NCBirdfan

Robert Griffin III signs with Ravens

33 posts in this topic

I just heard this on the radio. They signed him to a one-year deal. I'm not really sure what I think about it.

Eh, back-up QB, not guaranteed to make the team depending on who they draft and how Woodrum performs.

It is what it is.

Posted (edited)

I've been a broken record on this... but Marty Mornhinweg has never HC'd or OC'd a successful offense without a mobile QB behind center.  Call me crazy, but this has all the earmarks of Marty putting a mobile QB in his toolbox so he can turn to him if Joe gets hurt, or God forbid continues to under-perform in Marty's "Mobile QB Oriented" system...

Ugh...

Edited by Ravens2006

8 minutes ago, NCBirdfan said:

I just heard this on the radio. They signed him to a one-year deal. I'm not really sure what I think about it.

Gertrude should be happy. :lol:

He's a good  guy, glad to see him get another chance, and if it becomes necessary, he just might leg out a win or two

Spent years on the other thread talking about how over rated rg3 was when he was at the top of his game .....

Washed out of the league he's supposed to be good now? .....

I absolutely love the pick. There is no risk and a very high reward here. If he sucks and doesn't make the team. No big deal. If he turns out to be great, we get a heck of a deal.

1 hour ago, RavingManiac said:

I absolutely love the pick. There is no risk and a very high reward here. If he sucks and doesn't make the team. No big deal. If he turns out to be great, we get a heck of a deal.

Except the reason he's out of the league was he couldn't play in the pocket ....

Joe is the quintessential pocket qb, so.....

Except for a few gimmick plays, what offense do you use .....

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Gertrude should be happy. :lol:

Or she will rant about Kaepernick still being a free agent. Regardless I figure you are elated for the same reason you pointed the finger at Gertrude. 

I think this is a low-risk, high reward signing.

Edited by Manny

46 minutes ago, Manny said:

Or she will rant about Kaepernick still being a free agent. Regardless I figure you are elated for the same reason you pointed the finger at Gertrude. 

I think this is a low-risk, high reward signing.

It is most definitely low risk. I'm not so sure about the chances of it being a high reward. IMO the NFL caught up to RGIII quite quickly and I'd bet that he lost a few steps as well. Maybe he will play wide-out.

52 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

Except the reason he's out of the league was he couldn't play in the pocket ....

After thinking about it for a little bit. I still like the signing simply because of the potential but I had forgotten about his time in Cleveland. If he couldn't make the team there, then he has to be pretty bad. Still though there is no risk really. If somehow he recaptures his magic, then it will be a huge reward with very little risk.

Signing a guy, RGSHE who couldn't play for the Browns. This shows they will NEVER sign Kap.

19 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

Signing a guy, RGSHE who couldn't play for the Browns. This shows they will NEVER sign Kap.

Kap was done, when Miami pulled Cutler out of mothballs last year.

Really not a whole lot to see here. If it hadn't been RGIII, this move would barely register.

5 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Exactly. Now the Ravens have an offense which doesn't really fit either quarterback.

There is no risk, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless a team doesn't figure themselves to be a contender.  He's only started around 14 games in the last three years.  If he were pressed into action by an injury to Flacco he would likely get hurt within two games.  I would rather give a rookie the second team snaps then give a guy who is an injury waiting to happen the same.  He washed out in Cleveland, and even Washington took another look at him and declined.  It's pretty much a waste of time, imo.  

10 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Kap was done, when Miami pulled Cutler out of mothballs last year.

Kaep was also a noted Castro supporter which would have brought out torches in Miami.

Posted (edited)

This is a "kick the tires" kind of signing.

Get some looks at him in TC, see him in action in the preseason, likely cut him after game 3 or 4 and maybe give him enough film so he can sign elsewhere.

I think Woodrum is better and I think whoever we draft will be better. Probably better fits for the offense, too.

I think there's a 98% chance that RGIII never plays another NFL regular season snap.

Edited by Pickle20

9 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Really not a whole lot to see here. If it hadn't been RGIII, this move would barely register.

Exactly what I posted on another site. The reality is if Flacco goes down the season is toast any way. Who backs him up is largely inconsequential. 

11 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Exactly what I posted on another site. The reality is if Flacco goes down the season is toast any way. Who backs him up is largely inconsequential. 

Nick Foles says hi.

I think you're right overall, but you have to give yourself the best opportunity to win if your QB1 goes down.

RGIII probably isn't that but it doesn't hurt to see what he's got left.

Kaep wouldn't have taken the one mil. Likely wants more.

2 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

If they draft a decent quarterback that may change.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, NCBirdfan said:

If they draft a decent quarterback that may change.

Good luck with that. Somehow I don’t see that happening but I would love to be wrong about it, but there  are too many DEs in the draft   :D

Edited by bmore_ken

7 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Nick Foles says hi.

I think you're right overall, but you have to give yourself the best opportunity to win if your QB1 goes down.

RGIII probably isn't that but it doesn't hurt to see what he's got left.

Foles is an exception to the rule. In fact, Foles is close to being RG3. Foles and RG3 were both starting quarterbacks who looked good in the beginning. RG3 looked better though. They both sucked after that and could not find a starting spot anywhere. Foles was able to land as a backup and RG3, as of now, is a backup. Foles was able to improve his game. Maybe RG3 can do the same. Highly doubtful but possible. It was highly doubtful for Foles as well.

As far as giving yourself the best opportunity to win if your QB 1 goes down, it's just not that simple. You have the salary cap. Should you use the 5 million dollars you have left on a backup quarterback who may never play or use it on a number two wide receiver or another lineman? Green Bay chose not to use it on a backup QB just last year. Maybe they will use your philosophy this year so they have a better chance of winning but then who do they get? Is there any backup quarterbacks out there that can lead the packers to a Super Bowl if Rodgers goes down? I can't think of any off hand besides one but I will not mention his name

As soon as I heard about this signing, the cynic in me was saying the Ravens signed this guy because our OL will suck this year.  Flacco will not make it through the season and  we need a guy who can run for his life.  Then I realized there is no downsize to bringing in RG3 because he is cheap and he could still be cut.....but either way, our OL will struggle this year.