Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CROUSEMAN

Can Buck get any worse??

78 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, pitbull said:

I know Big Dan’s staunch supporters like Weird-O will continue to defend the ineptitude of the Front Office because of how “well-respected” he is across the league but it’s very obvious to the rest of Oriole fans & those who follow baseball that Duquette is clueless. The past few offseasons are examples. There was no plan, and no plan was implemented. The results are showing.

Showalter is playing with the hand he’s dealt. Two Rule Five picks in the bullpen? Laughable.

Still no leadoff hitter in his seven years at the helm. Pathetic.

Jon Jay could have been signed for same $$$$ as Rasmus. Nahhh, there is no need for someone with his “on-base” abilities.

So on, so forth.

Other than Cobb (which was a great signing)   , it was a dreadful off season.  The jury still out on Cashner, but better than UJ.  The faults of the team were well documented, but they chose to go down the same path, again.  Brought in or brought back Tilly, Rasmus, Alvarez and Valencia when guys like Odorrizzi, Jay and Neil Walker were available on the cheap.

You replace the aforementioned duds with these 3 guys and this team has a whole different look and skill set.  Actually Jay and Walker would of been a heck of a one and two leadoff batters.  High OBP and low Ks. Both can hit lefty or righty pitching.  Setting the table for Manny, Schoop and AJ.

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Just curious, can you post their slash lines against LH pitching for 2017?  Honestly, I haven't looked at them.  I do know in the past Jay was very good against LH pitching.  Meaning he could play anytime and not be a one dimensional platoon guy.  Jon Jay just would of been such a better fit than Rasmus.  He can actually bat lead-off as well.  High OBP and doesn't K much.  What a novelty, but Buck doesn't like the punch and judy hitters.

Rasmus' slash against lefties is such a small sample size it's hardly conclusive. For the 2017 season, he had just 12 PA against lefties with two hits (.182 BA) and 7K's.

Interestingly, even though Jay's career BA against lefties is almost identical to that against righties (.288 to .289), only 85 of his official 379 AB's for the Cubs last season came against lefties. In that time, however, he slashed .318/.410/.341/.751. It's strange because while Jay's splits would suggest he's a bit more than just a platoon player, that's largely the way he's been used throughout his career. Most likely due to his rather weak defensive metrics. 

Edited by mdrunning

I just saw an article that said Vegas has Buck as the odds on fav to be the first manager fired this season. 

Clearly, Vegas doesn't know Angelos

Buck had a good game against the Yanks last night.  Got Mancini in the lead-off spot and pushed all the right buttons with the pitchers.  Best move was pulling Givens in the 7th before he allowed a big inning.  Finally made a move before the fire burned the house down.  Hopefully he can keep it going.

17 hours ago, weird-O said:

I just saw an article that said Vegas has Buck as the odds on fav to be the first manager fired this season. 

Clearly, Vegas doesn't know Angelos

They're probably basing that prediction largely on the fact that Buck's contract expires after this season.

On 4/4/2018 at 0:38 PM, CROUSEMAN said:

Bringing Alvarez north as a useless spare part (7 ABs and can't play in field) instead of another LH pen arm like Edgin or JRod - check.

Interesting in light of that exciting grand slam the other night.

7 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

Interesting in light of that exciting grand slam the other night.

Alvarez is the blind hog that found the acorn once. Still a dumb roster move in my book.  Look at the bullpen.  Its worn out already.  Lucky they were able to dump Kolby for the extra arm. 

The Orioles bullpen logged 26 innings in just over 71 hours this weekend. True, they gave up 17 hits and 15 walks, but also surrendered just six runs for a composite 1.93 ERA. 

5 hours ago, mdrunning said:

The Orioles bullpen logged 26 innings in just over 71 hours this weekend. True, they gave up 17 hits and 15 walks, but also surrendered just six runs for a composite 1.93 ERA. 

The bullpen was on the ropes before they hit New York.  Short outings by Tillman and Gasman early on put them behind the 8 ball right off the bat.  And until Alvarez finally found his Acorn in New York he hardly had played.  With Tilly and Wright such question marks coming out of spring training, the extra bullpen arm was the prudent move vs a DH that can only hit against RH and can't play the field.

9 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

The bullpen was on the ropes before they hit New York.  Short outings by Tillman and Gasman early on put them behind the 8 ball right off the bat.  And until Alvarez finally found his Acorn in New York he hardly had played.  With Tilly and Wright such question marks coming out of spring training, the extra bullpen arm was the prudent move vs a DH that can only hit against RH and can't play the field.

They ought to be glad I'm not managing because after another few games of this bullpen overload, I'd walk up to whoever was starting the next game and say, "guess what?  You're going 9 innings today.  I don't care if you give up 15 runs.  You will go 9 innings and if we lose, we lose."   It would be worth it just to see the expression on his face.

