Not well done, hst2.

16 minutes ago, Cameron said:

While it's probably a lot for you to read, the issue on this thread has NEVER been about sending the NATIONAL GUARD.  :)

You're welcome.

And so is Trump sending the NG.

Key details about the President's plans to deploy National Guard troops have yet to be announced -- including how many troops he's requesting, where they'll go, how long they'll be there, exactly what they'll do and how much it will cost.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/03/politics/border-troops-deployed-obama-bush/index.html

Border crossings are at a 46 year low and this is about Trump's base and the midterm elections.

4 minutes ago, michiganjoe said:

Border crossings are at a 46 year low and this is about Trump's base and the midterm elections.

They'll gladly ignore the brewing trade war but nothing fires them up like a "Hispanic invasion" from the south.

2 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

They'll gladly ignore the brewing trade war but nothing fires them up like a "Hispanic invasion" from the south.

angst angst angst 

11 hours ago, songfourone said:

Your inabilty to call Trump out on his tragic response to Puerto Rico is noted.

Yes I blame Trump for causing such a catastrophic event. And that he didn't personally come down here and fix our problematic electrical grid. There, are you happy now?! 

31 minutes ago, michiganjoe said:

What was it about when obamma sent them to the Mexican border?