Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CROUSEMAN

Can Buck get any worse??

78 posts in this topic

Buck having a dreadful 2018.  Blunders:

Pushing for Tilly, Rasmus and Alvarez to be resigned - check.

Bringing Alvarez north as a useless spare part (7 ABs and can't play in field) instead of another LH pen arm like Edgin or JRod - check.

Putting Davis as a lead-off hitter - check.

Not pulling Brach after 28 pitches opening day - check.

Not allowing Wright to pitch the 6th inning after 82 pitches led to rule 5 guys in the 7th and a loss - check.

Anything else???

Davis continuing to be at leadoff is mind boggling.

Leaving Britton in the pen in the WC game with the end of your season on 3rd base and leaving Jimenez on the mound?  

Oh wait, wrong season, sorry...  :)

6 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

He is benched today!!  My thought is you will never see him at lead-off again.  That performance last night (0-5 with 4 Ks) should of cinched that.  Really haven't seen a ML hitter look worse than that in 5 ABs in a game.  He may be a complete non-factor this year.  Riding Slides anchor right to the bottom of 100 losses.

Just now, Ravens2006 said:

Leaving Britton in the pen in the WC game with the end of your season on 3rd base and leaving Jimenez on the mound?  

Oh wait, wrong season, sorry...  :)

Buck hasn't been the same since.  He has the managerial 'yips" :D

I'm not sure how to critique Buck's use of the BP last night.

My first question is, how many pitches did MWj throw in his last ST start? I know he came in, in relief, in his final ST appearance. But how about his last start? 82 pitches isn't a lot during the regular season,  but it may have been much more than he threw in ST. As for using the rule 5 guys, that's a tough one. So I guess I would say, they have to get in the mix sometime. This is why I'm always so cautious to not get too amped about some unknown pitcher/player that has a great ST. 

16 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I'm not sure how to critique Buck's use of the BP last night.

My first question is, how many pitches did MWj throw in his last ST start? I know he came in, in relief, in his final ST appearance. But how about his last start? 82 pitches isn't a lot during the regular season,  but it may have been much more than he threw in ST. As for using the rule 5 guys, that's a tough one. So I guess I would say, they have to get in the mix sometime. This is why I'm always so cautious to not get too amped about some unknown pitcher/player that has a great ST. 

He had no intention of using the rule 5 guys last night.  He was quoted as saying he was expecting 2 innings out of Givens. Big ask against the Stros. Not sure on Wrights pitch count in ST.  But he had several outings (not like Tilly) and he looked strong in the 4th and 5th innings.  So it seemed like a boner by Buck where he yanked Wright early so he had a chance for the win.  It was 4-3 when he left.  Backfired in a big way.

To answer your question...for everything he's not, Buck is certainly an achiever. So yes, I'm sure if he puts his mind to it he can get worse.

;)

8 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

To answer your question...for everything he's not, Buck is certainly an achiever. So yes, I'm sure if he puts his mind to it he can get worse.

;)

Good stuff :P

Since this is the closest thing to a game thread, and since I just happen to be able to watch the game, Bundy was really sharp again. His pitches were missing bats. The most enjoyable aspect of his game, was that he kept throwing stuff that was diving into the dirt, and the 'Stros couldn't lay off. CJ was great at stabbing those pitches and putting the tag on the would be runner, when necessary.

The O's were really patient, fouled off a ton of pitches, and worked the count against a DK, who didn't seem to have good command. They just couldn't do anything with RISP.

It looks like another loss. Oh well...at least Bundy is looking real good so far. 

16 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Since this is the closest thing to a game thread, and since I just happen to be able to watch the game, Bundy was really sharp again. His pitches were missing bats. The most enjoyable aspect of his game, was that he kept throwing stuff that was diving into the dirt, and the 'Stros couldn't lay off. CJ was great at stabbing those pitches and putting the tag on the would be runner, when necessary.

The O's were really patient, fouled off a ton of pitches, and worked the count against a DK, who didn't seem to have good command. They just couldn't do anything with RISP.

It looks like another loss. Oh well...at least Bundy is looking real good so far. 

Yep Bundy really good. They just have too many black holes on offense.  And I still think they are an arm short in the bullpen. You've got guys pitching the 7th inning that have no business being there.  Its all because we got two rule 5 guys you can't trust.  Get Alvarez off the team and get Edgin up.  

Rasmus really bad right now.  1-14 with 9Ks.  That's epic, in a bad way.  Buck ain't worried though.  As long as the Wild Turkey flows after the games you will see what you want to see:

“Colby, there is a lot more to him than meets the eye. There is a reason he’s been wanted by clubs. Very quietly he’s got eight or nine years in the big leagues. He hasn’t had a great start, but Colby is going to be fine. He’s a guy you can trust because he cares and works hard at it. Good teammate and everywhere he goes people like him. He’s in a good place in his life right now and he’s going to be a contributer here."

I thought Colby had the rep of being a terrible teammate.  Didn't they run him out of St Louis??

40 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Good stuff :P

I try.

Posted (edited)

I know Big Dan’s staunch supporters like Weird-O will continue to defend the ineptitude of the Front Office because of how “well-respected” he is across the league but it’s very obvious to the rest of Oriole fans & those who follow baseball that Duquette is clueless. The past few offseasons are examples. There was no plan, and no plan was implemented. The results are showing.