23 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Alvarez is the blind hog that found the acorn once. Still a dumb roster move in my book.  Look at the bullpen.  Its worn out already.  Lucky they were able to dump Kolby for the extra arm. 

He has a 471 on base percentage so far.

1 minute ago, JoyinMudville said:

He has a 471 on base percentage so far.

Big deal. In what 12ABs.  All the while the bullpen burns.  Shuttle of AAA guys.  And ALvarez an anchor that hardly plays.

3 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Big deal. In what 12ABs.  All the while the bullpen burns.  Shuttle of AAA guys.  And ALvarez an anchor that hardly plays.

on base 9 times in 18 at bats.

I don't know if he's stays on the roster for the entire year as he is a bit of a redundancy but he's anything but dead weight in the early going.

18 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

on base 9 times in 18 at bats.

I don't know if he's stays on the roster for the entire year as he is a bit of a redundancy but he's anything but dead weight in the early going.

Yeah he has been OK for a part time DH.  With a short bench you can't have one trick ponies like him.  He will be gone soon when Trumbs comes back.  I just don't think he is a very good player.  And certainly too one dimensional for what this team needs.  Just me take.

Amy this point, ride the hot hand. That’s Alvarez. Davis is colder thank Lake Vostok in winter. 

41 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Amy this point, ride the hot hand. That’s Alvarez. Davis is colder thank Lake Vostok in winter. 

You vill jump in lake. It put hair on your chest.

53 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Oh Buck will ride the hot hand right to the bottom of the ocean.  He will play both Davis and Alvarez till the cows come home.  We'll soon have a team of DHs with Trumbo, Alvarez and Valencia all on the roster. I'll bet my last dollar Alvarez will come back to earth to his normal putrid level.  But this "hot" start based on 13ABs, 20 plate appearances ensures he will be on the roster for most of the year.  Buck loves the guy.  His new Flash.  Must be the Vanderbilt connection :lol:  Bucks dream come true - having Davis Trumbs and Alvarez lined up in order once again.  Hulking DH one trick ponies - whoopee!!!!

Anyone who thinks Kedro has somehow re-invented himself into a decent player must also think Tilly is winning 20 games this year :D.  If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it.  Lets see what he is doing in June.  I just don't like the fact that he can't hit LH pitching and he can't play a position and he strikes out a ton. At least Trumbs can play a serviceable first base and can play RF in a pinch.

Orioles down by 1

1st and 3rd no outs. Santander on 1st.

Cisco scorches a double into the corner. Santander makes it to third. Buck puts in pinch runner Gentry at third. Orioles lose.

If Buck had made that move and put Gentry in for Santander at 1st, he would have probably scored on that Cisco double.

The answer to this thread is "YES"!!!!!  Keep running Tilly out there Buck to try and prove you have been right the last year.  The engine is done blown and Buck is in the drivers seat still turning the key.  Does he have no shame that he is burying guys like AJ, Manny ect every time he throws Tilly out there.  

Could also be names Could Caleb Joseph Get Any Worse?  .097 average, can't throw down to second without hitting the pitcher's mound now... ;)

6 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

Could also be names Could Caleb Joseph Get Any Worse?  .097 average, can't throw down to second without hitting the pitcher's mound now... ;)

He was a feel good story but I've never been convinced that he's the answer at catcher. I'd much rather see what Sisco can do.

17 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

He was a feel good story but I've never been convinced that he's the answer at catcher. I'd much rather see what Sisco can do.

I think it's obvious that CJ's bat disappears when he's used as a p/t or back up catcher. If he's not getting regular ABs, he can't keep up with MLB pitching.

Buck's plan was to use this season to gradually transition the starting catcher job from Caleb to Chance. But in 16 games, Sisco has started as many games as Joseph. And for good reason, so far he's proving to be a much better hitter. His bat more than makes up for whatever defensive shortcomings he has. 

3 hours ago, weird-O said:

I think it's obvious that CJ's bat disappears when he's used as a p/t or back up catcher. If he's not getting regular ABs, he can't keep up with MLB pitching.

Buck's plan was to use this season to gradually transition the starting catcher job from Caleb to Chance. But in 16 games, Sisco has started as many games as Joseph. And for good reason, so far he's proving to be a much better hitter. His bat more than makes up for whatever defensive shortcomings he has. 

His defense seems to have lagged a bit too.  I'm not talking about the throw on which he slipped yesterday, but rather his ability to block bad pitches, especially to his right. Something seems to be missing in his game. Maybe splitting the time more or less evenly is too much of a distraction for him to handle.