Showalter is playing with the hand he’s dealt. Two Rule Five picks in the bullpen? Laughable.

Still no leadoff hitter in his seven years at the helm. Pathetic.

Jon Jay could have been signed for same $$$$ as Rasmus. Nahhh, there is no need for someone with his “on-base” abilities.

So on, so forth.

Edited by pitbull

4 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

He is benched today!!  My thought is you will never see him at lead-off again.  That performance last night (0-5 with 4 Ks) should of cinched that.  Really haven't seen a ML hitter look worse than that in 5 ABs in a game. 

Yeah, you usually try to hide a hitter like that in the lineup. Not bat them first.

6 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

The way he's hitting, ANYWHERE in the line-up is mind boggling. 

2 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Rasmus really bad right now.  1-14 with 9Ks.  That's epic, in a bad way.  Buck ain't worried though.  As long as the Wild Turkey flows after the games you will see what you want to see:

“Colby, there is a lot more to him than meets the eye. There is a reason he’s been wanted by clubs. Very quietly he’s got eight or nine years in the big leagues. He hasn’t had a great start, but Colby is going to be fine. He’s a guy you can trust because he cares and works hard at it. Good teammate and everywhere he goes people like him. He’s in a good place in his life right now and he’s going to be a contributer here."

I thought Colby had the rep of being a terrible teammate.  Didn't they run him out of St Louis??

Most importantly, Buck likes the look in his eyes.  ;)

21 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

Most importantly, Buck likes the look in his eyes.  ;)

:lol: Yeah and don't forget Buck mentioned he is a guy you can trust :rolleyes:.  He can't play a lick, but I guess he trusts him not to sneak a shot of his Wild Turkey.

7 hours ago, weird-O said:

I didn't see the game, but Jim Duquette was on afterward and he was commenting how, after being noticeably patient against Keuchel (I think Schoop drew a 10-pitch walk), the Orioles suddenly abandoned that approach once Keuchel was out and the bullpen came in.

5 hours ago, pitbull said:

I know Big Dan’s staunch supporters like Weird-O will continue to defend the ineptitude of the Front Office because of how “well-respected” he is across the league but it’s very obvious to the rest of Oriole fans & those who follow baseball that Duquette is clueless. The past few offseasons are examples. There was no plan, and no plan was implemented. The results are showing.

Showalter is playing with the hand he’s dealt. Two Rule Five picks in the bullpen? Laughable.

Jon Jay could have been signed for same $$$$ as Rasmus. Nahhh, there is no need for someone with his “on-base” abilities.

So on, so forth.

Again, John Jay wanted a major-league deal and at that time, he was also looking for two years. Assuming that Austin Hays will eventually take over that position sooner rather than later, it wouldn't have made a lot of sense to block him with a guy who figured to be nothing more than a stop-gap.

Rasmus signed a minor-league deal, which meant that no one would immediately have had to come off the 40-man to make room.

In case you're scoring at home, here are the slash lines for Rasmus and Jay in 2017 against righties

Colby Rasmus: .291/.333/.582/.915

John Jay: .289/.364/.384/.748

Short rightfield porch in Camden Yards would also have favored Rasmus.

My guess is that once Cobb is ready, one of the Rule 5's will be gone.

7 hours ago, mdrunning said:

I didn't see the game, but Jim Duquette was on afterward and he was commenting how, after being noticeably patient against Keuchel (I think Schoop drew a 10-pitch walk), the Orioles suddenly abandoned that approach once Keuchel was out and the bullpen came in.

The relievers were hitting their spots much better. But more importantly, the umpire's strike zone started taking on strange new parameters. Caleb was called out looking at a strike 3 call that was so outside, his bat wouldn't have been long enough to graze it, if he had swung. The bummer was that Peacock made Schoop look like a pretzel, to end the game with Manny on 2nd. They couldn't capitalize with RISP. 

13 hours ago, pitbull said:

So on, so forth.

Pssssst 

Buck and Brady wanted Colby 

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Pssssst 

Buck and Brady wanted Colby 

Shhhhh...that doesn't fit he narrative. Just go with it. When you challenge the delusion, the patient is apt to become violent. :P 

Edited by weird-O

8 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Again, John Jay wanted a major-league deal and at that time, he was also looking for two years. Assuming that Austin Hays will eventually take over that position sooner rather than later, it wouldn't have made a lot of sense to block him with a guy who figured to be nothing more than a stop-gap.

Rasmus signed a minor-league deal, which meant that no one would immediately have had to come off the 40-man to make room.

In case you're scoring at home, here are the slash lines for Rasmus and Jay in 2017 against righties

Colby Rasmus: .291/.333/.582/.915

John Jay: .289/.364/.384/.748

Short rightfield porch in Camden Yards would also have favored Rasmus.

My guess is that once Cobb is ready, one of the Rule 5's will be gone.

Just curious, can you post their slash lines against LH pitching for 2017?  Honestly, I haven't looked at them.  I do know in the past Jay was very good against LH pitching.  Meaning he could play anytime and not be a one dimensional platoon guy.  Jon Jay just would of been such a better fit than Rasmus.  He can actually bat lead-off as well.  High OBP and doesn't K much.  What a novelty, but Buck doesn't like the punch and judy hitters.

Great pinch hitting appearances from Davis and Rasmus yesterday.